Your Hummus Recipe?

• Hey everyone hope you are all having a good day!

I like to eat hummus as I think it's a healthy snack with carrots and cucumbers and other veggies. But my recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup of tahini for 1 can of chickpeas. Both of which are high in calories/fat.

Do you have a low or lower-cal yummy hummus recipe you can share?

Thanks,
    Ginger
  • Wow -- 1/4 cup oil??? Are you sure that's just for one can of beans? I play around with this recipe from drweil.com, which only calls for one tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 cup tahini to 3 cans of garbanzos:

HUMMUS

5 cups cooked chickpeas or garbanzos (from three 15-oz cans, drained or 2 cups dried chickpeas, cooked)
    ¼ cup sesame tahini
    2 tablespoons cold water
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions
    1. Drain and rinse chickpeas, if using canned.

2. Combine chickpeas with remaining ingredients -except olive oil - in a food processor or blender container. Blend to a rough purée texture adding a little more water if necessary. The mixture should not be totally smooth.

3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Stir in the olive oil.

-- I never follow the recipe exactly, varying the garlic & spices as the mood strikes me. Hope this is as yummy as what you've been making!
  • I've made hummus a few times and I omitted the olive oil.
  • WOW! thanks ladies...clearly there is a better way to make the stuff so it doesn't have so much oil in it.

Where did I hear before: every little bit counts!

Thanks, Ginger
  • I love the Hummus from the Moosewood Cookbook

1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled until very soft or 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas
    3 medium cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    dash of tamari (or omit salt altogether and just add a little more tamari)
    juice of 2 medium lemons
    *3/4 cup tahini
    1/4 packed cup finely minced fresh parsley
    lots of freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
    dash of red pepper (to taste)

In place of the tahini I use 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil and enough water to make it smooth. Yum. The parsley and red pepper bring out all the flavors so that you don't miss the tahini.