Aussie Chicks in 2008

You're on Page 29 of 53
Go to
  • I had chicken noodle soup for lunch yesterday and chicken, salad and bread for dinner last night. Not too bad.

Looking forward to going home tomorrow as I'm sleeping on my sister's couch which is very hard and lumpy
  • I know what you mean Julia. I have two new housemates - a French-Canadian couple - and I've given them my room and my bed. Until I get work I'm sleeping on something that could loosely be described as bedding.

The trade-off is, that with my other housemate living in the studio out the back, I'm charging them all enough rent that I don't have to pay any . This is a four-month arrangement and is a means to an end. By Monday, when everyone pays me their rent, I will finally start to be in a better financial position!

Yesterday I went and saw the QE 2 while it was docked at Fremantle Harbour - what a magnificent ship. I took the opportunity to go for a long walk, so my results for the day were:

• 1450 calories;
    • 3L of water; and
    • 11km on the pedometer.

I also spent an hour or so in the garden. I weighed myself this morning and I was 79.7kg - so I've gained almost a kilo since moving. Hmmm… that's gotta stop!

Today I have no real plans, but I might do a couple of hours work in the garden, and try to make sure I eat well.

Ani
  • Ani you really are doing the hard yards at the moment. Good on you for sucking it up and coming up with a plan to get yourself moving onwards and upwards. When do you start at Bunnings? Will you be able to afford to get a mattress/airbed or something like that to sleep on? Shame that you've gained a bit of weight but I suppose that's life isn't it.

I'm doing terribly while I'm away from home and I've realised that when I'm away from home, my routine goes right out the window and I find it really difficult even just sticking to a good diet. If I'm honest, I've been stuffing myself for the past two days and even though I know it's only doing me damage, I can't seem to stop myself.

Back home tomorrow and will look forward to gettin back to normal.
  • I start on 17th March, so not long to go now. I have a small camp mattress which is on the floor - I thought about getting a cheap mattress, but then I decided that I'd rather save the money and get a better quality bed. It's my plan to "use housemates" as a way of saving money for the next year… and that way I can save up for my trip to Italy!

I'm not too concerned about gaining 800g - been doing this long enough to understand that it's just a bump in the road. Julia I have days where I pig out too, and I've come to believe that as long as it's only days - and I get back on track - all is good. You've done heaps, and learned heaps… I don't think you have much to worry about.

I agree with you about routines and eating - it's all over the place when our lives are thrown into any form of chaos.
  • Hello everyone, my name is Wendy and I live in the South of Adelaide.

Im married and have 2 girls aged 10 and 13. I work fulltime but hope that wont be forever. I love doing crochet and am forever in the crochetville forum chatting.

My problem I have had since I was a teenager is trying to lose weight. I have done weight watchers a few times and been successful but then I go back to my way of eating whatever and it all goes back on and more. Now Im trying the South Beach diet and hope it will work. I just started this week and my goal is to lose 27kgs.
  • Hey Wendy, welcome to Aussie Chicks . Everyone here is welcoming and supportive - and we all know what it's like to struggle with weight loss.

I am Ani - been losing weight for 18 months now and have dropped around 25kg. I calorie count, and set myself small goals. I never try to lose more than 5kg at a time - it overwhelms me too easily if I try and look at the big picture.

I look forward to getting to know you, and to being a member of your cheer-squad!

• Hi Ani, thanks so much for the welcome. Wow you have done so well. Congratulations. So far this week has been great and getting on the treadmill is definitely helping. I have the next 4 days off so might do more on the treadmill as well as lots of crocheting.
  • Wendy I don't know much about South Beach. Is it low-carb? Do you have a weight loss goal - or a short-term plan for how much you would like to lose?

I basically set myself a goal of losing 5kg per season - at the moment I am doing a personal Autumn challenge. There have been times when I haven't managed to lose as much as I would like, but as long as I "maintain" and don't put the weight back on, I consider it a success.

Not a good day for me yesterday - I ate 1900 calories, drank 0.4L of water and only reached 7800 steps on my pedometer. But that's OK - it's not going to do too much damage as long as I don't repeat it today.

Was woken up by a massive clap of thunder a little while ago, and a few drops of rain - yay! rain in Perth is always a good day!!!

OK today's plan is to eat no more than 1600 calories, drink 2L of water and reach 10,000 steps with my pedometer.
  • The south beach diet starts of with 2 weeks of no carbs then you gradually introduce carbs into your diet so long as you dont put the weight back, if you do then you slow down on the carb intake. Its a easy diet of no potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, biscuits and of course all the naughty food. I want to lose 27 kgs but just going day by day to see how I go for now. I dont have a deadline to lose it.

Its so hot here its unbelievable. I dont know what rain looks like anymore because its been so long since we had any. For the next week its going to be so hot, nothing under 35 until at least Wednesday.

You will do better today, yesterday is gone and you cant do anything about it so just concentrate on today. One of the things I dont do is drink water, I just hate it.
  • Hi Wendy welcome welcome.

I'm Julia and I'm from Christchurch, NZ. I'm doing weight watchers (not meetings, just following the books from home) and have lost 15kg since last June. I also go to the gym as much as I can, usually work out at least 4 x a week.

Not this week though. I got back from Wellington this morning and am really looking forward to the weekend being over and getting back to routine from Monday. I've got lots planned throughout the weekend so won't have any time to exercise. At least now that I'm home I can eat properly again.

Not to mention the fact that I once again get to sleep in my bed Ani!

• Hi Wendy welcome. I'm Von 35 from QLD. Working mum of 7 (his, mine and ours)and studying nursing. Yuk no PASTA??? OMG I can't imagine my life without it lol. But cheers to you and hoping yr ok with it. I don't care much for the spud and other stuff but that pasta.... I'm ok with any food if I eat in moderation, but over time I have learnt that my body just can't cope with any crap foods. If I eat it I either put on or just stay the same even with one kit kat in the week. I don't really like water either but force myself to drink it. Some days are great with drinking 1.5lt other days only a glass. I don't really drink cordials either so my fluids are coffee and tea

Hope you find yr time here enjoyable. We're all a bunch of great peeps and support each other and also kick butt when needed hehee.

How's everyone going? Ani? Hows the rain? Did you end up getting a good downpour? How did yr calories go today?

Vonni
  • Rain? Pfft! Might have got 2mm if we were lucky! Calories? Oh - 1670 - not so bad I suppose, but I did no exercise and only drank 1L of water. Managed 6399 steps with my pedometer, so can't have sat on my bum as much as I thought.

Just came back from 'An Evening With Mary Kostikides and Margaret Throsby", and I really enjoyed it. Went to one the other week with Naomi Wolf - it was good too.

And I'm buggered, so it's off to bed for me.

Ani
  • Morning everyone, its nice to meet you Julia and Von. Boy is it hot here in Adelaide. 39C all weekend.
  • We've got plenty of rain (and snow, and ice...) here if y'all want some!

I am out tonight and tomorrow night drinking, but my excuse is that I'm just being sociable and making friends! Heh. The guys at work are away next week, so I'll be able to eat rabbit food for lunch in peace. Also joining a gym on the weekend hopefully, or at least deciding on one and starting a trial week. Think my work ID gives me a discount, so I'll see how that goes.

Picking up my new car tomorrow! It's a 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon, can't wait to have my own wheels!
  • Good to see you embracing the culture of your new home y'all Gen .

Wish we had a bit of ice and snow here - we're still too hot to talk about! I need someone to slap me… just not getting my head right at the moment. I think, in part, it's because there's nine days to go until I start my new job, I don't have any money, and I'm bored!