birth control question

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I actually lost a few pounds when I started on Yasmin, which, incidentally, is the only BC that hasn't made me totally crazy, so snaps for Yasmin. I have also been on Alesse (which apparently doesn't work so well if you're not super skinny, I've been told by nurse friends) and Ortho-Tricyclen and neither made me gain weight, but they sure made me moody.
  • Back in college I was on Triphasil...do they even make that anymore? Jeez.
    Then, Ortho TriCyclen, which was decent...

But then I tried Depo. Agggghhhhhh! I went from 128 to 160 overnight. The progesterone made me eat, eat, eat! Well, it didn't make me eat, but it made me feel hungry-- even immediately after I would finish a meal! Disgusting!

So, Depo was bad for me. YMMV.

Switched to Ortho Cyclen after that. Muuuuch better!
  • Quote: Funny nuvaring story ...my friend has a 7 year old daughter. One day when she picked her up from school she noticed she had bracelets on. Her daughter had been fishing her used nuvarings out of the trash and wearing them to school as bracelets.
    hahahaha i wonder if any of the teachers at school recognized them?
  • i've been on birth control for a long time, since i was 14 in fact (horribly painful periods) and i can agree that Alesse was crap. I've been on ortho-tricyclene, seasonale, and some generics (poor kid here).

so far the shot has made me feel a little more hungry but as my doctor said, the key is to figure out if you are really hungry or if it's just the shot talking. so far i haven't overeaten at all. but if it gets worse i'll opt out of the next shot.

shouldn't side effects like these subside after a while though? i know when i have had trouble with weird side-effects in the past if i just trudge through they tend to go away.