Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

• This recipe is from our wonderful Kara!

Quote:
    This has been an AMAZING breakfast!

*Spray the inside of a two or three quart crockpot with cooking spray.

*Pour in one cup of steel cut oats.

*Pour in four cups of water.

*Pour in half a cup of fat-free half and half.

*Pour in one cup of your dried fruit of choice.

*Sprinkle with cinnamon.

*Cover and set to low for eight to nine hours.

*Drizzle with agave nectar before serving.

My favorite so far has been dried cranberries and then about an hour before the oatmeal was to finish, I diced up some fresh apple and stirred it into the mix. The apples got warm but not mushy and it was SO good!

I also love to add walnuts, after the oatmeal's cooked.

Kara
  • I made this for breakfast for DH and I today and it was SOOO good, Kara! Thank you so much!

I used half dried tart cherries (sweetened) and half unsweetened cranberries and added some sliced almonds after it cooked. I haven't talked to DH yet, but I can't imagine he couldn't have loved this!
  • This didn't work too well in my crockpot the first time because my crock is too large. But I tried this method today and it worked perfect!

http://annkroeker.wordpress.com/2008...l-cut-oatmeal/
  • I've been wanting to try recipe this but have a huge crockpot. thanks Murph!

*ETA - It works great! Many thanks for sharing this link
  • I was short on oats last night and made an emergency substitution. Next time I will do this intentionally - it was really good.

1/2 c steel cut oats
    1/4 c wheat berries
    1/4 c quinoa
    4 c water
    dried blueberries & peaches
    sweet spices

Cook on low overnight, add chopped walnuts & heat through. This has the mixed texture I really like in hot cereal, smooth and creamy with nice little bitey bits
  • Cyn have you ever done this with 1/2 cup Quinoa or all Quinoa?
  • I've tried a few methods and found this one works the best....

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup non fat dry milk
    4 cups water

I put this mixture into a pyrex bowl, large enough to hold it all, but small enough to fit into the crockpot. I put 2 cups of water into the crockpot, then place the bowl in the crockpot. I usually do this in the evening, before I go to bed, and it's ready when I get up. It makes 4 servings.

I add chopped walnuts, cinnamon and a little skim milk. A few raisins or blueberries when I have them.
  • I LOVE oatmeal. I have to try this.