Salad dressings

• Hello everybody,
    I just finished my lunch. A salad (1 c baby greens, 10 black olives, small tomato, half red pepper and 1/2 c chickpeas) with a fat-free raspberry vinegrette dressing.

And here's my question: which are the YUMMY tasting dressings? Because, and God is my witness, this one I had here tasted like some chemicals!

Do you usually use up your fat on dressings or like me would rather have olives and a f-f dressing?
  • I use my Fat for light dressing... but i also use FF dressing itailian is the best.
  • I've yet to find a commercial fat free dressing that I like. Check the label, there's a reason it tastes like chemicals

I don't now if this is LAWL friendly, but lately I've just been using balsamic vinegar on a salad with a grind of black pepper or other seasoning, and not adding oil. I use a really good balsamic that is aged and sweet, so it has a lot of the right flavors without much tartness. It stands well on its own. Then I add roasted red bell peppers and anything else to the mix.
  • I believe that balsamic vinegar is just fine on LAWL.

I also like to take a FF sour cream and mix it with salsa and that makes a good ff dressing that can be counted as a condiment and it doesn't taste
    like chemicals to me.
  • I guess you're right about the label almost "telling" me what it would taste like, oy... Such a good salad, such a bad dressing...
  • BarbaraB FF sour cream and salsa sound good together I may have to make some up and try it and it is only counted as a condiment. I will have to try it with my taco salad tomorrow.

My favorite dressing though is the Wishbone Salad Spritzer Italian.
  • Try making Good Seasons without oil, add water instead. Use a good vinegar and add a small dab of Dijon mustard.
    In France they make dressing with Dijon style mustard, salt, fresh pepper, light color vinegar (I like champagne vinegar) whisked with a small amount of good olive oil. I sometimes substitute water for the oil. The texture is not as good but is serves well.
    Remember that you should try to have a small amount of fat with veggies to improve absorption of fat soluble vitamins.
  • Paul Newmans lite honey mustard is a good one ,I use it all the time around here !
  • Well, I may be strange but I think the ff ranch is okay. I also use ff french by kraft and paul newmans lite balsamic. That one is good but quite salty...those are some of my favorites.
  • I was using Lite Ranch..which was pretty good, but I stopped using it because it was over 7g of fat. I read your dressing needs to be 5g or less..or what I not understanding? Anyway..now I used Free Catalina..which is super yummy..and I sometimes count that as my fat...sometimes as a condiment..depends on if I have toast that morning..cause then I use margarine for my fat.
  • I acutally use the fat free ranch with some salsa. I like the taste better than the ff sour cream/salsa mixture. It is also good mixed with some tuna or canned salmon for a tuna or salmon salad with some celery cut in.
  • I have fallen in love with Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinaigrette. It has 70 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 60 mg of sodium per two tbsp serving, but has so much flavor that I can use half that amount for a salad. It is not fat-free, but does have the low sodium, so I consider it a freebie plus a fat serving.

The bottle says it has no artificial flavors. I have never tasted an aftertaste with this product.
  • I am hooked on Balsalmic vinegarette. I use the Kraft Calorie wise brand. If anyone has suggestions for a lower calorie brand let me know please.
  • I see all this talk of mixing sour cream and salsa...I see sour cream in my express book..but not salsa...is that later in the program?? Cause I actually really like those together...but I didn't know if I could yet.