Anyone use Pilates or Yoga to help with mood and weight loss??

• I started doing Yoga and some Pilates last week (got some stuff for Christmas and am trying it out). I do not suffer from depression (I do have bi-polar disorder) and I also have GAD and a panic disorder. I've found since starting these I've already lost 1/2 inch off of my stomach and I sleep a TON better. Of course this is followed by sensible eating also. I like to do the Pilates in the morning to help wake me up and the Yoga at night to help me sleep. I've found that when I do the Yoga (even 10 minutes) I can lay down and fall asleep super fast and don't wake up much at night. It seems to also have helped my mood a bit. My hubby says I'm not quite as "testy" and I feel more confident overall. No med changes so I know it has nothing to do with that.

Just thought it was something worth mentioning. I got a couple DVD's at the library to try (for free haha) and really like them.
  • wow that's great to know. What tapes did you try? I have a few yoga ones here, but I've never really gotten into them and I've never done pilates.
    Take care,
    K
  • i do a little bit of yoga and Pilate's (sp?)
    Every morning Denise Austins work out show comes on and i do that every day and i always feel a so good afterwards. I have also lost 3 lbs this week.
  • Yoga was too difficult for me when I started my diet so I went with Tai Chi. LOVE it & still do it (I have the AM/PM Tai Chi for beginners DVD). Just starting with yoga & I like it but I find the Tai Chi more relaxing. Both help with flexibility but I wonder if yoga is better for weight loss.
  • Good for you! (All of you/us ).

I am starting a regular Pilates and yoga schedule next week. I'll be doing 3 classes of each weekly. I look forward to the positive benefits I saw when I was regularly doing them, many of the same you are seeing!
  • A great pilates video I found is Pilates for Dummies. I borrowed it from the library. It shows you how to do the moves and also seriously gets your heart rate up. I LOVE it.
  • I have that Pilates for Dummies and love it. Although, I've only got through it completely one time. It's easy to do and if you get stuck they show you alternate ways of doing things. They also do this if you need a challenge.