Just started Cymbalta.... input pretty please ladies?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • I've been on Phenergan for almost a year, but I ran out of refills. I called and doc and he called it in to the pharmacy.

I had my ovaries removed last March. One was attached to a kidney and the other to my colon. My kidney was fixed last May and I had a foot of my colon removed in October (still getting over that one). Still having to take Percocet from time to time, so I always have the Phenergan on hand.

2007 wasn't such a great year for me healthwise.
  • awww poor girl! Yeah 2007 was not a good year for me either, health wise or in any way.
  • My doctor has me on 60 mg also, but I take 30mg in the morning and 30mg in the evening. He said that he has had better succcess with his patients if they didn't take all 60 mg at the same time. I was a little nauseous when I first started taking it, but it only lasted for about a week. I was on Paxil before Cymbalta and had insomnia for so long it seemed like forever since I had a full nights sleep. Because even when I could fall asleep I would wake up at least 4 or 5 times during the night. But lately I have been sleeping through the night almost every night! I still have a hard time falling asleep most nights, but at least when I do fall asleep I stay asleep! The only other side effect I have had is a very dry mouth. That does seem to be finally getting better though. Hopefully your body will adjust soon and the nausea will get better.

CR, you may wanna talk to your Dr. about trying something different. It sounds like your reaction to Cymbalta is going to nake your anxiety worse not better! It sounds like you had a nasty panic attack that night! Like I said in an earlier post it took trying 3 or 4 meds to find the right one for me. Unfortunately, it might take you a while, but once you find the right one it is all worth it!
  • Krazed, while its true cymbalta may not be for cr (or me for that matter), remember that it takes between 2-6 weeks for the meds to strut their stuff, and us be able to tell if they are working or not. Cr started the same day I did....Friday.

Hey cr, well sleep was better last night for me, so yesterday was a score cymbalta wise. Much much different than the first day and first night. I woke up a couple times but I'm also dealing with TOM and cramping and whatnot ugh. For me personally, I'm sticking to this for 4 weeks, to see if it makes a difference. IMO, its wayyyy too early to call the shots as to if this is gonna help my anxiety or not. My doc told me 2-6 weeks, so I figure 4 weeks is a nice even number. Who knows, maybe cymbalta is what I need, but if I give up before it's had a chance to get in my system, I won't know. Anyway, starting day 3
  • Today has not been a good day, but I am still going to stick with. No skipping! I'e got to give this a fair chance.
  • so sorry to hear that, I have been reading up on this stuff and I found out from the fda that the side effects do go away in the first few weeks. For those that don't subside after two months, that is when they recommend a possible change. My day was okay, much better than yesterday; still I am prepared that each day may be different, you know. I got to admit, I am lovin this appetite suppression lol. Makes it super easy to stay on plan.
  • Holli, have you had an upset stomach? This is the second day that my tummy is making major noises and acting up. I didn't sleep much better last night and am still experiencing nausea.

I'm also having the appetite suppression side effect and dry mouth.

Hope you have a good day!
  • Hey girl so sorry for the late reply, my boss is a stickler about no surfing at work ugh. No not any upset stomach, only on the first day for me. I slept good the second night, but last night I had issues sleeping. My kitties causing ruckus didn't help either LOL. Today I actually feel hot, you know, like a constant hot flash, and I am starting to feel a few hunger pangs, not a lot though, in the afternoon. But you see, stopping for a day then restarting, means you go through all these initial side effects and never get a chance to wear down right. But yeah I'm noticing a difference with each day, getting more and more tolerable. As for you, being that you suffered from insomnia before starting this, I wouldn't attribute not sleeping totally to the cymbalta although you might want to talk to your doc about something that is compatible with it maybe to help you out.
  • Well, the nausea is getting a little better, but my tummy is still upset. And of course I can't sleep! I've been on Halcion, Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerum, and even taken Benadryl and OTC motion sickness pills but nothing works. I guess it's true what they say, "You'll get plenty of sleep when you're dead." LOL! =0)
  • well as far as the sleep, remember you said elsewhere you had issues sleeping (before the cymbalta), so I wouldn't attribute all of that to the cymbalta. I'm sleeping pretty well on my side, that is, when the house is quiet hahaha. And that's great about your nausea - mine's totally gone, so I think you're not that far behind me.

So what all have you tried on your sleep - ever, like, have you tried having a warm cup of tea with a hot bath and read (I mix peppermint and chamomille yum), or just anything to quiet your mind and ease into a sleep-friendly mode? I had sleeping issues once - and it didn't matter if the house was quiet or not! I finally figured out that my mind is too busy; once I laid down, my mind would start reeling over what all had to be done the next day right. And no matter what meds I took, they never worked cause I was a nightly busy bee. So it took time, yes, a year or two actually, but I finally learned how to successfully shut my mind down to go to sleep, and on a good night, I'm out in about 15 minutes. I think it's different for each of us, so it might help thinking about all the things that keep you awake at night, and start from there
  • I've had insomnia for years, mainly attributed to my fibromyalgia and other pain I suffer from daily. But when I start a new med it intensifies it for a while.
    I try to take a warm bath to help ease some of the pain, but it comes back fairly quick. I'll be seeing some new doctors soon, thank goodness.

Thanks for your help!
  • So sorry to hear that girlie, i can't say I know what you mean cause I have never dealt with that, but I bet it's sure not fun. But I can say, from all I dealt with last year, that I'd much rather suffer from physical pain than emotional any day of the week. I guess because the emotional stuff scars you forever right, and stays with you cause of the memories. I remember when I had surgery out of a suspected etopic a few weeks before I lost Gracie... the pain in recovery was so immense, but I kid you not, the emotional pain I was in really did make me numb to the pain a lot of the time, it was so intense.

you'll be in my prayers girl, you are not alone in this. :hugs:
  • Gosh -- it is sounding way too hard for you. I wonder if you don't need some kind of 'cocktail' to make the whole anti-anxiety thing work. I take 30-mg cymbalta a day, plus 60mg of paxil, and then 200 mg of trazadone at night to let me fall asleep -- its much better than taking any kind of sleeping pill..
    Anyway, before you think I am just a pill-popper, I spent quite a long time getting to this brew (over about 6 years) with my fancy pill doctor. Now I am entirely without panic attacks, depression, and the lot.
    The downside is the weight issue. The first year I was on the meds I lost 30 pounds, combined with doing ATkins -- gained it all back over the next 5 years, and have just started Atkins again.
    SO, goodluck to you. I think cymbalta is a miracle drug..but when I tried taking 60mgs I got very very very anxious and it was bad. You have to find your level.
    WOW -- thats the first time I have ever written down all the meds I take. I a pretty shocked! Maybe I should switch my doc!
  • Thank goodness I don't suffer from anxiety! I'm taking the Cymbalta for depression and it's been found to be helpful with Fibro as well. I used to take Trazodone for my Muscular Dystrophy. My neurologist said people regenerate muscle tissue in stage 4 sleep, but I still didn't sleep. My dad takes trazodone as well and it's "light out" for him.

And don't worry Ruby, I could open a pharmacy will all my meds. LOL!
  • I'm a walking pharmacy as well. Long story, but...

I took Cymbalta to combat neuropathy in my feet, not for depression or anything. After about 3 months, I wasn't sleeping and was noticing that I was really irritated and paranoid (usually I'm very laid back). I looked up the side effects and they look pretty grim, as most AD drugs say. It scared me and so I stopped taking them.

All I know is whatever you do, don't go cold turkey. I didn't sleep for 2 days and felt like I wanted to kill myself. I had told my doctor, but he didn't say anything, but after that episode, they switched me to lexipro and Lyrica for the neuropathy pain.

Now I'm trying to taper the lexipro, but man. I'm grouchy. And I still don't sleep!!!