Hello, I'm.........

You're on Page 9 of 48
Go to
  • Quote: Heya!

I thought I might join this so I can stop boring all my thin friends about calories. I'm in week 3 of my diet which isn't very impressive I know but I have only ever made it to the end of week 2 before! I always give up and decide I'm not really that fat, which I'm not but even so I have been steadily putting on weight over the last four years and since it all goes on my waist I have draws and draws full of nice jeans that won't fit anymore!

Seeing all the people on forums like this and in magazines and on TV who loose large amounts of weight it makes me feel a bit pathetic that I've found it so hard to try and lose the 11lb I need to get back into the healthy BMI range (right at the top!) or the stone and a half to get back into my old jeans.

Dill
    I'm in practically the same situation as you need to lose a stone by mid July and that will put me in the right weight range too. I'm currently in week 2 of my diet but I'm determined that by the time its sunny enough i am going to feel confident enough to wear shorter skirts. Unfortunately the weight comes off my waist and not my legs but oh well I'll get there if my friends stop tempting me with chocolate. I've given my chocolate icecream and chocolate spread to my housemate so thats a good start.
  • Hi there, greets to everyone

My name is Laura. I was born in Mexico, but I'm currently living in London(for vacations, really.Supposedly learning English, which is the reason why I can't write the language properly; be patient with me please). I'm 20 years old, 6' ft. tall, a redhead, fair skinned, with lots of freckes, but .. . I'm 180 pounds too. I have an overactive thyroid gland that makes me eat like crazy and gain a lot of weight (or so it has been for the past year). I don't want to get any fatter. However, I also find myself uncapable to stop eating. I'm desperate because even with a diet I don't lose much more than a mere pair of pounds (I cheat a lot), but well .. . about my hobbies .. I'm a mathematician, currently starting a master's degree in artificial intelligence, I love puzzles and phonetalking, because I feel that in real life no guy will approach me, part because I'm fat, and part because my attitude towards my weight gain has, clearly, not been the best.

I constantly think that my inner confidence could be gained back if I lost a few pounds, but the fact that my weight gain is more due to a lack of will-power than it is due to my disease, overwhelms me and makes me feel miserable. I also have stopped going out with friends and having fun, because I am afraid that they will make me eat. Of course, this is nonsense considering the amount of food I will consume just arriving home, sometimes emptying the kitchen, out of pure frustration. Maybe I'm still young to be preoccupied by marriage, but if no guy has approached me so far, I doubt that it will happen sometime in the future. I want a happy life and maybe Im overly concerned with my weight, probably more than it is needed, but gaining so much weight, and so frighteningly fast (I weighed 110 pounds last summer) has been a hard blow to my self esteem.

Other details: I love writing, reading, dogs and cats .

see you all soon
  • Hi Laura. Welcome to the forum. You weighed 110 pounds at 6 foot? In the book I was given at my slimming world class I go to it says the lowest you should be at 6ft is 147 pounds.
  • HI Laura, I agree with Veggie, if you look up what you're supposed to weigh, you're probably not as over weight as you think. You must have looked like a twig at 110 pounds last year luv.
    Anyway, we're all here to help each other, so come join us in our daily grind against fatness, on the hello from thread. That's where we do most of our nattering. PS. I think your English is pretty good Welcome.
  • Heya Laura!

I also like to eat all day and as a first step it's pretty good to make sure there's enough stuff in your kitchen without many calories in to binge on! I like crisp breads, oranges, strawberrys, snack a jacks, low calorie bread, low calorie cheese triangles, crab sticks, low calorie yogurts (you can get them with under 50 in if you look). I just control calories so it isn't a particular diet plan. I ate 6 crisp breads on Monday but at least it wasn't 6 bars of chocolate or a packet of biscuits!

I've also got a history of trying to diet, failing or only losing 2 or 3 lb and then giving up. I'm really proud to have stuck to one for almost 6 weeks now and I've lost 9lb

Apparently at 180lb you are still within the correct Body Mass Index range, not that you shouldn't diet if you are unhappy! But I can't imagine that men would see you as fat, I had a lot less luck with guys when I was about 126lb than I have since being over 150.

You must be pretty smart too to be studying for a masters at 20! I'm also a student (I'm 20 in July) and I think it's pretty rare for students to be thinking about marriage as young as we are. So I think it would be fairly rare for any 20 year old student to be proposed to!

Anyway I hope that was somewhat helpful

Dill
  • Taking the plunge
    Hi my name is Carole

I'm very shy, and I've been trying to pluck up courage to introduce myself for weeks!
    I live in North Wales. am 43, married to Paul, and have two boys David 11, and Mathew 7. My husband is a haulage contractor, and I work for him at home, doing all the admin.I have been overweight since giving up work to have David 11 years ago. I don't do any exercise at all despite knowing how important it is. Have promised myself I will make an effort when I weigh 11 and a half stone. My inactive lifestyle means I can't get away with any extra calories at all.
    I have been on a diet again since the end of Jan. I spent two weeks on slimfast, went onto Atkins and became ill, stopped that and ate like a maniac trying to feel better, and put on more weight than when I started. I started on slimfast again at 194lbs, ane now weigh 179lbs. My main reason for speaking up now is that I am losing motivation. I am trying new things to eat for a change such as cereal for breakfast, instead of shake, and sandwich instead of pasta replacement meal. The trouble is I can't seem to contol my eating on normal food, and soon go overboard some times by accident by not working out the calories until I,ve eaten them and sometimes on purpose.
    I've just read all this back and I sound like a woman obsessed. I am go spend a lot of time reading all the threads to keep me out of the kitchen.

Carole
  • Don't be shy Carole We love new people
  • Welcome Carole, well done on your loss so far, come and talk to us daily and we'll help you in whatever we can. We all fall off the wagon here and there, I fell off at Easter, have managed to get back on for a few miles again and them I'm like a pig at a trough. Come chat with us on the hello in May thread, we're mostly there nattering away......
  • Hi there!

I'm Julie. I hang out in the Atkins forum most of the time (that's my plan of choice, I personally find that I feel great on it). I'm 25 and I'm currently finishing my master's degree in engineering. I'm not actually from the UK and I'm not actually living in the UK at the moment. That being said, you're probably wondering why I'm posting in the UK forum then? Well, in about 5 months I'm probably coming to the UK (ok, a long time away, I know!). I want to work overseas for awhile, and the UK is one of the countries where I can easily get a 2 year work visa (through a youth employment program). Plus I've always wanted to return to see more of your country. I've only spent a few days in London, which of course, wasn't nearly enough. So, I'm about 70% certain at the moment that the UK is where I'm heading ... although a lot can change in 5 months, and who knows where I might find a job. Anyway, I thought that visiting this forum would be fun, especially if I do decide to go to the UK, because I certainly intend on keeping up with the 3FC website even if I move.

I was raised on a farm in southwestern Ontario, Canada, but right now I'm studying in Montreal. During my third year of my undergraduate degree, I lived, studied and worked in the Netherlands (which I loved). For the past couple of years I've really had an 'itch' to live in another country again. I enjoyed the feeling of complete independence that I felt when I was living in the Netherlands - having to give it a go on my own, with all my family and friends an ocean away! Sometimes it was a challenge, but it was a great confidence builder.

I have loads of weight to lose but I'm using my 5 months before I go overseas as an extra incentive ... that should be good motivation! (I hope!)

Er...I also like to lurk in this forum because I love reading some of the different terms and expressions that many of you use!

Oh, and I shamefully admit, that when I read your posts to myself, I incorporate a fake British accent. I can't help it!

• Quote:
    Oh, and I shamefully admit, that when I read your posts to myself, I incorporate a fake British accent. I can't help it!
    That's so funny
  • Ha ha if you're anything like my American housemate I bet a fake British accent sounds kinda like the queen he he. Or possibly like a cockney. My mate had to do a "common" accent in a play and I tried to teach him Yorkshire but it didn't really work.
    Us Brits have MANY different accents.
  • Quote: Ha ha if you're anything like my American housemate I bet a fake British accent sounds kinda like the queen he he. Or possibly like a cockney. My mate had to do a "common" accent in a play and I tried to teach him Yorkshire but it didn't really work.
    Us Brits have MANY different accents.

I'm sure my fake 'British-like' accent is pretty outrageous (or painful)! And I just had an aerobics class with an Australian instructor, so I'm sure that will muck up my attempts at mimicking any foreign accent. It'll probably come out as some jumbled mess of several accents!

I'm always amazed that you (Brits) do have such a range of different accents. In Canada, I can probably only notice a difference with some of the people on the east coast (who have accents somewhat remniscent of their Irish/UK roots). Other than that, the differences aren't *overly* distinctive, at least that I've noticed with my friends from western Canada.

Although the States do seem to have some distinctive regional accents. Definitely moreso than anything I've noticed in Canada. Not sure what that means or why it happens that way, though.
  • Hi my name is Lisa.
    I live in Buckinghamshire, i'm 27 and single. I am a nurse but I have been off work for the last year as I have damaged my back.

I weigh 19 stone it's the most I have ever weighed. I have been a yo-yo dieter from a young age and every time I come off a diet I put on more than I have lost.

The main problem is I think i'm a compulsive eater and a compulsive dieter, when I go on a diet i'm really good I cut out everything bad and stick to it rigidly but months later I go off the rails and binge eat like mad until all the weight goes back on. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. About five years I went on a diet and got down to 7 stone I felt and looked awful so I was told to stop dieting in time I did manage to stop the diet and over time all the weight went back on, so I was back where I started, it happens every time.

I had managed to stay at 15 stone for months before I hurt my back which for me is good as I wasn't yo-yoing but after that happened I have put on loads of weight. I can't exercise because of my injury and the fact I am in constant pain and I mainly overeat when i'm miserable and stressed, which is most of the time at the moment as I spend most of the day on my own and feel lonely also I am stressed by my back injury and the fact that it's almost a year since the accident and I still can't work. I really miss my job and my friends there.

I really want to loose weight sensibly and keep it off this time I thought that maybe talking to other people about it may help as I normally loose weight on my own.

Anyway that's me, I just read what I put and I must sound really sad and quite mad. Honest i'm not. Well, ok maybe just a little mad.
  • Hey Lisa!

I don't think you sound sad, or even mad for that matter It is rubbish about your back though I find it really hard not to eat constantly when I'm inside all day especially when I'm stressed (like yesterday oops went a bit crazy with my cookie dough and a twix!) Anyway welcome! The people here are really cool and I hope it helps.

Dill
  • Hi Lisa,
    Come on over to the hello thread for June and natter away with us all. We're all very good at giving advice, and a few bonks on the heads with rolling pins when needed. We're all in the same boat with this weight thing. I'm yo-yo-ing myself at the moment and need to get it together.
    How long do you think it'll be until your back gets sorted? Let us help you with your rough days with moral support, so come join in and get to know us, I think I can safely say, we're all a bit on the mad side, so you'll be in a good crowd