Calories and sugar from fruits

• Hi all, I just have a question about fruits and sugar (and also vegetables in any case). When I count calories, what happens to sugar in fruits, is there a way to know how much sugar I'm ingesting through those?.
    I have to be careful about this since have had some trouble with my sugar levels lately, was tested for it and it goes way up when I eat so my dr. indicated I have to be very careful and avoid sugar as much as possible. My dad was diabetic so I have double risk.

thanks

• I'm interested in the answer to this too. My experience has been that the higher carb fruits & starchy veggies have more sugars so I try to stick mainly with berries & non-starch veggies. I'm entering into maintenance so I will be adding back other fruit & veggies to round out my diet more.

Those are my observations from a losing weight perspective. As far as diabetics go, isn't there some guidelines on health websites to help with that. I would think the problem would be with simple sugars found in processed foods & drinks more than fruits & veggies though.
  • I don't have a lot of knowledge on this subject, but I would find a glycemic index chart. It'll tell you which foods will raise your blood sugar faster then others. You can probably find one online or your doctor may have one.