Single Thirty somethings!!!!

You're on Page 2 of 20
Go to
  • Oh Nicole--

No I haven't met him yet. I really want to take things VERY slow. So LOL in my mind I would like to wait until at least the end of January. Plus I am feeling self conscious about the way I look so I want to get started with my plan and not get distracted.

The nice part is that he knows most of this and believe it or not is completly fine at respecting my pace. Which to me thats a very good sign-- to have someone willing to wait for you. So I am content at the moment with just getting to know him.

LOL I will keep you posted though! Meeting people in person can be a big shocker sometimes. I have had some really positive and really negative experiences-- I don't know about you!
  • My time to post would probably be in the evenings. I can log in from work, but don't really like to (the whole "big brother" thing), even though I typically work through lunch, get there early, leave late, work from home...yeah, I'm somewhat of a workaholic.

My sister in law is a yoga instructor, but I've never tried it. She swears by it though.

I have a gym membership & have decided that I will formally work out at least 3 days a week. They also offer classes & a pool, so I have my choice. I'm looking into another gym that has Krav Maga & martial arts courses. I've always wanted to try it.

I know what you mean about meeting in person. I've had some disasterous first dates--which didn't lead to a 2nd.

Amy, I love the "name the year" concept. The first word that popped into my head was "empowerment". I think that will be what 2008 holds for me--to be able to empower myself to make the right choices across the board.

I'm off to enjoy the final hours of my holiday. I don't know about y'all, but I'm not ready to go back to work!!!
  • Hello Everyone:

I can relate to the 30-something and single, although I am still married but separated. when I first joined 3 Fat Chicks I looked on the 30-something forum and found many people talking about husbands & kids. I do not have children and sometimes find it difficult to relate to people who do.

The prospect of being single both frightens and exhiliarates me. For one thing, I feel like I now don't have anyone but myself to rely on and therefore it should be easy to put myself first and finally lose that weight, right? But we all know that it's not so easy.

My husband doesn't want to do any kind of physical activity unless it involves driving a golf cart and drinking beer. I love to be outside and walk my dogs and run. He has always been supportive of that, but never to the point of coming along. I would love to explore more outdoor activities (I love virtually any winter sport).

Anyway, I would love to hear from people who are living and loving that 30-something single life, particularly how empowering it can be. After 15+ years of marriage I am totally not ready to date or anything, but I just want to feel stronger on my own. I do believe that "finally" getting control of my weight would be a great first step.

-Heidijn
  • i'm newly married and have no kids...but find that i fit in great in the 30's something group. We don't always talk kids or marriage...mostly we talk about our day and our ups and downs and struggles with our weight. i just find everyone caring and loving. i hope everyone gives it a shot...you will find a wealth of info/support to help you survive this thing called weight loss (:
  • I am glad you liked the New Year idea. How is maybe 10pm? Does that work for everyone?
  • Hi, Amy. Thanks for starting a single's thread. I'd been looking for one. :-)

I'm 38 and single, though I do have a now-grown child. So I am going through a bit of a change, which means spending more time socializing. For me, this means food will be a challenge. I want to spend time at home cooking healthier meals, but that means being ALONE. Sometimes that's cool, but other times, I'd rather be with friends... but we eat out a lot. There are a few who go rollerblading, but I don't live anywhere near them.

I will probably be around at 10pm for chats most evenings, but that's my study time; therefore, that means you'll see a lot of me as I poke my head in for a "study break" :-D
  • Hi Heidijn & Flutist. Welcome.

Socializing is difficult. The food/drinks that go along with it can be killers. I've decided to try to limit myself to alcohol twice a month. As I mentioned early, I enjoy wine & many nights may have a glass. Just extra calories that I don't need.

I love to cook, but hate to cook for one. I don't know how to make a meal for 1 and can usually feed a small army. It's handy to have leftovers, but after a while I'm sick of eating the same thing and I have limited freezer space. I try to take my lunch to work (usually a diet frozen dinner), but sometimes I forget or don't have a meal w/me so I end up going out & eating unhealthy crap!

I did go work out today after work. I think EVERYONE'S new year's resolution was to work out. The gym was packed. I did 45 minutes on the exercise bike. Not really strenous, but a start.

Honestly, I enjoy being single. Most of the time, I don't mind being alone. Every once in a while, it gets to me--not having a someone special just be there...But then I think about it & I can't imagine being married, having kids, etc...I've lived alone for so long (15+ years) that I have a hard time imagining sharing my space and having someone else ALWAYS there. Guess that means I haven't found "the one" and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, better go for now. Will probably be back in a bit. Have a great evening & rest of the week!
  • Quote: Oh Nicole--

No I haven't met him yet. I really want to take things VERY slow. So LOL in my mind I would like to wait until at least the end of January. Plus I am feeling self conscious about the way I look so I want to get started with my plan and not get distracted.

The nice part is that he knows most of this and believe it or not is completly fine at respecting my pace. Which to me thats a very good sign-- to have someone willing to wait for you. So I am content at the moment with just getting to know him.

LOL I will keep you posted though! Meeting people in person can be a big shocker sometimes. I have had some really positive and really negative experiences-- I don't know about you!
    That sounds wonderful! It's great meeting guys that don't care so much about your weight and love you for who you are. I'd actually rather meet a guy at this weight b/c if I meet him at a small weight, and then go up again for some reason, he will love me for who I am. Too many times I hear about jerks who leave their women b/c they got too fat.
  • Quote: I am glad you liked the New Year idea. How is maybe 10pm? Does that work for everyone?
    10 will usually work for me, but I'm tired tonight! LOL We just went back to school today (I'm a teacher) so I'm pooped! Plus I did 15 minutes on the treadmill...haven't don't that in a WHILE! So I'm tired!
  • Quote: Hi Heidijn & Flutist. Welcome.

Socializing is difficult. The food/drinks that go along with it can be killers. I've decided to try to limit myself to alcohol twice a month. As I mentioned early, I enjoy wine & many nights may have a glass. Just extra calories that I don't need.

I love to cook, but hate to cook for one. I don't know how to make a meal for 1 and can usually feed a small army. It's handy to have leftovers, but after a while I'm sick of eating the same thing and I have limited freezer space. I try to take my lunch to work (usually a diet frozen dinner), but sometimes I forget or don't have a meal w/me so I end up going out & eating unhealthy crap!

I did go work out today after work. I think EVERYONE'S new year's resolution was to work out. The gym was packed. I did 45 minutes on the exercise bike. Not really strenous, but a start.

Honestly, I enjoy being single. Most of the time, I don't mind being alone. Every once in a while, it gets to me--not having a someone special just be there...But then I think about it & I can't imagine being married, having kids, etc...I've lived alone for so long (15+ years) that I have a hard time imagining sharing my space and having someone else ALWAYS there. Guess that means I haven't found "the one" and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, better go for now. Will probably be back in a bit. Have a great evening & rest of the week!
    Me too! LOVE being single...and it gets to me once in a while too! But then...I snap out of it! LOLOLOL
  • LOL ladies I love being single tooo!!! I am having a bit of a rough day though I am pmsing and you know when you get into that fatalistic mind set of ugh...and you just feel crappy about yourself and have a bottomless pit of hunger? I am working through it okay and staying up beat but man....when its 8 degrees outside and the winter-- fly me to the carribean! Quick!
  • Quote: LOL ladies I love being single tooo!!! I am having a bit of a rough day though I am pmsing and you know when you get into that fatalistic mind set of ugh...and you just feel crappy about yourself and have a bottomless pit of hunger? I am working through it okay and staying up beat but man....when its 8 degrees outside and the winter-- fly me to the carribean! Quick!
    Where on the east coast are you? It's not 8 degrees out here in Jersey, but it sure feels like it!
  • Just alittle further north. Its supposed to get that cold tonight... I am not sure if it will down by you but....and I agree with you on teh guy thing..to have a guy who loves you larger and thinner...
  • I guess no one is going to feel sorry for it being "really cold" down here---it's in the low 40s & will get down to the high 30s tonight. Might have to pull out the thermal underwear for work tomorrow. LOL
  • You know, I've never had a boyfriend when I was thin. For most of my life I've been heavy, but I swore I would be thin for my 30th birthday--and was. That lasted about 2 years & then the weight started creeping back up....Go figure.