Informal, off topic poll - please respond

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I had a meeting today to discuss marketing ideas for our "Forest and Watershed Health Office"... The director there wants me to look at new ideas for promoting waterhshed health.. I wanted to show her that not a lot of people out there know what a "watershed" really is... So I need your help...

The question is simple. Please give me your best answer. If you know the real answer, please give it. If you don't, but have an idea, use that.. If you really have no idea, please say "I don't know"

**Please do not google the answer**

"What is a watershed?"

This will give me an idea as to what the "average" person thinks a watershed is, or if they have any idea at all.

Thanks in advance...
  • Isn't it the area around a body of water (lake, river, creek) that drains into that body of water (and perhaps causes issues like pollution or soil erosion)?
  • Don't know...Sorry!
  • I have always had the same impression as Barbara, that it is "the area around a body of water (lake, river, creek) that drains into that body of water ", but I will further expand on that saying that it is surrounded by an area of higher elevation, ie. a hill that defines the area of the watershed. In other words it is essentially a catch basin.
  • I don't know?
  • no idea.
  • no clue
  • I have no idea. Are you going to tell us when you get all the responses compiled?
  • I'd think it's the same as water-well... Will you tell us later?
  • No clue. I am thinking you are going to have to print this thread and show her
  • Hmm...a watershed is something at the edge of a water that is designed to catch bad contaminated stuff? Sorry, I used to know this, but it has been a few years now. Like others said, it's not exactly something we think about everyday.
  • In the UK, the watershed is the time after which you are allowed to show sex and nudity on regular television. It can be quite graphic

I don't have a clue what it means here.
  • A shed where you keep water?
  • Watershed to me means the first 10 pounds of water weight I lost! ...
    Sorry that is the best I could come up with!!! Ha ha ha, I know that can't be right because you specified off topic though....
  • i think that a watershed is a time in your life that you decide to take a different direction. i would guess that it is like a river parting to let u see whats beneath. or am i wrong