Might not be anything but....

• what do you use to thicken sauces. I have a few recipes for things like Swiss Steak and Green Pepper Steak that requires about 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch otherwise they'd be totally core recipes. Trying to make them Core. Both recipes make 4-5 servings.
  • Kel, I think some people use arrowroot which I think is Core. I've not experimented. If I had a recipe that used that small amount, I'd pay the points and use the cornstarch. I've seen a lot of recipes that say that spread over the recipe it doesn't even add a point.

I threw away my Complete Food Companion in anticipation of the new release. Stupid since now I don't have one and WW hasn't issued the new one yet. So I can't check for you.

WW says if there is only one non-Core ingredient in a recipe, you can just count the points for that one ingredient.

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks Vickie. That is what I've been doing but I am not a Core expert (getting there).

I will check my online stuff but I've never been able to find arrowroot in my local stores. LOL!
  • If you're brave, (I don't know if I am or not.) you might try Cream of Wheat.
  • a thick puree of a root vegetable might do it also....
  • Now that sounds interesting. I'll bet it would work.
  • Here's a link to a page that looked interesting, you could probably also ask in a low-carb thread, I remember when doing Atkins cornstarch was not allowed. http://www.baking911.com/pantry/thickeners.htm maybe there's something that would be easier to find in the grocery store.
  • Kelipa, congratulations on making your 10%. I just saw that in your signature.
  • Kelipa, congratulations on making your 10%. I just saw that in your signature.