Sweet Potato Butter - so good!

• I've tried apple butter, pumkpkin butter and cherry butter and loved them all. Today, at a little farmer's market, I got a chance to try sweet potato butter - OHMYGOD, it is so good. Made with nothing but sweet potato, spices and a little cane sugar - 20 calories per tbs. It is decadently wonderful!
  • Oooh. That sounds yummy. I love sweet potatoes!

Also, I'm jealous that some of you have farmer's markets through the winter, especially you Glory. Out here in the eastern, agricultural part of the state, the market closed at the end of October. It hardly seems fair!
  • They are only open on the weekends until March!!
  • I take it that this is a sort of "boutique" product and not available anywhere else - like southern CA?
  • Yum! What are you eating it with?
  • I love sweet potatoes. How do they make it?

Cherry butter? I'd be interested in that one, too!
  • That sounds SOOO good! I need to find a farmer's market around here....
  • Gailr42 - I actually bought it outside San Diego! I got it in Alpine, the name of the produce stand is Alpine Frosty Acres - it's right off the highway near La Viejas outlet mall I can't find any website, but there is a phone number if you want to try to order some - 800-578-7324. The 18 oz jar is usually 6 bucks, but we took advantage of a buy one get one free deal!

Jtammy - so far I have eaten it on toast! but I imagine it will be great stirred into oatmeal or plain yogurt or on Kashi waffles! I would probably eat it the way I do pumpkin butter - so on practically everything (especially stirred into roasted butternut squash)

cbmare - I guess they make it like apple butter! Just cook it down on the stove. I tried the cherry butter at this place, but my all time favorite cherry butter is this stuff - it is so tart and delicious, I eat it almost every day on Kashi waffles. The only ingredient is cherries - it is SO good (pricey but worth it).

There definitely isn't any "butter" in apple butter, pumpkin butter or sweet potato butter!
  • Thanks for supplying the phone number Glory.

I had a quick look around the internet and found a few promising recipes as well:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-P...er/Detail.aspx
    http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/ar...to_Butter.html

It might be worth playing around with these recipes. I like the idea of an english muffin with sweet potato butter instead of peanut butter as a snack in the afternoons. Peanut butter tends towards the calorific, but I love the sweet/salty combo.
  • Quote: Thanks for supplying the phone number Glory.

I had a quick look around the internet and found a few promising recipes as well:

It might be worth playing around with these recipes. I like the idea of an english muffin with sweet potato butter instead of peanut butter as a snack in the afternoons. Peanut butter tends towards the calorific, but I love the sweet/salty combo.
    I might try one of those recipes! I'll do it in my crock pot, though; the thought of keeping an eye on the stove for 2 hours doesn't appeal to me.