SUGAR BUSTERS JAN/FEB/MAR/APR/MAY/JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARDS

• This is the
    SUGAR BUSTERS JANUARY/FEBRUARY/MARCH/APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARDS

These boards have been compiled to make finding recipes easier (at least I hope it will).

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards individually, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BAORD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...839#post133441

NOVEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10560

OCTOBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9786

SEPTEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9038

AUGUST 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=7953

JULY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=6987

JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=6035

MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=4770

APRIL 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=3775

MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2379

FEBRUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2379

JANUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2358

DECEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2357

NOVEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2356

OCTOBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2354

AUGUST 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2353

JULY 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2351

If you find a bad link to any of the recipe boards, please take a moment to let me know so I can fix the problem. THANKS!
  • JANUARY 2001
    Posted by VR on 01-03-2001 12:29 PM:

ITALIAN-STYLE SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH HERBS RECIPE

1 medium baked squash, strands
    removed and put into bowl
    1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
    cheese
    1 garlic clove, minced
    3 tablespoons chopped parsley
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    l/4 teaspoon basil
    l/4 teaspoon marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Blend all ingredients together, tossing well with spaghetti squash strands. Serves 4 to 6.

Spaghetti squash has no fat and is amazingly low in calories -- only 25 per 1/2
    cup serving.

To bake: Pierce the shell in several places, put in a baking pan and bake in a
    350-degree oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the shell easily gives to pressure.

To microwave: Cut squash in half, place cut sides up in a large microwave-safe
    dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce wrap with fork in several places to allow steam to escape. Microwave at full power tot 20 minutes or until shell gives to pressure.

Once squash has cooked, allow to cool, then scrape out seeds with a spoon
    (these are great for roasting later). Using a fork, scrape out flesh into spaghetti-like
    strands.

Kris Wetherbee is a certified organic market grower of fruits, vegetables and herbs
    in Oakland, Oregon.3

COPYRIGHT 1999 KC Publishers, Inc.

COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group

Just put a squash in the oven.... warms the house nicely! This recipe looked good... will give it a try.

------------------
    Veronica

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by Debelli on 01-04-2001 10:49 PM:

This is a DROP COOKIE from my new (but actually an old) book, RODALE'S SENSATIONAL DESSERTS

BENNE WAFERS-A crunchy sesame cookie

1/2 c sesame seeds
    1/4 c butter, softened
    1/2c honey (use Agave Nectar if available)
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup minus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.

In a heavy skillet, toast sesame seeds, while stirring, over low heat until they are just golden (not brown).

In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in honey (or AN), then egg, and vanilla. Mix in flour and baking powder. Stir in sesame seeds. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto foil2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are golden.

Remove foil with the cookies on it. Put second batch in oven, or reline baking sheet if you only have 1 with foil. Allow baked cookies to cool on foil until firm. Then remove and cool thoroughly on wire racks.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

NOTE: You CAN use honey in this recipe to make it very close to being SB legal in regards to the 3gr sugar rule or less. There are 24tsp on a 1/2 cup honey, which would give you a total of 3.2 grams of sugar per each cookie. If you can find it, AN is a better choice, otherwise, you may want to try and get 32 cookies out of this batch. Smaller cookie, but would definitely fall into the guidelines, giving each cookie 3grams of sugar!

Here's a great sounding PRESSED COOKIE!

Almond Spirals

1 c butter, softened
    1/2 cup honey (or Agave Nectar)
    1 egg
    1 tsp almond extract
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    3/4 c ground almonds

In a large bowl, cream butter until soft and fluffy. Beat in honey, (AN) then egg, and almond extract. Stir in flour and almonds until well blended. Chill dough until firm.

Prehat oven to 375F. Fit a cookie press with a spiral disk. Turn dough into press, and pipe cookies onto ungreased baking sheets, lifting press as soon as dough appears on the sheet. Bake for 7 minues, or until edges are delicately browned. Do not overbrown.

Cool on wire racks.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies. NOTE: These would easily be SB legal if you use the honey giving each cookie if you make 5 dozen, about 1.6grams of sugar in each cookie!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by cynsea on 01-04-2001 10:49 PM:

Enchilidas

1 pk ww tortillias
    2 can enchilada sauce ( I use mild)
    1 lb gr beef...cooked & drained of fat, and cooked in 1/2 jar salsa
    1 can Refried beans....cooked
    1 pkg shredder mexican cheese

prheat oven to 400. Spray a 9x13 pyrex with pam. Take one tortilla at a time, and heat in microwave for 15-20 sec...long enough for it to be plyable. Dip in sauce. ( I ususally have another pyrex with sauce in it)Put either meat or beans in tortillia and roll. Place in Pam sprayed dish. Alternate beef and beans until tortillias are used up. Pour can of sauce over everything and spread cheese on top. Cook in oven until cheese melts.

This is really delicious, and very filling. I could only eat one tortillia.

Posted by Melf on 01-05-2001 08:30 AM:

I made this for supper tonight & my husband & I really enjoyed it. I made it up as I went, but I think it's all legal. We cajuns would call this Eggplant Dressing & normally add rice to it. The next time I will try it with brown rice.

Eggplant Dressing/Stuffing

1 lb ground chuck
    1-1&1/2 lb eggplant, peeled & chopped in approx 1" cubes
    1 med onion chopped
    1 clove garlic
    Seasoning to taste
    approx 2 cup cooked brown rice or
    Puffed Kashi cereal

Start to brown meat, add chopped onions, garlic, & eggplant, saute` till meat is brown & vegetables limp. Add about 1/2 cup water, reduce heat, cover & simmer about 10 minutes. May need to add another 1/2 cup water if too dry. Add rice or cereal & let stand 5 minutes. Serve.

------------------
    Mary

Posted by Sasahm on 01-05-2001 09:43 AM:

I don't actually have a recipe. But what we had for dinner last night turned out really good and will probably be a repeat.

We threw a couple of chicken breasts (boneless) on our Foreman grill. Spiced them up w/ that Monterrey Seasoning by McCormick. Then we chopped the chicken breast up and put it on top of a bed of brown rice that I had cooked in chicken broth, garlic powder and a touch of season salt. Threw in some broccoli and parmesean. Added just a touch of soy sauce. Can I just say "MMMMMM"??

Simple, yet agreeable.
    Sara

Posted by cmd4joy on 01-07-2001 09:21 PM:

AROMATIC CHICKEN & LENTILS
    (from about.com - with a minor variation by me)

1 Tablespoon oil
    1 Cup leeks, sliced
    1 Cup onions, chopped
    2 Cups raw sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1-1/2 Cups tomatoes, chopped
    1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence
    1/2 Cup dry white wine
    2 Tablespoons tomato paste
    2 Teaspoons cinnamon
    1-1/2 Cups lentils
    3 Cups chicken broth
    1 Chicken, skinned and cut up (I used breasts only)

Preheat oven to 400. Place chicken in a large baking dish. In a nonstick skilled, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the leeks, sweet potates, tomatoes and herbes de provence for 5 minutes. Stir in wine, tomato paste, cinnamon, lentils and broth.

Pour over chicken pieces. Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours or until the chicken is cooked and the lentils are tender.

Yield: 4 servings

------------------
    Healthy Hugs!

Posted by Rosalie on 01-08-2001 10:37 PM:

Chana Dal with Pita Bread

1/2 cup chana dal
    1 small onion
    Small piece of squash - grated
    Green pepper
    1 tomato - cut into 8-12 pieces
    Parsley, basil, salt and pepper
    Sprinkling of lemon juice

Cook chana dal until tender. Drain off water and set aside. Chop onion and fry in pan for about 5 minutes. Add green pepper and squash and cook a few minutes more. Add chana dal to pan with seasonings. Mix well. Add chopped tomato and cook for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle on a little lemon juice. Serve with lettuce and grated cheese and a little mayo of desired in a pita bread or tortilla. Also good cold as a side dish.

Spicy Chana Dal with Squash

3/4 cup chana dal
    2 cups water
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stick of celery, chopped
    1 cup butternut or pepper squash
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    6 cardamom seeds
    Bay leaf
    1 tbsp unsalted chicken mix
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
    2 tspn oil

Put oil in pan and fry onion until translucent. Add cumin seeds and fry for 10-20 seconds, add other spices, celery, chicken mix, salt, water, tomatoes and chana dal. Bring to boil, cover and cook on low heat for approx. 60 minutes. Add squash and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.

Serve with whole grain bread or over a bed of brown or basmati rice.

The chan dal can be soaked in water and left in fridge overnight or cover with boiling water and leave soaking for a couple of hours to reduce cooking time.

Other lentils can be substituted for the chana dal but chana dal has the lowest glycemic index – 8 on the glucose scale.

For more information on chana dal go to Rick Mendosa’s web page http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Posted by cmd4joy on 01-11-2001 11:14 AM:

CRUNCHY PEA & CHEESE SALAD

10 oz frozen peas
    1 cup celery - sliced tihn
    8 oz sliced water chestnuts
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    1/2 cup diced green pepper
    1 cup monterey jack cheese
    1 cup ranch salad dressing
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    1 cup sunflower seed nuts

In a large bowel, toss together the peas (still frozen), celery, water chestnuts, onion, green pepper and cheese. In a small bowl, stir together the ranch dressing, sour cream and dijon. Pour dressing over vegetables and stir to combine. Sprinkle in sunflower seeds and stir well. Chill for several hours.

Yield: 4 main dish servings

Posted by cmd4joy on 01-11-2001 11:18 AM:

CHICKEN A LA GRANDE
    (adapted from a recipe in Sugarbusters book)

6 chicken breasts, skinned and boneless
    3/4 olive oil
    10 cloves garlic, smooshed
    salt
    pepper
    2 teaspoons herbs de provence
    1 cup dry white wine

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add chicken breasts, and brown. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until liquid is reduced in half.

The pan juices are delicious served over whole wheat pasta.

------------------
    Healthy, Joyful Hugs!

Posted by BIGORANGEBABEATWORK on 01-11-2001 07:53 PM:

VEGGIE QUESADILLAS

1 cup salsa (roasted bell pepper flavor)
    1 cup drained canned black beans, rinsed
    1 zucchini, shredded
    8 (6in) fat-free tortillas
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (use jalapeno-style for extra flavor)

1. In medium bowl, combine salsa beans and zucchini. Spread 1/4 of the mexture over each of 4 tortillas. Top each portion with 3 tablespoons cheese, cover each with another tortilla.

2. Heat an 8 or 10 inch non stick skillet over medium heat. One at a time, carefully cook each quesadilla, turning once, until cheese is melted, about 1 minute on each side. Cut each quesadilla into quarters, serve immediately

Posted by Debelli on 01-12-2001 06:51 AM:

All 3 of these come from an old RODALE'S COOKBOOK

CHICKEN BREAST FLORENTINE

10 ounces fresh or frozen spinach
    1/4 c plus 2 TBL butter
    1/4 cup WW flour
    2 cups milk
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 12/ tsp dry mustard
    1 TBL dried tarragon
    2 whole chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and halved
    3 cups cooked brown rice

Preheat oven to 400F

If using fresh spinach, cook for about 2 minutes, then chop and squeeze out all water. If using frozen, just thaw, chop and squeeze out water.

In a medium-size saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter. When hot, add flour and stir. Add milk all at once and stir with a wire whisk until it comes to a boil Stir in 1/2 cup cheese until melted. Add spinach, mustard and tarragon.

Place chick breasts between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound flat with a mallet.

In a large skillet melt 2TBL butter until hot. Add chicken breasts and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet.

Cover bottoms of 4 individual au gratin dishes or 1 large one with rice. Place chick breasts on top of rice with space between breasts. Spoon a generous amount of sauce over each breast and sprinkle with remaining 1/4C Parmesan. You may have some sauce and rice left over. Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

ZUCCHINI SAUCE

4 C chopped peeled zucchini
    1/4 C butter, at room temperature
    2 tsp lemon juice
    dash of pepper
    1 tsp soy sauce

Steam zucchini for 5 minutes. The drain thoroughly, place in a blender and process to a coarse puree. Transfer puree to a small saucepan and place over medium heat until heated thoroughly.

Whisk in butter, a little at a time. Add lemon juice, pepper, and soy sauce and stir to blend. Spoon over hot pasta-fettuccine or spaghetti is suggested.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/2C butter, softened
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cup honey OR agave nectar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cups WW flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1 cup chopped peanuts

In a large bowl combine butter, peanut butter, honey (or agave), vanilla and egg. Beat thoroughly.

Stir together flour and baking soda. Add to peanut butter mixture and blend. Add peanuts and mix. Chill dough several hours or overnight.
    Preheat oven to 325F. Oil a baking sheet.

Drop dough by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let stand for a few minutes on baking sheet before removing to wire racks to cool.

Makes 5 dozen. NOTE: If using HONEY this would go under the 3 grams sugar rule. Broken down this would give you approx. 48tsp of honey, you are making 5 dozen, (60 cookies), broken down, this will give you 3.02 grams of sugar per cookie.

Posted by overcome on 01-13-2001 06:09 AM:

Here is a "recipe" for marinated asparagus. I don't relly have measurements for it...

Place 1 bunch fresh asparagus in boiling water for about 3 or 4 minutes (depending on thickness but you know the skinny stuff is supposed to be the most tender). From the boiling water, place the asparagus in an ice bath (bowl filled with cold water and ice). Let rest for 20-30 mins.

In a shallow dish/container mix olive oil (enough to cover asparagus)and juice of one lemon. Toss asparagus and let marinate overnight. You could def. add your own spices, etc. This is just delicious eaten cold by itself, or in a salad, wrap, with some cheese, etc. And it keeps for awhile too!

Enjoy-
    Ashley

Posted by Rosalie on 01-13-2001 10:47 AM:

Coleslaw(1)

3-4 cups shredded cabbage
    1 red or yellow pepper
    2 tspn parsley flakes
    1/2 tspn basil
    2 scallions, chopped
    salt
    pepper
    Kraft coleslaw dressing.
    paprika

Mix together first seven ingredients. Add Kraft coleslaw dressing and mix well. Sprinkle paprika over top. Adjust seasonings as needed.

Note: all amounts are approximate as I don't measure anything. This is the favorite coleslaw in my family. I don't know if the dressing is considered legal. It has 3.5 gm carb. per 15 ml serving but it does not say how much of this is sugar.

Coleslaw(2)

Combine:
    1 cabbage, shredded
    1 Spanish onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped

1 cup sugar(I use 1/2 cup fructose)
    1 tspn salt
    1 tspn dry mustard
    1 tspn celery seed
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use less oil)

Mix last 6 ingredients and heat in pan until sugar (fructose) dissolves. Pour over cabbage mixture.

This keeps good in fridge for up to 5 days.

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 01-13-2001 10:05 PM:

FOR YOU CHICKEN LOVERS

CHICKEN WITH YOGURT SAUCE

6 boneless chicken breasts
    3 tbs olive oil
    2 onions sliced
    2 c. sotck or chicken broth (sugar free)
    3 tbs ww flour
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    3 tbs brewers yeast (optional)
    2 tsp tarragon
    1 tsp parsley
    1 c plain yogurt

Brush the chicken with the oil. Broil lightly on each side. Arrange chicken in casserole dish and surround with onions.
    Blend the stock (or broth)with flour, salt, yeast, tarragon and parsley. Pour over the chicken and cover.
    Bake 350 degress until chicken is tender..about 1 hr or until chicken juices are clear.
    Remove from oven. Remove drippings and blend with yogurt. Use the yogurt mixture as a sauce.
    Serves 6

from THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF NATURAL FOOD COOKERY....1971

ENJOY!!!!

Posted by beerlady on 01-14-2001 01:05 AM:

Bacon & Cheese Stuffed Chicken
    (quickneasyrecipes.com)
    Ready in 25 minutes
    Servings:4
    Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves(1 to 1 1/4 lbs)
    4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
    2oz Sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 4 pieces
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. Pepper
    1/4 tsp Paprika(optional)
    1 tbs. Olive oil
    1 tsp. arrowroot(to thicken)
    2/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 tbs. chopped parsley
    Directions:
    with a sharp knife, cut a pocket into the thickest side of each chicken breast.
    Stuff each half with 1/4 of the bacon & a piece of chese, seal with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper & paprika.
    Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 minutes per side, until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
    Remove from skillet & cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
    Stir arrowroot into chicken broth with a fork until dissolved. Add to skillet and bring to a boil, scrapping up browned bits on bottom of skillet.
    Cook 3 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
    Add chopped parsley. To serve, spoon over chicken.
    (ps. try using Gwantly's sugar free bacon)

Posted by overcome on 01-14-2001 09:03 AM:

Vegetarian Chili

1 med onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbls. olive oil
    1 1/2 Tbls. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. basil
    1/4 tsp. oregano
    1/4 tsp. cumin
    1 zucchini, finely chopped
    2 carrots, finely chopped (I didn't use these..you could subsitute any other legal veggie)
    2 14 oz. cans tomatoes, drained and chopped
    1 15 oz. can kidney beans, UNDRAINED
    1 15 oz. can kidney or any other kind of beans, drained and rinsed

In a large pot, sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Mix in seasonings. Stir in vegetables until well blended. Cook for about 1 min. over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce, and simmer 30 to 40 min. until thick.

1 cup serving=
    236 calories
    6.2 grams of fat
    10 grams of fiber

This was sooooo good. I used some yellow squash instead of carrots. I think I would use celery next time. This is the first time I made it and I was sooo happy with it. I did have to add some salt.

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 01-14-2001 09:38 PM:

GREAT SITE FOR RECIPES....OF ALL KINDS
    www.sugaraddict.com

Posted by Sasahm on 01-17-2001 09:47 AM:

Decided to go ahead and post this, as I may not be around Thursday.

QUICK CHEESE & BACON MUFFINS

2 cups flour (I used SGWW)
    1 cup milk
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp sugar (I used Splenda)
    3/4 cup tasty grated cheese (I used colby/jack)
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup crisp bacon pieces

In a large bowl place flour, b/pdr, sugar & bacon. Beat egg lightly, add butter & milk. Add to dry ingredients, add cheese & mix to just combine. 3/4 fill greased muffin pans & bake 400oF for 20-25 mins. Makes 12.

Posted by Rosalie on 01-17-2001 12:13 PM:

Red Beans and Rice

Rinse and soak 1 pound dried red kidney, pinto, or small red beans (about 2 cups)

Combine in large pot:

8 cups water

2 ham hocks (2 to 3 pounds)

1 cup finely chopped celery

1 cup finely chopped onions

1 cup finely chopped green bell peppers

2 tspns chopped garlic

2 bay leaves

1 tspn dried thyme

1 tspn dried oregano

1 tspn ground white pepper

1/2 tspn ground red pepper

Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the ham hocks are tender, about 1 hour. Remove the ham hocks and let cool. Drain the beans, add them to the pot, and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Add water as needed to keep the beans covered. Remove the meat from the ham hocks and add it to the pot along with:

1 pound smoked andouille or smoked kielbasa sausage, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Warm through. Serve over hot cooked rice.

Blackened Fish Steaks or Fillets

The original blackened fish was redfish, the spice mixture and accompanying technique was created by New Orleans chef Paul Prudhomme, and the result was a craze that vaulted Prudhomme to national fame. Fortunately, you can make this dish with any firm-fleshed steak or fillet, such as swordfish, red snapper, grouper, or catfish. Do not make this dish unless you have a functional exhaust fan. And turn off the smoke detectors.

Mix together in a shallow bowl:

1 tbspn minced fresh thyme, or 1 tspn dried

1 tbspn minced fresh oregano or marjoram, or 1 tspn dried

1 tbspn paprika

1 tspn coarsely cracked black or white peppercorns

1 tspn coarse salt.

Place a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Turn on the exhaust fan. Have ready:

1/2 cup clarified butter or olive oil

4 firm fleshed fish fillets or steaks (6-8 ounces each) rinsed and patted dry

When the pan begins to turn white, after 5 to 10 minutes, brush both sides of the fish with a little butter or oil, then dip into the herb mixture. Place in the pan and drizzle over each piece a little of the melted butter or oil. Cook for three to six minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Reduce the heat if necessary to keep the herb mixture from burning. Serve hot with lemon wedges.

Both above recipes from JOY OF COOKING.

Posted by Rhroo on 01-18-2001 06:42 PM:

Here is a quick one. I don't know about the velveeta sugar wise i think its legal!
    10oz velveeta light
    2 lbs of frozen mixed veggies-stir fry-mixed
    1 can of Rotel tomatoes
    3-4 cups F.F chicken broth
    cut cheese in cubes melt -heat till melted and veggies are cooked

Posted by Melf on 01-19-2001 03:38 AM:

can't remember where I found this receipe, but tried it & we really enjoyed it.

Rice, Black Bean & Feta Salad

1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I used cooked Kashi instead YUM!YUM!)
    1 pkg (4oz) Feta cheese crumbled
    1/2 cup each celery and green onions
    1/2 cup Italian Dressing
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate. Enjoy!!

This next receipe is my version of the one found on p.206 of Brennan's Sugar Bust For Life

Pork Chop & Rice Casserole

4 center cut pork chops
    1 cup brown rice
    4 slices green onions or chives
    1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    4 oz butter or margarine
    1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1&1/2 cups beef broth

Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Put raw rice in pan. Melt butter/margarine & saute` mushrooms, onions, green peppers, green onion/chives, & garlic in a frying pan. Mix with the rice. Brown pork chops on both sides & place on top of rice mixture. Pour beef broth over all. Cover with foil & bake in oven x 1 hr.

------------------
    Mary

Posted by Debelli on 01-20-2001 06:07 AM:

OATMEAL LACE COOKIES

(These cookies are very thin, very rich, but a little hard to handle. However, they are so good you'll agree they are worth the effort).

1 cup rolled oats
    1 egg
    3/4 cup honey - USE AGAVE NECTAR!!!!
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. One a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place oats in a blender or food processor and process until they become a coarse flour. Set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl combine egg, honey ( agave), and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add butter and contine to beat until smooth. Stir in oats. Drop by 1/2 teaspoons onto prepared baking sheet, about 3 inches apart (they will spread while baking). Bake for 12 miuntes. Remove from baking shee and cool on wire racks.

Makes 3 1/2-4 dozen. Using honey would give it too many grams of sugar per serving, so only use agave nectar or an alternative sweetener.

SOUR CREAM GARLIC DRESSING

1 cup sour cream
    2 tsp prepared mustard
    1tsp honey or agave (OPTIONAL)
    1 1/2TBL lemon juice
    1/2 tsp minced garlic

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Use immediately or store in a tightly covered container in refrigerator. Dressing will keep for 3 to 4 days without separating.

Spinach Custard

1 pound spinach coarsley chopped
    3 TBL chopped onions
    1 cup yogutr
    dash nutmeg
    dash of cayenne pepper
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 TBL butter

Preheat over to 350F
    Butter an 8" round baking dish
    Combine spinach with onions, yogurt, nutmeg and cayenne. Fold eggs into spinach mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish, dot with butter, and bake for 40-45 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 01-23-2001 07:26 AM:

CINCINNATI CHILLI

2lb chuck - ground twice in the meat grinder
    2 med onions- chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic - minced
    1 cup tomatoe sauce or 1 16 oz can whole tomatoes and the liquid.
    2 tbs ketchup
    1 c water
    1 tbs cider vinegar
    1 tbs chilli powder
    1 tbs paprika
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp honey
    1 tsp worchestershire sauce
    1/2 oz grated unsweetened chocolate

mix the following in a bowl together. It will make it easier when the time comes to add.
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp tumeric
    1/2 tsp marjoram
    1/2 tsp all spice
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp mace
    1/4 tsp ground corriander
    1/4 tsp ground cardamon
    1/2 dry bay leaf-crumbled
    1 tsp salt

Salt large cast iron skillet. Then turn heat on to medium and add meat, onions and garlic.
    Cook until all meat is browned. Add tomatoe sauce (or tomatoes and liquid),ketchup (you can omit this ingredient if using tomatoes),
    water and vinegar. As mixture begins to boil, add everything else. Adjust the spices to your taste as follows: add more salt if it needs perking up. Add more tumeric and cumin for "sweatier" chilli flavor. Add more cinnamon, cloves and mace if you want a sweeter taste. More cardamon for more bang, and more chocolate for body.

Cover and simmer on very low heat for 3 hrs.
    Stir and taste occasionaly adding tomatoe juice if it's getting to dry to ladle up easily.

If you have the time, chill the chilli and lift off the hardened fat.

Serve on a bed of spaghetti with shredded chedder completely covering the chilli..this is called a 3 WAY

4 WAY...add layer of chopped onion

5 WAY...add layer of kidney beans.

ENJOY...IT'S WONDERFUL....IT'S BETTER THE SECOND DAY AFTER IT HAS SET IN THE FRIDGE...

Posted by Debelli on 01-25-2001 08:27 PM:

This recipe sounds soooo good!

SESAME SQUARES

1c unhulled sesame seeds
    1/4c butter
    1/4c honey (use AGAVE NECTAR INSTEAD)

Toast the sesame seeds either in a heavy skillet over moderate heat or in the oven. In the skillet, stir the seeds until lightly browned. In the oven, place the seeds in a pie pan or 8x8 inch baking pan and toast for 15 minutes at 350F., shaking the pan every 5 minutes to redistribute the seeds. When golden, they are done.

In a medium skillet, melt the butter and honey (agave). Bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes.

Add the toasted sesame seeds and continue stirring over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minute until the mixture beings to turn color.

Spread into a buttered 8x8 inch pan and cool before cutting into squares. Do not allow to harden completely before cutting.

Makes 18 bars.

LEMON ALMOND SQUARES

1/4 c butter
    2T honey (AGAVE NECTAR, or other sweetener sub.)
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    3/4 c WW pastry flour
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1/4c ground raw almonds
    1/3 c honey (AGAVE NECTAR)
    2 large eggs
    2T lemon juice
    1/4 c ground toasted almonds*

Cream the butter and 2T honey (agave) then stir in the almond extract, flour and baking powder and ground raw almonds.

Press this mixture into a buttered 8x8 inch pan and bake 15 minutes at 350F
    Meanwhile, prepare the lemon layer by whisking the third cup honey (AGAVE) eggs and lemon juice.

Pour the lemon mixture over the partially baked crust, return to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle the ground toasted almonds over the top.

Cool, then cut into squares.

Makes 12 squares
    *Toast ground raw almonds in a small dish or pan in a 350F oven for 10 minutes This can be done along with the lemon squares during the last 10 minutes of baking.

VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

4 ounces cream cheese
    2T honey (AGAVE NECTAR or other sweetener)
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 to 2 tsp milk

Beat the cream cheese until fluffy
    Beat in the honey (agave) and vanilla
    Add the milk a drop at a time, beating constantly, untilt he frosting is very light. Do not add the milk too quickly or too much milk; the frosting will lose its air and become runny.

Makes enough for 12 small cupcakes.

CAROB CAKE/CUPCCAKES

The same recipe will work for a single 9x9 inch cake, two 8 inch layers or 18 medium cupcakes

1/2c butter
    2/3 c room temperature honey (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 whole eggs
    1 3/4c WW pastry flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/3 c carob powder (you can use unsweetened cocoa if need be)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2/3 c plain yogurt (pre-stirred until smooth)

Cream the butter and honey (agave) until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.

In a small bolw, measure and combine the flour, baking soda, carob, salt and cinnamon.

Using a mixer at a low speed, or beating by hand, add the flour alternately with the yogurt in three portions.

Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9x9 or 7x11 pan and bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick instered in the center comes out clean. (bake 8 inch layers for 20-25 minutes at 350F, and cupcakes 20 minutes at 375F)

Makes 1 loaf or 18 cupcakes.

Posted by Rhroo on 01-26-2001 12:24 AM:

Pizza soup

14 oz pizza sauce -lowest sugar you can find
    10oz l.fat pepperoni cut up
    1/2 cup diced onion
    20 oz tomato soup 1 can water
    mozzerella cheese
    mix all in a large pant till heated put the cheese on the bottom of the bowl pour in soup eat!
    I would try to find everthing with the lowest sugar count!

This is from Taste of Home
    Whole Wheat cookies
    1/2 c of butter or Marg
    1/2 c peanutbutter -no sugar!
    1/2 c honey (bet u could use active nectar)
    1 egg
    1 tea vanilla extract
    1 c whole wheat flour
    1/2 c nonfat dry mild powder
    1/2 c wheat germ
    1 tea baking soda
    in a mixing bowl, cream butter, pbutter, and honey. beat in the egg and vanilla. In another bowl, conbine the remaining ingredients: add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in SUGAR-NOT Bake at 350 for 8-10 min. till golden brown let cool on pans for 1 min before removing to wire racks to cool completely -4 dozen
    i guess this is semi legal!

Posted by cmd4joy on 01-28-2001 02:21 AM:

STONE GROUND WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS
    (from the Brennan's book)

1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 cups stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 stick butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Whip the cream until firm or holds its shape. In a bowl, with an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients with the cream. Knead for 1 minute and roll out to about 1-inch thickness. Cut the biscuits with a cutter. If desired, place a pat of butter or margarine on the top of each biscuit. Bake for about 10-12 minutes
  • FEBRUARY 2001
    Posted by cmd4joy on 02-02-2001 07:57 PM:

CONNIE'S VERY WONDERFUL SAUTEED SPINACH

2 10-oz bags fresh spinach leaves
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt and pepper to taste

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil. Add garlic and sautee for about 30 seconds. Add the spinach leaves slowly. Add salt and pepper. Sautee for just a few minutes until desired doneness (is that a word?).

Yummy!!!

If you like, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese is a nice addition.

Posted by Debelli on 02-02-2001 08:56 PM:

Here are 3 muffin recipes, haven't tried them yet, but they do sound yummy, and easy!!
    They came from The NATURAL FOODS COOKBOOK

WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS

2 1/4 cups WW flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/4 cup honey (use agave nectar or other sweetener equivalent)
    3 Tbl vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
    Combine flour & baking powder in a medium-size bowl.
    In a small bowl combine milk, egg, honey, and oil. Beat well. Ad liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until moistened. Fill prepared muffin tin half full.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack.
    Makes 1 dozen.

BRAN MUFFINS

1 cup bran
    1 cup WW pastry flour
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 TBL vegetable oil
    1 cup milk
    4 eggs, separated
    3 TBL honey (use agave or other sweetener equivalent)
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds, or nuts

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter muffin tins
    In a medium-size bowl combine bran, flour and cinnamon
    In a small bowl combine oil, milk, egg yolks, and sweetener. Add to dry ingredients. Add seeds or nut, or a combo of both of them.
    Beat egg white until stiff, and fold them into batter. Pour into prepared tins.
    Bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 1 to 1 1/2 dozen

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup honey (use agave nectar or other sweetener equivalent to)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup ww flour
    2 tbl wheat germ
    2 tbl bran
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (if using frozen bluies, add 1/4cup more flour)

Preheat oven to 35-F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
    In a small bowl combine eggs, oil, sweetener, and vanilla.
    In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ, bran, baking powder and baking soda. Add liquid ingredients and stir just until mixed. Blend in blueberries.
    Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake 25 minutes.
    Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 dozen muffins

Posted by cmd4joy on 02-03-2001 08:11 PM:

CREAMY CAPRESE PASTA
    (From Prevention's Guide FIT & FIRM AT 40 PLUS)

1 lb dry whole wheat pasta shapes (such as twists)
    1 8-oz container fat-free plain yogurt
    1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 lg clove garlic
    1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
    2 lg ripe tomatoes, chopped
    1 tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
    6 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed
    Fresh basil leaves (garnish)

1. Prepare pasta per package directions, eliminating any suggested salt or oil.
    2. While the pasta is boiling, place the yogurt, oil, salt and garlic in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add the basil, and upree until completely blended.
    3. Place the tomatoes in a small mixing bowl. Toss with the vinegar, and add the cheese.
    4. Drain the pasta, and place it in a large mixing bowl. Immediately pour the basil sauce over the hot pasta. Toss until the pasta is coated. Serve topped with the tomato and mozzarella mixture. Garnish with fresh basil.

Makes 5 servings:
    475 cal, 25 g pro, 76 g carb, 11 g fat, 4 g salt, 20 mg chol, 11 g fiber, 418 mg sodium, 378 mg calcium

Posted by overcome on 02-04-2001 11:40 PM:

Whole Wheat Waffle Batter

1 1/4 cup 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat flour
    1 1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    pinch of salt
    1 Tbls. sugar (try splenda)
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda

Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Use with a hot waffle iron.

1 Tbls sugar=12 grams sugar

Divide 12 grams sugar by the number of waffles the batter makes and you have the amount of sugar per waffle. This recipe made 8 large waffles(approx. 7 to 8 inches in diameter) in our waffle iron, which translates to 1.5 g of sugar per waffle.

Posted by overcome on 02-06-2001 05:29 AM:

Cauliflower Divine
    (a good sub for mashed potatoes)

2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen cauliflower
    1 crumbled chicken bouillon cube
    1/3 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
    butter (to taste...about 1 tablespoon)
    pepper and salt to taste
    dash of nutmeg (must use this for flavor)

Cook cauliflower according to package directions, but until very soft. Drain. Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix and whip well with an electric mixer.

About 4 servings

From: http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.co...cipes/index.htm

Posted by belinda on 02-06-2001 09:23 AM:

Roasted Broccoli (from Diet Club site)
    Bunch of broccoli, tossed w/ olive oil, garlic (if you like) salt (if you like). Spread in single layer on cookie sheet. Roast at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.
    Yummy!

Posted by Debelli on 02-08-2001 05:54 AM:

Chicken-Rice Salad with Cashews

3 cups chicken, cooked and coarsely diced
    1/2 cup celery, diced
    2 green onions, sliced thin
    3 cups cooked brown rice
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1 Tbl lemon juice
    1 tsp honey (agave or other sweetener equivalent to)
    1 tsp salt
    12 cup raw, unsalted cashew nuts (whole)
    Salad greens for garnish

Combine chicken, celery, onion and rice in large bowl

In a small bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, honey and salt; mix well.

Pour dressing over mixture and toss lightly but thoroughly.

Adjust seasonings; mix lightly. Place in fridge, covered, for about two hours before serving to blend flavors. (Cashews should be added just before serving-to retain crispness) Serve on crisp salad greens.

Serves 6

GREEK LEMON SOUP

6 cups concentrated chicken stock
    12 cup raw, brown rice
    salt to taste
    1 egg
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 Tbl freshly snipped parsley
    1/8 tsp cayenne
    fresh dill to garnish

Put 6 cups chicken broth in heavy saucepan or soup kettle and bring to a boil. Add brown rice to soup, season with salt and cook until rice is tender 15 to 20 minutes.

Put whole egg and two egg yolks into a medium sized bowl; beat with rotary beater or wire wish until light and frothy. Slowly add the lemon juice, beating together thoroughly.

Just before serving: dilute the egg-lemon mixture with one cup hot brother, beating constantly with wire whisk until well blended. Gradually add the diluted mixture to the remaining hot soup, stirring constantly. Bring almost to the boiling point-DO NOT BOIL OR THE SOUP WILL CURDLE. Stir in the parsley and cayenne, adjust seasoning.

Remove from heat and serve immediately, garnish with fresh chopped dill.

Makes approx. 6 cups

Posted by belinda on 02-08-2001 08:11 PM:

Cabbage Unrolls (from Diet Club site)
    1 lb ground chuck
    1/2 lb. pork sausage (I used Hot Jimmy Dean)
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    15 oz chopped tomatoes
    3 oz tomato paste
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin
    1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper

Brown beef, sausage and onions in oil or butter. Season w/ salt, pepper, chili powder to taste. Mix remaining ingredients except cabbage and cheese ( to make a tomato mixture) Layer one half meat mixture in square baking pan. Top with half of cabbage, then half tomato mixture and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 for one hour uncovered.

I misread the directions and had a tomato / meat mixture and layered it and it was fine. I also didn't use all that cheese, just a little for flavor. It was like a hamburger helper but crunchy and spicy. DH loved it! I would serve it with salad, or green beans maybe. Enjoy!

Posted by viv on 02-08-2001 10:48 PM:

This recipe is from the Somersizing book - I made it and it was fabulous - very very moist and tender - I'll give you my revised version of it, since I like things SIMPLE!!!

Chicken St. Germain Beaupre (she's so ostentatious!)

1 5-7 lb chicken
    3 TB olive oil
    4-6 fresh tarragon sprigs (or 2 TB dried)
    1 tb herbes de provence (i happen to have these...sage, thyme, lavender.... - what matters more is the cooking process, so throw whatever you have on..)
    3 Tb butter\
    (I used a fraction of the butter and oil, do whatever is comfy)
    3 whole onions, quartered

Preheat oven to 350.
    Fill large stockpot 1/2way with water and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to boil, add chicken and cover. Boil on stovetop for 20-25 minutes. Carefully lift out chicken.

Place parboiled chicken in large roasting pan. Bruce outside with olive oil, salt, pepper, tarragon and herbes. Place 1 sprig of tarragon inside. Rub (or spray) quartered onions with oil and place them around chicken.

Place pan in hot oven for 35-40 minutes. Bird is done when leg jiggles.

NOTES: My bird took longer. It was amazingly moist - the moistest chicken I have ever made. Big DS and DH were very complimentary - little DS eats nothing but pasta and pizza (LOL, hi glycemic).

I defatted the sauce the next day and served it as leftovers as well. There was more elaborate info on how to make a thicker sauce, but like I said, I like things simple!

Enjoy!

Viv

Posted by elliebellie on 02-09-2001 01:21 AM:

his is an easier and more successful meringue than the one that has already been posted.

Carob Chip Meringues

2 egg whites (the powdered kind, available in grocery stores, whips up great!)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    2/c CSplenda
    2/3 C unsweetened carob pieces (can find in health food store)

Lightly grease a cookie sheet, Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar with electric mixer or cuisinart til soft peaks form..Add the
    sugar, 1 tbl at a time, beating thill stiff peaks form. fold in carob pieces.

2. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on the pprepared cookie sheet. Bake in a 300° oven about 20 minutes or until
    lightly browned around the edges. transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

these actually hit the spot, and they're practically calorie free!

Posted by Debelli on 02-09-2001 09:47 PM:

Here's a site I found with some SB legal main dishes - a bit too much with the cream in some of them, but that can be scaled back/substituted!

http://www.breauxmart.com/sugarb.html

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 02-13-2001 04:48 AM:

TRIPLE LAYERED JELLO

2 small boxes sugarfree jello
    2 cups hot water
    3 oz cream cheese,softened
    2 c cold water
    4 tbs whipping cream

Pour the contents of the Jello boxes into a glass dish. Pour the hot water into the dish and stir to dissolve. Add the cream cheese and beat with ta mixer until the cheese is completely mixed in. The mixture will be frothy. Stir in the cold water. Whip the cream until stiff. Gently whisk the whipped cream into the jello mixture. Cover and refrigerate until firm. The mixture will separate into three layers: clear jellon on the bottom, flavored cream chesses in the middle, and flavored whipped cream on top..Serves 8

Posted by karen3000 on 02-15-2001 08:30 AM:

This recipe just came through on the Top Secret Recipe newsletter. With some minor substitutions, it should be legal. Sounds yummy!

Top Secret Recipes version of
    Chili's Lettuce Wraps

by Todd Wilbur
    Chili's take on the appetizer made popular at P. F. Chang's got diners across the country wrapping lettuce around chopped chicken. Now you can clone Chili's entree version of the Asian tacos along with the mega-addictive sesame-ginger and peanut dipping sauces at home. After you make the sauces and prepare the chicken, assemble the wraps by arranging some of sliced chicken into the center of a leaf of butter lettuce, sprinkle on some shredded carrot, perhaps a few crunchy bean threads, add a little dipping sauce and open wide.

Stir Fry Sauce
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon arrowroot
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon dried chives
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon chili oil
    1 teaspoon peanut butter
    1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger

Sesame-Ginger Dipping Sauce
    1/4 cup water
    3/4 teaspoon arrowroot
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    dash red pepper flakes
    dash parsley

Peanut Dipping Sauce
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/3 cup water
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon chili oil
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 chicken breast fillets
    4 green onions
    1/4 cup minced water chestnuts
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1 head butter lettuce

Garnish
    fried bean threads*
    shredded carrots

1. To prepare the stir fry sauce, combine the water and arrowroot in a small bowl and stir until arrowroot is dissolve. Add this solution to the other stir fry sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, or until thick.
    2. To make the sesame-ginger dipping sauce combine the water and arrowroot in a small bowl and mix until arrowroot is dissolved. Combine this solution with the other dipping sauce ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
    3. Combine all ingredients for the peanut dipping sauce in a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Heat while whisking until sauce becomes smooth. Remove from heat when done.
    4. To prepare the chicken heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts until done -- 3 to 5 minutes per side -- turning every couple of minutes. You can tell when the chicken is done by pressing down on the middle of each chicken breast. It should be firm.
    5. Remove the cooked chicken breast to a cutting board and slice it into strips with a sharp knife. Keep the pan hot. Load the chicken back into the same pan over medium/high heat, and add the water chestnuts. Heat for 1 minute.
    6. Add 5 tablespoons of the stir fry sauce to the chicken and heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. The sauce should be bubbling.
    7. Add the slice green onions and stir. The chicken is done.
    8. Prepare each serving plate with a bed of bean threads. Spoon one-fourth of the chicken onto the bean threads. Sprinkle the chicken with about a tablespoon of sliced almonds. Add three leaves of butter lettuce to the plate, along with a garnish of shredded carrots. Repeat for the remaining servings. Serve with the sesame-ginger dipping sauce and peanut dipping sauce on the side. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
    Makes 4 servings.

* Bean threads can be found in the Asian food section of your supermarket. Before using as a garnish the threads must be flash-fried in a skillet in 2 inches of hot vegetable oil. When the threads float to the top remove them to a towel to drain.

Posted by BIGORANGEBABEATWORK on 02-15-2001 08:18 PM:

HERE'S MY CONTRIBUTION FOR FEB 15th....

WW LINGUINE WITH FREST TOMATO SAUCE

8 C. CHOPPED TOMATO (ABOUT 5 LARGE)
    3 TBS CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
    1 TBS OLIVE OIL
    1/2 TSP SALT
    1/2 TO 3/4 TSP FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
    2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
    6 CUPS COOKED LINGUINE (ABOUT 12 OZ UNCOOKED)
    (COOKED WITHOUT SALT OR FAT)
    1 2 1/4 OZ CAN SLICED RIPE OLIVES, DRAINED
    3/4 C (3OZ) CRUMBLED FETA CHEESE

cOMBINE FIRST 6 INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE BOWL,
    AND STIR WELL. ADD LINGUINE, AND TOSS WELL.
    SPRINKLE WITH OLIVES AND FETA CHEESE. SERVE
    AT ROOM TEMPERATURE YIELD 6 SERVINGS
    (SERVING SIZE: UP TO 2 CUPS)

Posted by cheri45 on 02-16-2001 03:04 AM:

Don't know how this tastes. Just saw it in a magazine and thought it sounded kind of good.

GUILT-FREE SHAKE

8 oz. 2% or skim milk
    a couple of ice cubes
    a few drops of vanilla
    a teaspoon of instant coffee
    sweetner to taste

Just pulse in a blender.

Sounds kind of lika frappacinno!

Posted by elliebellie on 02-17-2001 02:18 AM:

1 1/2 unsweetened chocolate (I just broke up a couple of bars and put in in the measuring cup )

2 cups garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

4 eggs, or 1 cup egg substitute

1 1/2 c Splenda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbl Splenda

In small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave oven. In mixer, combine beans and eggs. Add Splenda, baking poweder and chocolate; process until smooth. Pour batter into non-stick 9" heart shaped or round cake pan. bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean Cool. Sprkinkle with tbl. splenda. cut into 10 wedges. Serve with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. (I cooked some rasberries with some unsweetened jelly)

the chickpeas make this cake nice and dense.
    I might experiment next time with adding a touch of cream cheese to make it a little less dry.

Posted by cmd4joy on 02-22-2001 07:17 PM:

BROWN RICE FLOUR COOKIES

1 cup brown rice flour
    2 Tbsp butter (melted)
    1/4 cup agave nectar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 egg (beaten)
    1 cup nuts (finely chopped)

Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Chill for a few hours or overnight. Roll into one-inch balls and arrange on oiled baking sheet. Press flat with bottom of glass. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

NUTRITIONAL DATA PER COOKIE
    49 calories
    2 grams fat
    1 gram protein
    7.2 grams carbohydrate

Posted by Debelli on 02-23-2001 12:22 AM:

I haven't tried either one, but they both seems easy enough!! Both recipes come from RECIPES TO LOWER YOUR FAT THERMOSTAT

WW PITA BREAD

1T dry yeast
    1 1/4 C warm water
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 C WW flour

Sprinkle yeast onto warm water and let stand for 5 minutes
    Add salt and flour
    Knead 5 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes
    Divide into 8 equal parts and roll into round balls. Roll out on floured wax paper which has been stuck to countertop with a little water.
    Place on non-stick baking sheets. Lets raise 20-25 minutes uncovered
    Bake at 500 for 5 minutes. They will put out during baking. Allow to cool before serving.

Makes 8

Nutritional info: Cal 135/protein 6/fat 1/Carbs 28

BAGELS

1 T dry yeast
    1 C warm water
    1 tsp honey (or agave nectar)
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 3/4 C WW flour
    2 qts water

Sprinkle yeast over warm water
    Stir in honey (agave) salt and 1 1/4 cup flour. Beat until smooth.
    Stir in remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes on floured surface. Cover, let raise until double, about 15 minutes.
    Punch down and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each piece into a smooth ball; punch hole in the center and pull gently to enlarge hole and make uniform shape. Let raise 20 minutes.
    Heat 2 qts of water to boiling in a large kettle. Reduce heat; add 4 bagels. Simmer 7 minutes, turning once.
    Drain on kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining bagels. If desired, sprinkle bagels with chopped onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds or caraway seeds.
    Bake on non-stick baking sheets until bagels are golden brown. 30-35 minutes.

Makes 8 bagels

Nutritional info: Cal 128/Protein 5/Fat trace/carbs 27

Posted by overcome on 02-24-2001 02:29 AM:

Swedish Apple Pie

Filling:
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. Splenda
    sliced apples
    Toss together and spoon into pie dish.

Batter:
    3/4 c. melted butter
    1 c. Splenda
    1 c. ww pastry flour
    1 egg
    1/2 c. nuts, chopped
    Mix together. Pour over apples and spread around.

Bake at 350 for about 20 min. or till done.

I realize fruit is supposed to be eaten alone, but the amount of ww flour is so small compared to the amount of apples, I felt comfortable with the combination.

------------------
    Poconos, PA
    Fitday Journal
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=overcome

Posted by cmd4joy on 02-25-2001 11:21 PM:

BARLEY YOGURT PANCAKES

4 tsp active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
    2 tablespoons agave nectar
    1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 eggs
    1 cup Bob's Barley Flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Soften yeast in warm water. Stir in agave nectar and set aside for 5 minutes. Beat eggs and yogurt together, and add to yeast mixture. Add flour and oil. Place batter in warm place for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. (may even stand overnight). Add baking soda. Pour batter onto hot, greased griddle and bake until brown and puffy. (remember the agave nectar causes it to brown fast - so don't get your griddle too hot) Turn and cook until done. Makes 12 pancakes.

Nutritional Information
    88.4 calories
    3.1 grams fat
    12.2 grams carbohydrates
    2 grams fiber
    3.5 grams protein
  • MARCH 2001
    Posted by Rosalie on 02-27-2001 07:10 AM:

SALMON CAKES

2 large sweet potatoes
    3 green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh coriander
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp each grated lemon rind, pepper and hot pepper sauce
    1 egg, beaten
    2 cans (each 7.5 oz) salmon, drained and flaked
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 lemon wedges

Peel and cut sweet potatoes. Cook in boiling water until tender. Drain.

In large bowl, mash sweet potatoes until smooth; stir in onions, mustard, coriander, salt, lemon rind, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Blend in egg. Fold in salmon. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using hands shape into eight 3/4 inch thick patties.

In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook 4 of the patties for about 5 minutes per side or until golden. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve with lemon wedges.

Tip: Mash canned salmon bones into the fish for a calcium boost of more than 30 percent.

Note: When I made these I used fresh (frozen) salmon. I used about 7-8 oz of salmon and cooked it in the microwave for about 7 minutes and continued as above.

Adapted from a recipe in Canadian Living magazine.

Posted by Melf on 03-10-2001 05:45 PM:
    LENTIL CHILI

I MADE THIS DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN CHILI & IT IS VERY GOOD, EASY & LOW COST, LOW FAT TOO

LENTIL CHILI

2 Tbsb vegetable or olive oil
    2 cups coarsely chopped onions
    1 red bell pepper, coursely chopped (green works just as well)
    3 lg cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 can (280z) Italian plum tomatoes in puree (I used 1can stewed & 1 can rotel)
    1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
    1 small zucchini, diced (1 cup)
    1 can black beans, rinsed
    1/2 cup bulgur wheat
    add water according to thickness perfered
    Accompaniments: chopped red pepper & red onion, shredded Cheddar cheese & lettuce

1. Heat oil in a heavy 3-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add onions & bell pepper & saute` 10 minutes or just until beginning to brown. Stir in garlic & saute` 1 min. Stir in chili powder, oregano & cumin; saute` 1 min longer.

2. Add tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, and simmer 20 minutes.

3.Meanwhile in a 2 qt saucepan, gently boil lentils in 3 cups lightly salted water over medium-low heat 12 minutes. Stir in zucchini and cook 8 min longer or until lentils are tender.

4. Stir lentil mixture, black beans and bulgur into tomatoe mixture. Simmer, covered, 10 mininutes or until bulgur is soft. I found that I needed to add water. Serve with accompaniments.

Serves 4.
    *Per serving: 465 cal, 24 gm protein, 77 gm carb, 17 gm fiber, 10 gm fat (1gm saturated fat), 0 gm chol, 575 mg sod. Found in Woman's Day 9/1/00

Freezes well too... Enjoy!!

Posted by SusanF on 03-10-2001 08:40 PM:

CROCKPOT HAM AND LENTIL SOUP

2 cups dried lentils
    1/2 pound ham - diced
    1 onion - chopped
    1 - 3 bay leaves
    2 ribs celery - chopped
    1 clove garlic - minced (I use about 3 cloves)
    salt and peper to taste

Combine all incredients with 2 quarts water in a crockpot. Cook on low, covered 8 - 10 hours. Adjust seasonings and serve.

This soup is even better the next day.

Susan

Posted by cheri45 on 03-15-2001 10:32 AM:

Baked Rice with Cheese and Green Chilies

Serves 6 or more

* 1 tlbs canola oil
    * 1 med. onion, chopped
    * 4 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 1/2 cups raw)
    * 8 oz. reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
    * 1 cup non-fat ricotta cheese
    * 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 to 2 4-oz cans chopped mild green chilies
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and saute over low heat until lightly browned.

In mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 1/2 quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.

Haven't made this yet, but it sounded really good.

Cheri

Posted by Rhroo on 03-15-2001 01:11 PM:

Zucchini crust pizza

3 cups shredded zucchini
    3/4 cup egg subsitute
    1/3 flour -calls for white but use wheat of course!
    1/2 tea salt
    2 cups (8oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
    2 small tomatoes halved and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup onion
    1/2 cup julienned green pepper
    1 tea dried oregano
    1/2 tea dried basi
    3 tab shredded parmesan cheese

In a bowl, combine zucchini and egg subsitute: Mix well. Add flour and salt: stir well. Spread onto the bottom of a 12 in pizz pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350. Sprinkle with mozzarella, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, oregano, basil and parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or untill onion is tender and cheese is melted-yield: 6 slices
    One slice 190 calories 8g fat 2 g fiber 13g carbohydrate

I have not tryed this yet looks yummy in the picture!!!

Posted by gunnysax on 03-17-2001 01:00 PM:
    Low glycemic recipes

This site has some great recipes.
    www.nbizz.com/naturalhealthdoc/index.html

Also for all you George Foreman grill owners. www.georgeit.com

Posted by Debelli on 03-19-2001 07:43 PM:

Got this off a lo-carb site:

Olive Garden Artichoke-Spinach Dip

1 cup chopped artichoke hearts (canned or frozen and thawed) drain the canned ones
    1/2 cup frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    Dash of black pepper

Boil the spinach and artichoke hearts in a cup of water in a small saucepan over med. heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Heat the cream cheese in a small bowl in the microwave set on high for 1 minute. Or, use a saucepan to heat the cheese over med. heat just until hot. Add the spinach and artichoke hearts to the cream cheese and stir well. Add remaining ingredients to the cream cheese mixture and combine. Serve hot with crackers, chips etc. Serves 4 as an appetizer.

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 03-19-2001 09:26 PM:
    FRESH VEGGIE BEEF SOUP

1 large beef shank ( i always get one with a lot of meat)
    1 1/2 lbs of beef stew meat
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    4 cans beef broth
    2 zucchini
    1 large onion
    1 head cabbage
    6 medium turnips (optional)
    two heaping teaspoons crushed garlic
    1/2 lbs fresh pea pods
    lots of fresh kale (optional)
    2-3 yellow squash

I cook my meat in the pressure cooker. Cover with three cans of the broth. Add garlic and salt to taste. Pressure for 45 minutes after steam builds up.

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies are done.

YUMMMMMMMMMM

Posted by Rosalie on 03-20-2001 01:35 PM:
    CROCKPOT CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:

12 Large cabbage leaves
    1 lb Lean ground beef
    1 Beaten egg
    1 c Cooked rice
    1/4 c Milk
    8 oz Tomato sauce
    1/4 c Finely chopped onions
    1 ts Brown sugar
    1 ts Salt
    1 ts Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 ts Pepper
    1 tb Lemon juice

Method:

Immerse cabbage leaves in large kettle of boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp; drain. Combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef, and cooked rice. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each leaf; fold in sides and roll ends over the meat. Place in a crock-pot. Combine tomato sauce with brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.

I made this using Savoy cabbage - much easier to prepare than the regular cabbage as the leaves come off easy and I just rinse them and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften.

I added some seasoning as there was none listed in the recipe. I used 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. I would also suggest adding a little more tomato juice, depending on how much gravy you like.

Recipe taken from CHERYL'S KITCHEN
    www.linkline.com/personal/gingen

Posted by Fillise on 03-21-2001 10:58 AM:
    Pasta a la vodka

Here is the recipe from the Martha Stewart web site. The vodka is optional. Hodson Mills dossn't have a penne availabe in this area so I use the spirals. They hold the sauce really well. The really nice thing about this dish is that it is quick. You can make the sauce in the time it takes to cook the pasta.

Susan

PENNE ALLA VODKA
    Serves 4 to 6

Coarse salt
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound dried penne pasta
    1 medium onion, halved
    4 cups tomato purée
    1 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for garnish
    1/4 cup vodka
    4 leaves basil, coarsely chopped

1. Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the pasta, stirring to keep the pasta from sticking together. Cook until al dente.

2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion halves, cut side down. Season with salt. Cook 2 minutes. Add tomato purée, half-and-half, and cheese; stir to combine. Pour in vodka. Add basil, and cook until heated through.

3. Drain pasta. Remove onion from sauce, and discard. Add pasta to skillet, and toss until pasta is well coated with sauce. Garnish with cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.

Posted by debstahl on 03-22-2001 08:31 AM:
    Chili Con Carne

This works out great in a crockpot...do it all in the AM, then forget about it until dinner time!!

2 lbs. ground chuck (I actually use extra-lean ground beef, or even ground turkey can work)
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 tsp. celery seed
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. leaf basil
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 bay leaf
    3 tbsp. chili powder
    2-1 lb. cans tomatoes
    1/2 c water
    2 tbsp. red wine (I always end up adding more)
    2-1 lb. cans red beans, drained (look for ones w/out
    sugar added!)

Cook ground beef until browned; drain. Place beef, onion, garlic and green pepper in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, set to 275*-300*. Cover and cook 8-10 hours.

Posted by Debelli on 03-22-2001 01:28 PM:
    YUMMY SOUNDING RECIPES!

From my new book, HEARTY FAMILY FAVORITES

CRISPY OVEN -FRIED CHICKEN

Makes 4 servings

2 cloves garlic, peeled
    4 slices WW bread, torn into pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 tsp crumbled sage or thyme
    2 Tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup milk
    2 1/2 pounds chicken parts

Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Make the breading: Place the peeled garlic cloves in a food processor or blender. Process until finely chopped. Add the bread, Parmesan, salt & pepper and process, pulsing the machine on and off until the bread if finely crumbled.

Add the sage to the mixture and process to distribute evenly.

Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the breadcrumbs. Process the mixture until the butter is completely incorporated, then transfer the breading to a plastic or paper bag.

Place the milk in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the milk, then place them, a few at a time, in the bag of breading, and shake the bag until the chicken is well coated.

Place the chicken pieces on the foil-lined baking sheet, leaving space between them. Bake the chicken until the coating is crisp and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 45-55 minutes.

Don't remember where this one came from:

Cocoa Angel Food Cake

INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12 egg whites)
    3/4 cup sifted whole-wheat pastry flour or sifted
    unbleached flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup honey (use AGAVE NECTAR)
    Fresh fruit (such as strawberries, raspberries,
    blueberries or peaches) OPTIONAL

Place the egg whites in a 5- or 6-quart bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, sift the flour and cocoa powder together 4 times; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and vanilla. Then beat on medium speed until the egg whites form soft peaks. Add the honey, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating on medium speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks but are not dry.

Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in using a wire whisk or large spatula. Repeat sifting and folding in the flour 3 more times.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan with a removable bottom. Use a thin knife to cut through the batter to remove any large air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert the pan onto a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 1/2 hours. Then remove the cake from the pan. Slice and serve with the fresh fruit.

Chef's note: To differently flavor this cocoa cake, use 1 teaspoon of a flavor extract (such as almond, cherry, peppermint or orange) instead of the vanilla.

MY NOTES When using agave turn oven setting down by 25 degrees, and watch for doneness starting after 25 minutes. Haven't made this one yet, but it looks prettty darned good!

Posted by Rosalie on 03-22-2001 03:44 PM:
    CROCKPOT SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN

Ingredients: (see below for changes to make it SB compatible)
    1 Carrot cut in pieces
    1 Green pepper cut in pieces
    1 Med Onion quartered
    4 Boneless chicken breasts
    3 tb Instant tapioca (heaping)
    8 oz Pineapple chunks canned,
    2 tb Candied ginger or fresh,
    1/3 c Dark brown sugar packed
    1/3 c Red wine vinegar
    1 tb Soy sauce
    1 ts Instant Chicken bouillon
    1/2 ts Garlic powder
    Rice; hot, cooked

Method:
    Remove all skin and any fat from chicken before cooking. DO NOT DRAIN the pineapple, include the juice in the crockpot. Mince the ginger if using fresh ginger. For crockpot cooking Put vegetables in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Combine all other ingreds. except rice in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover crockpot and turn to low and cook for 8-10 hours. Serve over hot cooked rice

Recipe copied from CHERYL'S KITCHEN

Suggested changes to make it SB compatible:
    1. Use BARLEY instead of the tapioca.
    2. If you don't want to use pineapple try PINEAPPLE JUICE, which has a lower gi.
    3. Brown sugar can be substitued with Agave Nectar or other sweetener.
    4. One carrot would be about 1/2 cup which contains 6 grams of carbohydrate. I don't think this should be a problem if it is distributed among 4 servings. Can be omitted and other legal vegetable substituted.

This tasted delicious on the first day but even better when I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Posted by Rosalie on 03-22-2001 03:58 PM:
    Sweet-and-Spicy Garbanzo Stew

Ingredients:

1 cup Garbanzo beans
    7 cups Water
    1 Onion -- coarsely chopped
    2 Yams or sweet potatoes -- chunked
    1 Celery stalk -- sliced
    1 Leek -- sliced
    2 cups Broccoli pieces
    1 tablespoon Lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Soy sauce
    1 teaspoon Ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
    2 teaspoons Pure prepared horseradish
    1/8 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce
    Dash Cayenne pepper (opt)

Method: Place beans and water in a large pot. Soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Add onion, yams, carrot, celery, and leek. Cook for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook an additional 30 minutes.

Serving Suggestions: Pour into individual bowls or over any whole grain.

Helpful Hint: This dish can easily be made in a slow cooker. Add all ingredients at once and cook on the high heat setting for 8 to 10 hours. Be sure to soak the beans overnight before you begin.

I'm having this for supper to-night. Will let you know how it turns out. It certainly smells good - I have it in the crockpot.

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 03-23-2001 07:16 PM:
    MEAT LOAF

NOW I KNOW EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN MEATLOAF RECIPE

Next time you make one, if you use SB legal bread crumbs or crushed Triscuits as a binder, LEAVE THEM OUT and substitute COARSLY GRATED CABBAGE instead.
    Mix all your usual goodies in and bake! YUMMMMMM

Posted by MargaretA on 03-24-2001 01:32 PM:
    Pork Tenderloin Evangeline

1 lb. pork tenderloin
    Cajun seasoning to taste
    2 sweet potatoes, cut in quarters lengthwise
    2 zucchini, scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
    1 can small whole onions
    2 T. melted butter
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    salt and pepper if cajun seasoning isn't enough

Rub the pork with the cajun seasoning. Place the pork in an ovenproof casserole dish. Place the veggies around it. Drizzle the veggies with the butter and sprpinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the pork is thoroughly cooked and the potatoes are tender. Serves 4.

I usually cover the dish part of the time to be sure the sweet potatoes get soft. Sometimes I add a couple of tablespoons of water also.

by Deanie Comeaux Bahan

Pork tenderloin is often fairly expensive, but there isn't a single bit that goes to waste. I sometimes buy the seasoned ones and leave out the salt and cajun seasoning.

Posted by Melf on 03-26-2001 12:04 PM:
    Mochacino Pudding

Came across this low GI recipe & wanted to share it. Sure sounds terrific!

Mochacino Pudding
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The flavors of chocolate and espresso blended into a creamy pudding.

1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (Medaglia D'Oro is a good brand)
    2 cups milk
    1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix (sugar-free)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and instant coffee until coffee is dissolved. Stir in instant pudding mix and whisk for two minutes. Pour into 4 individual serving dishes. Chill until set.

Yield: 4 servings.

Posted by Rosalie on 03-26-2001 11:52 PM:
    OATMEAL BREAD

2 cups boiling water
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    2 tbsp molasses (or Agave Nectar)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tbsp oil
    1 package instant yeast
    3 1/2 to 4 cups Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour

Pour 2 cups boiling water over oats in large bowl. Stir in molasses (or Agave Nectar), salt and oil. Cool to warm (about 120 – 130F).

Add instant yeast to 2 cups of flour. Mix well and add to oat mixture gradually. Beat on low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute then on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often. (Add a little less of the flour at this stage if mixture is getting too thick to beat and add it with the remaining flour – making sure all of this 2 cups is added as it contains the yeast. )

Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft, non sticky dough. Knead for a few minutes to form a smooth ball. Let rest 10 minutes.

Shape into two loaves. Place in pans and cover with tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in size. Bake at 375F on lower oven rack for 25-30 minutes.

Makes 2 loaves 8x4 inch.

I’ve only made this bread using molasses but it should be O.K. using Agave Nectar. I can’t find any in the stores here so not able to experiment with it. If molasses is used each slice should contain approx 1.5grms of sugar.

Posted by MargaretA on 03-28-2001 01:39 PM:
    Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread

3 c. stone ground whole wheat flour
    1 c. buttermilk, warmed
    1/2 c. water, warm from the tap
    2 tsp. dry yeast..I just used a package of Fleischman's
    1 T. butter
    1/2 tsp. sweetnlow
    2 tsp. salt

Warm milk, add warmed water and yeast and mix. Let stand for a minute until dissolved. Place 2 c. flour, butter, sweet n low, and salt in mixing bowl and beat vigorously with flat beater. Replace flat beater with dough hook. Incorporate additional flour by flicking machine off and on to take stickiness out of dough. Scrape the side of the bowl and knead the mixture at a medium speed for 6-8 minutes.. Continue adding flour periodically until the dough is completely bound and comes clean from the bowl. Place in large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size. Punch dough down, shape into loaf, place in a greased 81/2 inch loaf pan. Let rise again to double in size. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool before slicing.

Note: I don't have a big mixer, so I just kneaded the dough by hand. I also cheated and put in 1/2 tsp. of sugar with the yeast. I was always taught that yeast needs sugar for food....don't know if it was necessary, but don't think 1/2 teaspoon will do much harm.

Posted by Frog Lover on 03-30-2001 11:57 PM:
    Low GI Cheesecake

Low GI Cheesecake

This recipe uses a crust made from Special K cereal.

Cheesecake:
    1 Special K pie crust
    16 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Blend in Splenda and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one until mixture is smooth. Pour into crust and bake for about 50 minutes until set. Allow to cool and refrigerate several hours.

Pie Crust:
    3 C Special K cereal
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    2 TBSPs Splenda
    4 TBSPs melted butter

Place cereal in a bag a crush the cereal with a rolling pin or potato masher. Turn and shake the bag frequently to make a consistent crumb. Pour crumbs into a medium sized bowl and stir in cinnamon and Splenda. Pour in melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly blended. Press the crumb mixture into the pie dish. It will not stick as well as traditional graham cracker crusts, just keep gently pressing. Rubbing a little butter to the inside of the pie pan will help. It will firm up after baking. Bake 5-7 minutes until set. Cool slightly and fill as desired.

I top mine with a diluted Smucker’s 100% Simply Fruit and smooth it on as a glaze. Then I top it with a berry (raspberry, strawberry, etc.) that goes with the spread and suits my fancy!
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
  • APRIL 2001
    Posted by The Quilter on 04-01-2001 07:00 PM:
    BEEF STROGANOFF

This is from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook. I made all necessary adjustments to make it SB legal.

1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1/8 inch slices
    2 T margarine or butter
    1 1/2 cups beef bouillon
    2 T catsup (use SF or make your own from SB for LIFE)
    1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 tsp salt
    8 oz mushrooms, sliced
    1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 a cup)
    3 T flour (I used WW flour)
    1 cup sour cream
    3 or 4 cups hot cooked noodles (I used the Hodgson Mills ww wide noodles.)

Cook and stir beef in butter in 10-inch skillet over low heat until brown. Reserve 1/3 cup of the bouillon. Stir remaining bouillon, the catsup, garlic and salt into skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in mushrooms and onion. Cover and simmer until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Shake reserved bouiloon and the flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into beef mixture. Heat to boiling; stirring constantly . Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.

Serve beef mixture over hot noodles. 6 servings

Okay, that's what Betty says to do. Here's what I did. I cooked the beef all night in the crock pot with the onions. Then cut up the cooked meat and put it in the skillet with the onions and most of the juice from the crockpot. Doing it this way doesn't take as long on the stove top. Basically you come out with the same thing, but the meat is cooked ahead of time.

Enjoy!!!

Posted by VR on 04-03-2001 11:59 AM:

Primavera Salad - Individual

Fill your bowl with Mixed Baby Greens* and top with:

*I buy a local brand Earthbound Farm Organic and it has Arugula, Radicchio, Mizuna, Baby Lettuce leaves, Frisee,
    Baby Red Chard and Baby Spinach. I get it at Costco in a 1lb bag for about $3.29

Red Apple - Sliced thin (about half the apple)
    Chopped Walnuts (about 2 tbls.)
    Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese (about 2 tbls.) - or you can use Blue but I like Gorgonzola on this salad
    Chicken Breast - grilled and sliced
    Red Onion - Thinly sliced

Mix Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar (add just a trace of sweetener - taste before you add)

Pour over salad

Makes a great lunch!

Posted by karen3000 on 04-03-2001 08:43 PM:
    Extra Easy Lasagna

Make one day before baking.

lg. package WW lasagna noodles - uncooked
    lg. jar spaghetti sauce (no added sugar)
    1 lb. hamburger
    24 oz. cottage cheese
    4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/2 c. parmesan cheese

Brown hamburger and add to sauce.

Layer into 9x13 pan as follows:

1. Small amount of sauce on bottom of pan only
    2. Noodles - Dry, uncooked
    3. Sauce
    4. Cottage cheese
    5. Mozzarella cheese
    6. Parmesan cheese

Repeat for second layer. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, covered. Bake 10-15 minutes, uncovered, until cheese turns golden brown. Let set for 10 minutes.

Posted by RodeoMom on 04-04-2001 02:23 PM:
    SB Ranch Dressing

1/3 cup of plain yoguart
    1/3 cup of mayo
    1/3 cup of buttermilk (I used sour cream)
    minced onion
    minced garlic
    chives (fresh or dried)
    season to taste.

Yummy

Posted by SolShine on 04-05-2001 11:59 AM:
    Greek Chicken Salad

This is so quick, easy and filling it's a favorite in my house. If it needs to be adjusted to be SB friendly please let me know, but it looks pretty good from what I can tell.

From Cooking Light Magazine:

3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (I use 1-2 cans of chicken if I don't have time to cook)
    1 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber (I don't take seeds out)
    1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tbsp sliced pitted kalamata olives
    3/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/2 cup light mayonnaise
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    3 garlic cloves, minced (I only use 2)
    4 (6 inch) pitas, each cut in half
    8 Boston lettuce leaves

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, oregano and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture; toss well. Cover and chill 2 hours. (Yeah, right!! I've never let it chill!)

2. Line each pita half with a lettuce leaf, and fill with 1/2 cup chicken salad.

Yield: 8 servings
    Calories 234 (30% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 2.3g, mono 2.3g, poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 18.8g; CARB 21.4g; FIBER 1.2g; CHOL 48mg; IRON 1.9mg; SODIUM 420mg; CALC 131mg.

(They didn't have the sugar gms to report) I just mix the stuff all up in one big bowl, scoop out onto lettuce leaves, add some tomato wedges and eat with Triscuits. I wanted to give the "official" directions and let you decide how to do it. 3 cloves of garlic is a bit overwhelming for my tastebuds.

Posted by SolShine on 04-05-2001 02:35 PM:
    Company Chicken

This meal got me many brownie points when I was dating! I hope it's SB worthy! It's sooo quick, easy and cheap!

6-10 chicken breasts or chicken breast tenderloins
    1 jar dried beef slices
    1 carton sour cream
    1 can creamy soup (cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or creamy chicken mushroom)

--Wrap chicken breasts with dried beef slices
    -- Mix together sour cream and soup
    -- Bake at 350 until chicken is cooked and dish is bubbly. (will depend on how many breast/tenderloins you use)

We used to serve it with mashed potatoes and Southern-style green beans. Now we'll use Wild Rice and steamed green beans and no crescent rolls.

Posted by Melf on 04-09-2001 10:13 PM:
    Salmon Asparagus Tart

1 pound asparagus, trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
    1/4 c. finely chopped onion
    1/4 c. chopped sweet red or yellow papper
    2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. mayonaise
    2 Tbsp. SGWW flour
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 c. half-&-half cream
    1 tsp. dill weed
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 can(15oz.) salmon, drained, bones & skin removed
    2 c. (8oz) shredded Swiss Cheese
    2 Tsbp. Grated Parmesan cheese

In saucepan, bring 1" water to a boil. Place asparagus in a steamer basket over water; cover & steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. **** I used my Black & Decker Steamer & set the timer for 10 minutes**** Drain & set aside. In a skilet, saute onion & red pepper in butter until tender; set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonaise, flour, eggs, cream, dill, basil & pepper. Fold in the salmon, aparagus, onion mixture & Swiss cheese. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with Parmasen cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
    Yields: 6 servings

Recipe copied from Taste of Home, April/May issue & substituted SSWW flour in place of white.

Posted by Melf on 04-09-2001 10:21 PM:
    MAPLE-DIJON SALAD DRESSING

3/4 c. olive or vegetable oil
    1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
    1/4 c. SF Maple syrup
    1/4 c. Dijon mustard
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 tsp. pepper

In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; shake well. Store in the refrigerator. Shake before serving. Yield:1&2/3 cups

From March/April 2001 Country Woman Magazine

Very good!!!

Posted by viv on 04-10-2001 12:46 PM:
    The BEST Salad Dressing!

VR - thanks for the balsamic response - now I can post this dressing and not feel illegal!

I made up this dressing guestimating following a trip to Macaroni Grill. Even my kids love it, and it has GARLIC in it!

Viv's Balsamic Cheese Dressing:

To taste:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar

Fresh cloves of garlic, pressed
    Fresh grated parmesan or romano cheese

Dash of Equal or Splenda to cut the bitterness

Mix all ingredients and toss with fresh romaine or green/red leaf lettuces, or a mix of baby greens. You really have to experiment with how garlicky/cheesy you prefer. The best thing is getting some fresh cheese and garlic on a leaf of lettuce! Yummy!!!

Posted by SolShine on 04-12-2001 09:56 AM:
    GREEK PASTA WITH TOMATOES & WHITE BEANS

2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
    1 (19 oz.) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (10 oz.) bag fresh spinach, chopped (about 8 cups)
    4 cups hot cooked penne (about 1/2 lb. uncooked tubular shaped pasta)
    1/2 Cup (2 oz.) crumbled feta cheese

Combine tomatoes and beans in a lg. nonstick skillet over med. high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Add spinach (a little at a time); cook 2 min. or until spinach wilts; stirring occasionally.

Place 1 cup pasta on each of 4 plates and top each serving with 1 1/4 cup sauce and 2 tablespoons cheese.

** Personal notes:
    -- I couldn't find any flavored tomatoes without sugar added so I bought Del Monte plain diced tomatoes and added fresh basil, garlic and oregano. I think it was better that way!
    -- Use a BIG skillet to make it easy to add the spinach
    -- We use all kinds of different pastas with this recipe. Last night we had WW spirals and it was yummy!

Here is the nutritional info that I have which is probably using refined pasta:

Calories 474 (12% from fat), Fat 6.4g, Protein 22.5g, Carb 84.7, Fiber 10.6g

Posted by viv on 04-12-2001 12:33 PM:
    No Brainers

Here are two, no three, of my old standbys that work great OP and make me feel like I am eating a real meal with very very little work.

PRIMAVERA WITH PASTA

I do this when I am making regular pasta for the kids.

Tons of fresh veggies, for me usually zucchini, onions, egglplant, mushrooms, peppers....whatever I have in the house - when I'm desperate I use frozen

Sauteed the veggies in a nonstick pan with lots of garlic and sprays of olive oil....I like adding the garlic at the end so the garlic doesn't get too cooked. I also first steam the veggies by tossing some water in the pan, then covering, and then spraying and sauteeing some more after they're more cooked to brown them.

Cook up a small serving of WW pasta.

When done, toss the veggies over the pasta in a nice big pasta bowl. I add some spritzes of olive oil, maybe some fresh basil in season, and a Tb or two of fresh grated parmesan or romano (none of that canned stuff!).

Hot, fulling and so good OP!

Next...

Quick Shrimp Sautee

I buy the easy peel shrimp whenever they're on sale. Defrost and peel, toss into a pan with some chopped onions, olive oil and garlic, and any herbs you feel like adding. I usually eat about 8 oz. Cook until pink, then spill onto a plate with a heaping salad. I am usually very selfish about this meal!

Last...

Really Healthy Omelette

I use this one when the kids are having some form of illegal food, like pizza....

Saute (again) some chopped veggies in canola oil. Pour on 1/2 carton of Egg Whites (healthier than EggBeaters, less additives - you could also crack your own eggs, of course).....Cook on low, covered, until partially set.

Sprinkle on some reduced fat shredded cheese (or shred your own). Fold in half, let set a bit till cheese melts.

This should make a BIG omelette due to all the veggies (the other nite I used onions, broccoli and shitake mushrooms), had some salad to go with it.

Hope you guys like these,.....would love some more Good N' Easy's to go with it!

Viv

Posted by VR on 04-12-2001 03:38 PM:

Tortilla Soup

Brown:
    1lb. lean ground beef and
    1 onion - chopped

Drain Fat and put meat/onion mixture into a crockpot

Add:
    1 16oz can stewed tomatoes (no sugar)
    2 16oz cans plain pinto beans (no sugar) or you can cook your own
    1 8oz can tomato sauce (no sugar)
    1 small can diced green chilies
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 tsp chili powder
    1-1/2 tsp ground cumin (I usually use a little more)
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    3/4 tsp crushed oregano

Note: I'm not a slave to exact amounts.. when it comes to seasoning. Taste as you go!

Cook 3 - 4 hours in crockpot (more does not hurt) or cook on top of stove for 45 to 60 minutes.

When ready to eat, put a handful of Tortilla Chips (for SB make chips out of SGWW tortillas or go without) and laddle soup over. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Posted by Debelli on 04-12-2001 07:38 PM:

Bite Size Crustless Quiche

Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter

1 cup chopped red and/or green pepper

1/2 cup chopped green onion

6 large eggs

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup grated cheese

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Steps:

Melt Butter, sauté peppers and onions till soft.

Let sauté mixture cool.

Combine eggs, milk, cheese etc. Stir in sautéed peppers and onions.

Spoon about 1 tbsp mixture into mini muffin tins.

Bake at 425 °F for 20 min.

Cool for 1 minute, then loosen with knife and remove.

Makes 36-44 quiche.

Posted by SparkleScamp on 04-15-2001 01:54 AM:
    Cream cheese stuffed mushrooms

This I totally made up as I went along, so it's not an exact science!

15 - 20 large mushroom caps
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
    1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
    3 strips bacon, crumbled
    2 eggs
    Schmear light olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F

Arrange mushroom caps on a baking dish or pizza pan lightly greased with olive oil. Save stems for another use.

Reserve a few chopped walnuts. Mix all remaining ingredients thoroughly. Mixture should be fairly liquid. Carefully spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Top with remaining walnuts.

If there is any mixture remaining, spoon it into a small glass dish and bake it. You can use it for your Triscuits.

Bake until set, uhm, about 20 minutes I suppose!

Yummy!

Posted by Debelli on 04-15-2001 11:24 AM:

Caramelized Onion Quesadillas

Yield: 4 Servings

1 tb Olive oil
    1 Red onion; halved & thinly sliced crosswise
    4 Green onions; sliced
    3 Cloves garlic; chopped
    3/4 ts Ground cumin
    1/4 ts Oregano; crumbled
    1 tb Lime juice
    4 lg WW Flour tortillas
    4 oz Shredded jalapeno-Jack cheese
    4 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
    Salsa; optional
    Sour cream; optional

Cook onions and garlic in heated oil, covered,
    until softened, about 15 minutes, stirring
    occasionally. Stir in lime juice.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Spread onion mixture evenly among 2 tortillas
    placed on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheeses;
    top with remaining tortillas. Bake about 8
    minutes, until cheese is melted and tortillas are
    golden around the edges. Let stand 5 minutes, cut
    each into 6 wedges. Garnish with salsa and sour
    cream, if desired.

Posted by Debelli on 04-16-2001 10:37 AM:

This is from the 3FC's Newsletter!!!

Baked Penne with Meat Sauce

8 oz. dried penne pasta (use WW pasta)
    1 can (14 oz) whole Italian style tomatoes
    1/2 of a 6 oz. can tomato paste
    1/4 cup dry red wine (or substitute tomato juice)
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives
    1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well. Meanwhile,
    in a blender container or food processor, combine undrained tomatoes,
    tomato paste, wine or juice, sugar, oregano, and pepper. Cover and
    blend until smooth, then set aside.

In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Stir in
    tomato mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for
    10 minutes. Stir in pasta and olives.

Divide mixture among 6 individual casseroles. Bake, covered, in a 375*F
    oven for 15 minutes. Or, spoon all of mixture into a 2 quart casserole,
    and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for
    about 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serves 6. Each serving contains 339 calories, 11 g total fat (4 g sat)
    24 g protein, 3 g fiber, 33 g carbo, 349 mg sodium, 7 WW points

Posted by iceskatefan on 04-17-2001 10:39 AM:

I found this recipe on the WW site a few years ago, and changed it up a bit to make it Mexican.

1/2 green bell pepper
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves
    4 boneless chicken breasts-chopped
    1 can low-fat chicken broth
    1 small. jar green chilies
    2 tbsp.. tomato paste
    1 cup brown rice
    1 can Mexican Rotel Tomatoes
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1'4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Garnish:
    1 lime
    Chopped Cilantro

In a large non-stick skillet or pot, brown the chicken.
    Remove chicken from the skillet and saute' bell pepper, onion, and garlic, until soft, about 5 minutes.
    Add chicken back to the pot. Reduce heat to low. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients.
    Cover and cook 25 minutes or until moisture is absorbed.
    Uncover 3 minutes.

A final squeeze of lime and some fresh chopped cilantro is nice.

(Did you know that most chicken broths have added sugar? The only one that I can find without added sugar is Hain in the can. The broth by the same company in the box also has sugar. I can only find this at the Whole Food Company.)

Posted by Rhroo on 04-19-2001 03:42 PM:

This is a no brainer!!!!!

veggie soup

2 cans of low sodium chicken broth
    6 cups of water
    7 bullion cubes (chicken)
    1 pk frozen chopped spinich
    frozen gr. beans
    frozen broccoli
    celery chopped
    half onion chopped
    zuccini chopped
    summer squash chopped
    throw it in a pan and cook with:
    couple cloves chopped garlic
    itialian spices
    i add 2 tab. tomatoe paste and sometimes a can of Rotel tomatoes makes it spicey!!
    pepper too!!!!

throw it in and cook it!!!!! you can put what ever veggies you like these are what i like cabbage is good too, cauliflower, anything leagal throw it in!!!!! its really is almost calorie free!

Posted by The Quilter on 04-20-2001 09:12 AM:

HONEY BUTTER SWEET POTATOES
    This is from the George Foreman Cookbook. So it's written as if you have the grill. If you don't just improvide. I think they would be good cooked under the broiler too.

3 medium sweet potatoes
    1/2 c lowfat margarine****I used real butter and cut back alot, probably used less than a half a stick.
    2 T. honey****I used the agave nectar. It worked great!!!!
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    nonfat cooking spray

Clean the potatoes, peel and cut into slices about 1/4-inch think. In a small bowl, combine the butter, agave nectar and cinnamon and stir until smooth. Coat the grill with cooking spray and preheat for 5 minutes. Place the potato slices in the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Spoon the butter mixture over the potatoes and grill for an additional 4-6 minutes. As the butter melts, it will run into the drip tray. Place the grilled potatoes on a seving platter and drizzle with the melted butter. Serves 4.

I'm not kidding if you like sweet potatoes, you will love this!!!! I thought the agave nectar was even better tasting than honey. Also just thought it might be extra good if you tossed a few pecan halves onto the sweet potatoes right before they were finished. Adding a little protein couldn't hurt!!! Enjoy!!!

Posted by Fillise on 04-21-2001 01:27 PM:
    Oven "Fried" Chicken

This is adapted from an old Weight Watchers Recipe. It can also be used with fish. I'm not giving exact measurements because you just make enough to coat the amount of chicken (or fish) you are using.

Into a bowl or zip-lock bag mix:

Non-fat dry milk
    Dry chicken seasoning (WW, or I use G Washington's Golden seasoning)
    Paprika
    Garlic Powder

Mix well and coat skinless chicken (or fish) with the mixture. Bake at 350 until done (30-45 minutes for chicken--less for fish--again it depends on size and amount).

My mother used to make this when we were kids and we loved it! So much that I have made it regularly throught my adult life--even when I wasn't particularly worried about nutrition!

Susan

Posted by RodeoMom on 04-26-2001 01:48 PM:
    Pizza

Okay...this is Cathy2's idea!!!

WW flat bread
    Pizza Sauce (Hunt's makes one with no added sugar)
    whatever toppings you like. I did pepperoni, cheese, mushrooms, jalepenos and a some Tony's Creole Seasonings.

Put in oven until cheese is melted.

The flat bread actually gets a little crispy !!

• MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD
    Posted by Debelli on 05-03-2001 10:20 AM:

I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounded so easy that even I, the one who hates to cook/bake, may even try it!

HONEY (AGAVE) HEALTH BREAD

2 1/2 cups SGWW flour
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy or rye flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt, if desired
    2 cups buttermilk
    1/4 cup honey (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda and salt.

2. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, honey (agave), and vegetable oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until the ingredients are just combined. Pour the batter into a well-greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or 2 miniloaf pans.

3. Bake the bread in a preheared 325 oven for 1 hour (45 to50 minutes for small loaves).

NOTE! When using agave nectar, generally you lower the temperature 25 degrees, so keep an eye on this if you try it with the agave nectar.

Posted by Debelli on 05-03-2001 10:27 AM:

WHEAT-AND-WALNUT MUFFINS

1 1/2cups whole-wheat flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired
    3 tablespoons wheat germ
    1 large egg, lighyly beaten
    1 cup skim or low-fat milk
    1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar)
    1 cup chopped walnuts (you can use less)

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and wheat germ.

2. In a small bolw, beat togethre the egg, milk and honey. dd this to the flour mixture.

3. Stir in the nuts, and let the batter stand for a fwe minutes.

4. Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin cups. Bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes (do NOT overbake, or the muffins will be too dry). Remove the muffins from the tin to cool on a rack.

NOTE! If using agave nectar, you may want to lower your oven by 25 degrees. I made these according to the 1tbl of honey (used agave) that it called for, there was no sweetness to them and they were a bit too dry. I would suggest increasing the agave to 1/4 cup, which is what I'll try to do with them next time I make them. I made a dozen mini muffins and 6 muffin caps-baking them for 12 minutes.

Posted by Debelli on 05-03-2001 10:33 AM:

WHITE CLAM SAUCE

2 dozen littneck clams or 1 10 ounce can whole or minced clams
    1/4 cup water
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt, if desired, to taste (omit if using canned clams)
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. In a pot with a cover, steam the calms in the ater. As soon as the clams open, remove them from their shells, and chop them. Save the liquid in the pots and any that drips from the shells. Straint he juice (If you used canned clams, chop them and save the juice.)

2. In a heavy sauceplan, saute the garlic in the oil for 1 minute, but do not let the garlic brown.

3. Add the chopped clams and enough of the reserved clam juice to the sauce so that the desired consistency is reached. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.

4. Serve the sauce over WW pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.

Posted by Debelli on 05-03-2001 03:27 PM:

This recipe is from Allrecipes and sounded easy:

Whole Wheat Wraps

4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup warm water

1 In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Pour in water; stir to combine. Mix in additional water in 1 tablespoon increments, until a soft pliable dough is formed.
    2 Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
    3 Flour each ball well, place between two pieces of wax paper and roll out to desired size and thickness.
    4 Heat an ungreased skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Peel away wax paper and grill rounds until brown flecks appear underneath. Turn and cook other side. Serve warm or cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

Makes 16 wraps

Posted by SolShine on 05-03-2001 03:39 PM:
    Spaghetti Squash N Clam Sauce

1 med. spaghetti squash
    1 jar SF spaghetti sauce
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp Italian seasonings (I used fresh)
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 cans (6.5 oz each) chopped clams [i](I couldn't find any without sugar so I bought 2 cans (10 oz. whole baby clams)

1. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds - poke holes in the shell

2. Place squash halves in the microwave for 8 minutes on high - rotate and put in for another 6 minutes or until tender.

3. Meanwhile - heat the olive oil over med heat and add onions, garlic and seasonings for about 3 minutes.

4. Add sauce to onions, etc. and 1 can of clams with some of the juice. Drain the other can and add just the clams.

5. Bring to a slow boil - then lower to simmer and simmer for a few minutes.

6. Scrape the "spaghetti" from the squash onto plates and add sauce to the spaghetti.

We add a little cayenne and Parmesan to ours.
    So simple, good and healthy!

Posted by SparkleScamp on 05-05-2001 04:58 AM:
    Bluer than Blue mini muffins

I totally made this up! Don't make them before TOM.

1 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup plain yogurt, no gelatin brand
    1 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
    1 cup frozen blueberries and/or marionberries, thawed
    8 packets Splenda

1 - 2 tablespoon(s) butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first two ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Sift in baking powder and combine thoroughly. Mix Splenda and berries. Combine all ingredients except butter and mix gently until ingredients are just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Batter will be thick.

Generously grease 2 12-compartment mini muffin pans with softened butter. Spoon in batter to just above the tops of the muffin compartments.

Bake for 25 minutes. Cool and remove from muffin pans. Serve plain or with a tiny bit of sugar-free jam.

Makes 24 mini muffins.

~Chris

Posted by Melf on 05-06-2001 02:40 PM:
    Chile Verde Dip

Chile Verde Dip
    ( from Pampered Chef, Season's Best Recipe Collection Spring/Summer 2001)

1 can(16 0z) refried beans
    1 tsp plus 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
    1 lime
    1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
    1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
    1 can (3-1/4 oz) pitted ripe olives, divided
    5 oz cheddar cheese, grated, divided ( 1-1/4 cup)
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In small bowl, mix refried beans with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix; spread over bottom of deep dish pie plate which has been srayed or greased..

2. Juice lime to measure 1 tablespoon juice. Mix cream cheese, lime juice, chilies, garlic, & remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix until smooth . Add onion, olives & 1 cup of the cheese to bowl; mix well.

3. Spoon cheese mixture over bean layer in pie dish. Bake at 400* for 20-25 minutes or until hot. Remove to cooling rack. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, olives, sliced or chopped, & snipped cilantro. Serve hot with Baked Tortilla Chips, or favorite crackers. I used Triscuits.

Yields 16 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 120, Toatal Fat 9 g, Saturated Fats 5g, Cholesterol 25 g, Carbohydrates 6 g, Sodium 270 mg, Fiber 2 g

Posted by Debelli on 05-10-2001 06:42 PM:

This is not only easy, but yummy!!!!

Whole Wheat Sponge Cake

6 eggs, separated
    1 ts vanilla
    1/2 c honey, warmed (use agave nectar in its place)
    1 tb lemon juice
    1 ts grated lemon rind
    1 c SG whole wheat flour

Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom of a 9-inch tube pan. Butter the bottom of the pan; place waxed paper on the bottom, then butter the waxed paper. Do not grease the sides of the pan.

Place the egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until they are very stiff. Continue beating, and add the honey (agave) in a very slow, thin stream. Beat until the mixture is stiff and forms peaks.

Combine the lemon juice and rind and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Then fold one-fourth of the egg whites thoroughly into the yolks, using a wire whisk to stir, not beat, the eggs. Pour this mixture over the remaining egg whites and sprinkle the flour on top. Gently fold all the ingredients together, taking care to incorporate all the flour, yet not lose too much air from the egg whites.

Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated 350 deg F oven for 20 to 30 minutes. When the cake is golden brown and springy to the touch, and the sides begin to pull away from the pan, invert the pan on a cooling rack immediately. Let cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake with a knife and remove the pan. Remove the waxed paper and set cake on rack until cool.

NOTES: I've had this 3 times now, and it is fabulous, at least it is to me! We used the agave nectar, (no need to heat it as you would if using honey) reduced the temp by 25 degrees and baked it the full 30 minutes. If you try to invert it, be careful, ours slipped right out (thank goodness I was there to catch it). On the 2nd try, I added some lemon extract in it. Though my Mother didn't think so, it does freeze well.

I figured out the nutrional values:

FOR ENTIRE CAKE: approx. 1205 calories, 29 grams of fat, 210 carbs, 55 protein & 8 fiber.

PORTIONS: if you made 10 out of this recipe, it would be 120 cal, 3 fat, 21 carbs and 5 1/2 protein-approx. OR by the ounce, each ounce would be approx. 65 calories, 1.5 fat, 11 carbs and 3 protein. PLEASE NOTE: I had originally made a mistake on the carbs per ounce and it has now been updated to reflect the correct amount

Posted by catlover on 05-17-2001 09:30 AM:
    SF cheesecake recipe

I have not tried this yet. My sil made it for mothers day and it was good. She is going to try baking the crust first before adding cheesecake mixture. First time she just baked it all together.

Triscuit Cracker crust

1 cup crushed low sodium Triscuit
    1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar substitute
    ¼ cup softened butter or margarine
    for a little flavor add cinnamon to crushed Triscuits

Mix all ingredients together and place in a lightly greased 9 inch springform pan.

Cheesecake

16 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
    3 eggs
    1 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    12 packets sugar substitute (you might want to add more to taste).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 15 minutes. Pour mixture into a 9-inch springform pan. Place a pan of hot water in the oven. If water evaporates during baking, add more hot water as needed. Bake for 1 hour, turn off oven and leave cake in oven for 1 hour more.

Posted by Debelli on 05-17-2001 09:51 AM:

SPICY CHICKEN BREASTS WIT CARAMELIZED ONION-RED PEPPER RELISH

1 1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground red pepper
    4 (4 ounce) skinned, boned chichen breast halves
    2 cups sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
    2 red bell peppers, each cut into 4 wedges
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    2 tbl pine nuts, toasted
    1 tbl balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub both sides of chicken iwth spice mixture. Arrange onion and bell peppers in a 13x9 inch bakin dish, and top with chicken. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 (do not remove chicken from oven), and bake an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from dish, and keep warm. Remove onion mixture from dish, and chip. Combine onion mixture, pepper, basil, nuts and vinegar. Serve with chicken. Makes 4 servings (1 chicken breast half and about 1/2 cup relish).

Posted by Melf on 05-22-2001 12:40 PM:
    Fast & Hearty Pasta with Lentils

This quick low-fat vegetarian main dish sounds good & is from Busy Cooks. Its secret ingredient is a can of quality lentil soup. From the No-Time-To-Cook Cookbook.

1 lb. small shell pasta
    1 19-oz. can lentil soup*
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

* Progresso brand is a good choice.

1. Bring a 4-quart pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.

2. While the water is heating up, place the soup in a 1-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until hot. Stir in the garlic powder and black pepper.

3. Drain the pasta well, and return it to the pot. Pour the soup on top, and toss well.

4. Spoon the pasta into individual dishes. Top each with a tablespoon of Parmesan, and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

Posted by SolShine on 05-25-2001 12:38 PM:
    COTTAGE CHEESE IDEAS

Cottage cheese is a good healthy way to get our calcium and protein. I found these ideas on one of my favorite web-sites:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

I have not tried them all - and, given my aversion to tuna, I will not try some of them. Nevertheless, I figured some of you gals might appreciate the ideas so I've included them as well.

Cottage Cheese Fruit Dip
    1 cup cottage cheese
    sugar substitute to equal 2tbl sugar (more or less depending on taste)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    Combine above ingredients in blender. Serve with fruit. For the Ukrainians in the crowd, this is also nice drizzled over poppyseed cake. Or, you can simply mix cottage cheese with cut-up fruit for a nice fruit salad.

Tuna and Cottage Cheese Mix
    1 part canned tuna
    1 part cottage cheese
    This mixture is incredibly versatile. Eat it on its own or use it in a sandwich.

Bean and Avocado Salad
    1 part chopped cooked green beans
    1 part cooked kidney beans
    1 part chopped avocado
    1 part cottage cheese
    Splash of lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    Mix all ingredients together and serve cold.

Tuna Pasta
    1/2 cup tuna and cottage cheese mix
    1 cup chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    Mix and heat for a few minutes over medium heat, stirring often, till flavours combine. Toss with pasta and top with grated Parmigiana. For a variation, try adding salsa.

Tuna Melts
    Prepare tuna and cottage cheese mix. Spread over pieces of bread (nice multigrain buns cut in half work well for this). Top with sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese (old cheddar gives you the most flavour bang for your buck, and ensures you don't need a lot). Microwave for a minute or so, or grill under broiler (watch it--these burn fast!), till cheese on top is melted.

Tuna and Cottage Cheese Salad
    Prepare tuna and cottage cheese mix. Toss with vinaigrette, chopped tomatoes, mixed leafy greens, and whatever other fresh chopped veggies you feel like throwing in. You can even toss in some chopped cooked egg whites if you like. Tastes pretty good on its own or topped with grated Parmigiana (you guessed it, I put the stuff on everything!). As a variation, toss cottage cheese alone with some fresh chopped spinach and shredded red cabbage in a creamy dressing.

Cottage Cheese Pasta
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup chopped tomatoes
    Plenty of chopped fresh basil
    1/2 clove chopped garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    Mix and heat for a few minutes over medium heat till flavours combine, cheese melts a bit, and garlic becomes fragrant. Toss with pasta and top with grated Parmigiana.

Vinaigrette:
    (since vinaigrette recipes are as individual as chili recipes, this is merely a suggestion for those of you so culinarily impaired that the thought of prepping your own vinaigrette paralyzes you completely)
    1/2 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup olive and 1/4 cup flax seed oil
    1/4 cup red cooking wine
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/2 to 1 tsp Dijon mustard (depending on how zesty you like your vinaigrettes--I like them to burn my sinuses)
    Pinch of salt and pepper
    Pinch of dried basil, oregano, parsley, and/or garlic
    Combine all ingredients in a sealed container and shake to blend. You can adjust proportions to taste and add natural yogurt (or even blenderized cottage cheese!) for a creamier texture.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes
    (this one is a little more decadent and good for an indulgent cheat day)
    3/4 cup ww flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp double-acting baking powder
    2 tbsp powdered sugar (use sugar substitute instead)
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup milk
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Filling (mix all of these together):
    1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
    1 egg yolk
    1 tsp butter
    1 tsp vanilla/grated lemon rind
    Mix dry ingredients together. Beat egg and then combine with milk, water, and vanilla/lemon. Add mixture to dry ingredients and combine with a few swift strokes. Grease a nonstick skillet lightly and heat it for a minute or two. Pour batter into pan and cook very thin cakes on one side only. Remove from heat and place on a clean teatowel cooked side up (the pancake, not the towel). Place about 2 tbsp of filling into each cake then roll and return to pan seam-side down. Cook till brown, turning once. You might need to re-grease the pan. Serve hot, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

Cottage Cheese Nachos
    fat free cottage cheese
    lean or extra lean ground beef)
    some tomaotes/green peppers or salsa
    Triscuits

Combine all ingredients and you have some healthy nachos! They are awesome, high in protein, low in carb and fat....

also, try cottage cheese mixed with microwaved garbanzos and add 1 packet of Equal.....

Cottage Cheese and "Tasteless Tuna"
    Also, try this discovery: if you boil tuna for 2 minutes in water, it loses about 80-90% of that nasty tuna taste! Just don't eat it hot. Pour cool water over it and drain it so that it is cool and dry and it is almost tasteless! Mix it with cottage cheese and Equal and garbanzo beans and it is perfect!

Scramble some eggs and just before you are ready to take them out of the pan, add some diced tomatoes and some cottage cheese just long enough to make them warm. The cheese should just start to melt a little but still look like pieces of cottage cheese. (Sounds gross but tastes good.)

Cottage cheese & other stuff
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    1 cup of frozen blueberries (big plump ones, not pale little ones)
    1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or more to your liking
    1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, again to your liking
    4 teaspoons of slivered or sliced almonds

1) put the cottage cheese and yogurt in a bowl
    2) blend the blueberries (can be misc frozen fruit if market doesn't have any) with the applesauce
    3) put the blueberry mix into the above bowl
    4) put the nutmeg and cinnamon in the bowl
    5) mix it all up
    6) dust top with almonds
  • JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARD
    Posted by Debelli on 06-07-2001 09:41 PM:

I haven't tried this one, but it looked easy.

Breakfast Bran Muffins

2 cup milk
    2 cup whole bran cereal
    2 eggs
    ½ cup oil
    ½ cup agave nectar
    2-½ cup whole wheat flour
    4 tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt

Combine milk and bran in bowl. Let stand for 1 minute. Add eggs, oil and agave, beating well. Stir remaining ingredients together. Add to liquid ingredients, stirring until just mixed.

Spoon into greased muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes 12.

Posted by sef on 06-08-2001 12:10 AM:

ZUCCHINI PARMESEAN

I like eggplant parsmesean but of course all that frying and wrong sauce is no good. I had a friend who grew way too many zucchinis and thought of this. SO SIMPLE

Your meaurements are all your own. Pick the pan you wish to use. Spray w/ Pam.

Wash and slice zucchini. Put a layer of it in pan.

Spoon on a legal sauce, top with a sprinkle of grated parmesean cheese and a layer of grated or shredded mozzarella.

Repeat layers until you think you have enough for meal. I like some leftover too. I usually make at least 2 layers, sometimes 3.

Bake at 350' about 40 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.

Delicious. My dil is allergic to eggplant but she can eat this.

Posted by catlover on 06-08-2001 02:46 PM:

found this recipe while cleaning house this morning. I have not tried this yet. It is a recipe from the American Diabetes Association.

Sugar Free Oatmeal Cookies

1 C each whole wheat flour and oatmeal
    1 tsp each ground cinnamon and baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg,allspice, and cloves
    1/2 C raisins (omit)
    1 C unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 C water
    1/3 C vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 C finely chopped nuts

Combine flour,oatmeal,cinnamon,baking powder, baking soda,nutmeg,allspice,cloves,applesauce,water
    oils,eggs,vanilla, and nuts in a mixing bowl. Beat well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned.

Makes 48 cookies.
    each: 42 calories,1 gram protein,5 grams carbohydrates,2 grams fat, 22 millgrams sodium, 38 milligrams potassium,11 milligrams cholesterol

Posted by Debelli on 06-17-2001 04:20 PM:

This recipe looks sooo interesting, I wish I had a scanner to post the picture! It looks like a 3 colored layer cake, so you can get a visual!

THREE-BEAN TERRINE

(if using canned beans, drain and rinse them thoroughly-if using home-cooked beans, blend 1/4tsp salt with each of the three bean purees).

Nonstick cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
    1/4 cup PLUS 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
    7 large egg whites
    6 cloves garlic, peeled
    3/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 cup PLUS 3 tablespoons water
    1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney beans) or navy beans
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1 1/2 cups cooked red kidney beans or pinto beans
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce, or to taste

1. Pre heat the oven to 350F. Coat a 9x5x3 loaf pan with the cooking spray. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with wax paper and coat the paper with cooking spray.

2. In a food processor or blender, whirl the black beans, 3 Tbl of the yogurt, 2 of the egg whites, 2 of the garlic cloves, the coriander and 1/4 cup of the water for 1 minute, or until smooth. Spoon the puree into the bottom of the prepared pan and smooth the top.

3. Wash and dry the food processor or blender, then whirl in it the cannellini, the remaining 1/4 cup of yogurt, 3 of the egg whites, 2 of the garlic cloves, the lemon juice, and sage for 1 minute or until smooth. Gently spread this puree on top of the black bean puree.

4. In the food processor or blender, whirl the red kidney beans, remaining 2 egg whites, remaining 2 garlic cloves, tomato paste, remaining 3 Tbl. water, and red pepper sauce for 1 minute or until smooth. Gently spoon this puree on top of the cannellini puree, spreading and smoothing it to the edges of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a larger baking pan. Pour enough hot water into the larger pan to come 1 inch up the sides of the loaf pan.

5. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then run a spatula around the edges and invert the loaf onto a serving platter. Remove the wax paper and slice. Serve at room temperature.

Per serving: Calories 161, total fat 1, protein 13, carbs 27, fiber 6

Posted by Debelli on 06-17-2001 04:31 PM:

SWISS DIJON CHICKEN ROLLS

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    3/4 cup shredded Jarlsberg light Swiss cheese
    6 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
    4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3/4 cup ww bread crumbs
    4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons dried tarragon
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly coat and 8 x8 baking dish with no-stick spray. Place the chicken between pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, pound to about 1/4" thickness. Place an equal amount of the Swiss cheese in the center of each breast. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix the milk and mustard. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, tarragon and pepper to taste.

Roll up each chicken breast, beginning with the smaller end. Dip each roll into the milk mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat completely. Place in the prepared baking dish with the rolled end down. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more, or until golden.

Per serving 243 calories, 9 grams fat, 30.4 grams protein, 8.3 carbs

Posted by Nancemeister on 06-18-2001 11:57 AM:
    Eggplant Italiano

This taste like eggplant parmasean, but a little healthier!

6 round, 1/2-inch thick slices eggplant, peeled
    1/4 cup egg substitute (I use the real deal)
    1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs (You can use WW and add
    Italian Seasoning)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 cup tomato sauce (SF of course!)
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. basil
    5 ounces part skim-milk mozzarella cheesew, grated or sliced

Preheat over to 450 degrees. Using mallet, pound eggplant slices to 1/4-inch thickness. Dip eggplant slices in egg substitute, then in bread crumbs. Saute breaded eggplant in skillet sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray.

Place cooked eggplant in bottom of 10 x 10 baking dish. Top with tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Arrange cheese over top. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Finish browning cheese under broiler if necessary. Makes 6 servings.

Energy 140 calories
    Fat 5 grams
    Saturated Fat 3 grams
    Cholesterol 14 mg.
    Sodium 439mg
    Carbohydrate 16 grams
    Protein 9 grams

Exchages: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch

Posted by Debelli on 06-21-2001 06:47 PM:

WALNUT AND GARLIC LINQUINE

4-5 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
    3 TBS olive oil
    12 oz. ww linguine
    1/2 tsp. salt

Heat olive oil, garlic and walnuts in large skillet over medium heat. Sir frequently until walnuts are lightly toasted; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cook pasta; drain. Add hot pasta, parsley, salt, cheese and basil to walnut mixture; toss and serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Posted by Debelli on 06-21-2001 06:51 PM:

OVEN-FRIED SWEET POTATOES

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1 small garlic clove, minced

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat. Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minues or until tender, turning the potato slices after 15 minutes.

Combine parsley, orange rind, and garlic in a small bowl; stir well. Sprinkle parsley mixture over sweet potato slices. Make 7 servings (servings size: 1/2 cup)

Posted by Debelli on 06-21-2001 07:26 PM:

Agave Baked Chicken

4-5 servings

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Heat together just till blended:
    1 clove garlic
    2-4 T oil or melted butter
    ¼ C agave nectar
    ¼ C fresh lemon juice

Cut into serving pieces:
    1 3-lb. chicken

Place skin side down in a shallow baking pan, bake about 30 minutes. Turn, pour on sauce, bake about 20 minutes more (until tender), basting once or twice.

Note: You can bread the chicken with flour and paprika or fine crumbs if you like a more pronounced skin. You can also add soy sauce or sesame seeds to the sauce for a difference.

Posted by sef on 06-21-2001 11:19 PM:

MARINATED FISH, ONIONS AND MUSHROOMS

1 Pounf Fish Fillets 1 lemon
    2 Packets Sweetner 2 T. Soy Sauce
    1/2 t. Sale 1/2 t. Oregano
    Dash Pepper 1/3 c. Onion, Sliced
    1/4 Pound Mushrooms, sliced

Thaw Fish if frozen. Grate Lemon, then extract Juice. In shallow bowl combine 1 t. Lemon Peel, Lemon Juice, and all remaining ingredients except vegetable. Marinate Fish, Onion, Mushrooms in Lemon/Soy mixture in refrigerator at least 2 hours or better yet overnight. Turning ocassionally.

Broil Fish 4" from heat 5 - 8 minutes or until Fish flakes easily with a fork. Heat Marinade, Onions and Mushrooms until liguid has almost cooked off. Serve fish topped with this mixture.

Makes 4 servings.

I always make double the marinade as we really like mushrooms and onions.

Posted by Melf on 06-25-2001 11:07 PM:
    Fruit 'N Oat Scones

1-1/2 cups Spelt Flour
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar (I used the Sugar Twin Brown Sugar substiute)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I used 2 small fresh Apricots!)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar substitue, baking powder & salt. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in fruit. Add milk; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Using lightly floured roller or hands, roll out dough into circle about 9" [or sightly smaller than your pan], about 1/2 " thick. Using pizza cutter, cut dough into 12 wedges; separate slightly. combine 1 TBSp sgar & cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yields 12 scones

*Approximately 180 calories & 8 grams of fat per scone*

Original recipe using all purpose flour copied from The Pampered Chef, STONEWARE SENSATIONS

Posted by Debelli on 06-28-2001 08:08 AM:

Eggplant Balls

These hearty, delicious eggplant morsels can be used as a replacement for meatballs, or they can be fried into patties and eaten like burgers.

Makes 6 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups eggplant
    1 tablespoon water
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup dried ww bread crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease a baking sheet.
    2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Pour in olive oil and saute garlic just until lightly browned. Mix in eggplant and water. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Allow eggplant to steam until soft, about 20 minutes. Place eggplant in a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
    3. Mix cheese, parsley, eggs, and bread crumbs into eggplant. Stir with a wooden spoon or your hands until ingredients are thoroughly combined and mixture can be rolled into balls. Add more bread crumbs as needed to make mixture workable. Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes, then roll into balls or form into patties.
    4. Place eggplant balls on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Posted by SolShine on 06-28-2001 01:16 PM:
    Salsas

AVOCADO-SERRANO SALSA

2 Large avocados (about 1 lb.), peeled, pitted, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1 Roma tomato
    3 tbsp. minced red onion
    4 tsp. minced serrano chile, with seeds
    2 tsp. minced fresh cilantro
    1 1/2 tsp. salt

carefully fold all ingredients together in a mixing bowl

TRICOLOR SALSA

1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    4 tsp. minced serrano chile, with seeds
    1/3 cup La Carreta cilantro apple cider vinegar or other cider vingegar
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tbsp minced shallot
    2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 tsp. sugar (Splenda or other SF sweetener)
    1/4 tsp. salt

combine thoroughly.

Variation: add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil

SALSA MEXICANA

2 tbsp finely diced white onion
    8 Roma tomatoes, diced
    2 serrano chiles, finely diced with seeds
    2 tbsp finely chopped fesh cilantro leaves
    1 tsp sugar (Splenda or other SF sweetener) I actually don't add the sugar at all
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 clove garlic

Place the onion in a strainer, rinse with hot water, and drain. Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Ad a little sweetener if the tomatoes are acidic, but make sure the salsa does not taste of sweetener. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mingle.

Posted by sef on 06-28-2001 04:30 PM:

I like 3 or 4 Bean Salad, but all commercial ones I've seen have sugar. So I make a quickie kind of my own.

FOUR BEAN SALAD

1 can KIDNEY BEANS
    1 can CUT YELLOW WAX BEANS
    1 can CUT GREEN BEANS
    1 can CHICK PEAS
    1 Onion or more if you like onion.
    1/3 c. White Vinegar
    1 c. Water
    6 - 8 packets sweetener
    Couple of shakes of salt
    Couple of twists of fresh ground pepper
    Some granulated Garlic

Drain cans of all their juice and rinse well. Put into bowl.
    Slice onion and then quarter each slice. Or coarsely dice. Add to
    beans. Add seasonings and sweetener.

Mix enough vinegar and water to make enough liquid to cover
    beans. I use the proportions given, but usually double or triple it
    according to how much onion I use.

Mix well. Refrigerate several hours or overnight (best) for the
    flavors to blend. ENJOY!

I know recipes that call for pimentos or add oil or even cook
    vinegar mixture. But I like it this way!

I use this for a snack at times or in place of salad. If you're a person who believes vinegar helps with weight loss here's a way to get it!

Posted by Rosalie on 06-28-2001 10:51 PM:

Shepherd's Pie

1 1/2 lbs extra lean hamburger meat
    2 medium onions - chopped
    1/2 lb mushrooms - sliced
    Small can tomato juice (3-4 ozs)
    1 tspn sage
    Salt
    Pepper
    Oil

Topping

4 cups cauliflower (frozen or fresh)
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1 tbsp butter

Fry onions in the oil for about 5 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are done and the onions are brown. Add the meat and seasonings and cook until meat loses pink color. (If meat is sticking to bottom of pan add a little of the tomato juice to loosen bits stuck on bottom of pan.) Add remainder of the juice and cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes.

Cook the cauliflower in boiling water. Drain. Mash with 3/4 cup shredded cheese and butter. Add a little milk if appears too dry.

Place meat mixture in 8 x 8 pan. Top with cauliflower. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake @ 350F for about 30 minutes, or until top is browned.

Serves 4-6.