What gourmet or specialty food products do you buy that make your diet easier?

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: Hi, I'm new here...I love this thread...my favorite topic! Food!

I can't suggest many products to purchase ready made, but I do have some ideas for things to make yourself, if anyone wants the recipes. There is one staple I buy and use in a lot of recipies because it adds the hot spicy flavor I love in so many dishes, and it's the best I've found. It's called "Chili Garlic Sauce" TUONG OT TOI VIET-NAM, by Huy Fong Foods, Inc. I buy it at Cash and Carry, a restaurant supply house that sells wholesale and retail. It is so hot and spicy, I just love it. I add it to my special diet "miracle soup" (a recipe I got off TV) to zip it up, and to most of my sauces. I find that the spicier the food, or the more flavorful, the more satisfying it is.
    Hi and

I can't believe someone else knows about this! This stuff is incredible. It doesn't take much, but I put it in EVERYTHING. I came across it at Safeway when I was hunting down ingredients to make healthy pad thai and now I'm hooked.
  • Quote: where do you buy your cheese online? just curious. i love cheese but haven't really been introduced to anything "real"...lol.
    Murrayscheese.com and artisanalcheese.com

Murrays is one of the best fromageries in NYC.
  • Quote: Hi and
    Thank you!

Quote:
    I can't believe someone else knows about this! This stuff is incredible. It doesn't take much, but I put it in EVERYTHING.
    I'm addicted. I buy it buy the gallon!
  • Quote:
    It's called "Chili Garlic Sauce" TUONG OT TOI VIET-NAM, by Huy Fong Foods, Inc.
    Best stuff ever. I made stir fry with it last night. I add it to a paste of ground peanuts and soy sauce. I mix it in soups. I use it in tons of stuff. I buy it at our Asian/Farmer's market.

• Grey Sea Salt ... perks up any dish!
  • Quote: Grey Sea Salt ... perks up any dish!
    What does it taste like? Not just like regular table salt?
  • Bragg's Liquid Aminos in place of soy sauce. Less sodium and has good amino acids. Love it!
  • Recidivist, could you post your recipes for your "miracle diet soup" (I'm a big soup fan) and the Williams-Sonoma basic stir-fry sauce? And Jen, I'd loooove your recipe for Pad Thai, plus any tips for preparing it. In my little town there's only one place that even claims to make Pad Thai and their version is sad. Very sad.
  • In the bulk bins at my local Whole Foods is a dry bean mix, North Bay Trading Co. 32 bean and Vegetable soup, it is so good, I make myself a single serving size soup out of it with some garlic, low-sodium chicken stock and some diced tomatoes, very good and very filling, I love beans, even though my boyfriend isn't always thrilled with their effect on me.
  • I make sure that when I add oil or butter to foods, the addition is really flavorful. I skimp on fats while cooking, and instead add it as a condiment or in a dressing. I use tiny water bottles, prick some small holes in the lids, and put my special oils in them so I can 'shake' drops of oil. Favorites are pistachio oil and hazelnut oil from France, fresh Italian olive oil, Chinese toasted dark sesame oil. A fresh European butter is amazing, and a teaspoon on steamed vegetables gives a flavor and satisfaction wallop. If you have a TJ's or Whole Foods in your area, they have a nice selection.
  • Soy Vay Teriyaki Marinade Sauce - I use this all the time and very little goes a long way as it is very intense in flavor. Alot of sesame seeds and minced garlic! Making my mouth water as I type- try 1 tablespoon per chicken breast in a marinade and cook the chicken as you would for stir-fry. I also cook the chicken and throw it in a salad!

• Costco's own Kirkland brand eggbeaters. Lots of lowfat protein, 120 calories a cup. They're packaged in small containers, I think eight to a case. Much cheaper than eggbeaters or even grocery store brand egg substitute, with great taste and texture. They're usually dated 6-8 weeks till expiration.
  • Went to Trader Joe's this weekend and bought some awesome additions to my pantry:

Organic Tomato Roasted Red Pepper Soup ($2.99 a carton, 2gm fat for 1 cup and has a bit of fiber and 8gm of protein-the taste is phenomenal. A keeper)

Grey Sea Salt- bought this and split the jar with my mom

Dried Fruit- Mashed banana. It looks as icky as it sounds but it is basically very ripe bananas partially dehydrated. The taste is like caramel w/ apples because of the sugar in the bananas! OMG it is sooo good. One package has 6 servings and was $1.49!!