Phase I Starters 2008

You're on Page 6 of 35
Go to
  • Hello all,
    Day 3 of phase 1 and I seem to be making it.
    Food plan for today:Breakfast-leftovers from last night(just in the mood) Lunch:egg salad on lettuce,dill pickles and some broccoli florets. Dinner chicken grilled and zucchini steamed with tomatoes,onions,mushrooms,and garlic. Snack will be celery with hummus(going to give it a try) and if needed cheese stick with almonds.
    I haven't got to the plain yogurt yet. I like the vanilla but have not made it to the plain.
    I have gotten my 3 miles in already this morning I need to find other ways of moving during the winter that cost is not involved that would count as exercise. Shoveling snow will not be an option for me(Thank Goodness)!!! I like my shorts!!! I haven't gotten to the library to see if there is an exercise dvd I would like but the library around us really doesn't have great dvd selections. I don't have a bike and I can't use indoor pools. Does that sound like procrastion or what!?!?
    Well I am going to get my breakfast since the kids are waking up so I can make some noise!
  • sunflower, I'm not a big fan of plain yogurt either, but if you can get the 0% or lowfat Greek yogurt (Fage brand is my favorite), it's a completely different animal. It's creamier, thicker, and tastes less sour to me. I have no trouble eating it plain. Trader Joe's carries it, and also some grocery stores.
  • Still following a pretty strict P1 for everything I eat besides my pre-workout snack. That really seems to be working great and is allowing me to workout for a full 4 miles. Today I took it easy with only 2 miles, so I think I'll skip the Luna bar for today and do P1 only.
  • I can't get into the plain yogurt thing either and I have tried many different brands I guess it's just not for everyone.

Glad to see everyone is having a successful go at phase 1 this new year. Keep up the great work!
  • Lemme ask y'all a quick question. I saw Dixie over in TBL forum saying she's on day 3 of Phase 1 and is having the Sb Flu. What's that all about? Is it like Atkins induction sickness? What happens to ya?

Thanks!
  • Well, not everybody gets it, and those that do to varying degrees. I didn't have it at all the first time around. This time I'm a little sick today (day 3 for me too). It's a general yuckiness during the "detox" that can be headache, flu-like feelings, dizziness, etc. It only lasts a day or too and isn't debilitating. It is said that eating beans and making sure to get your dairy servings in helps a lot.
  • Cool, ty.

I haven't started yet, still waiitng on the book but I am trying to watch my carbs and calories and exercising, though I don't feel like exercise today as I am sleeepy.

also, I am Type 2 diabetic taking the metformin, will this be a safe diet for me? Do any of you have have Type 2 like me?
  • Hmmm, SB flu, maybe that is what I am dealing with yesterday and today. My headache started on day 1 in the late afternoon. I thought it was just the shock to my body with lack of carbs. The headache worsened through the night and kept me in bed most of yesterday. I was nauseated so I couldn't eat anything until about 2pm. I stayed on plan, but ate very little yesterday. Last night the headache was horrific. I still have a bit right now, but it is much better. I am still nauseated and haven't yet eaten anything today, but I am heading to the kitchen to find something. I have to work today at 3pm, so I have to eat something for energy. Other than that, ph 1 is going well. I told DH that ff/sf pudding has to wait for ph 2, we had forgotten that. He loves his pudding. I suppose I'll stop by the grocery on the way home tonight and pick up ff/sf fudgesickles for his sweet tooth.
    Best wishes to all, I so enjoy reading everyone's posts. It gives me ideas for our menus.
    Karla
  • Diva: I'm not sure what the Atkins induction sickness is, but it's probably close to the same thing. Not being used to the lack of carbs, our bodies react with flu-like symptoms. Typically headaches, aches, lethargy and sometimes nauseousness and light-headedness. It's not really that big of a deal, but I don't think it's advisable to do a hard workout, etc. on days when a person is feeling this way. For some reason it always seems to set in on Day 3 and is usually gone by Day 5, if not sooner.

Of course, I have no medical proof to back this up, but it is a common occurrence among Sbers!
  • question here
    I have a phase 1 question

are any of the sf starbucks syrup drinks allowed?
  • SB flu is probably the wrong term to use. This thought just crossed my mind. The flu is caused by viruses. This feeling yucky is not a virus. Unless of course you have contracted a virus at the same time. Anyway, I don't know a better term for it. Just my medical mind at work.
    Everyone should remember to get their annual flu shot!
    Karla
  • Gonnabe, you can have the drinks made with sf syrup. Just ask them which they have sugar free if it's not on the board. Also, if you're getting a latte, ask for skim milk, and skip the whipped cream. This is one of my favorite treats, but usually I make it at home - too cheap to pay their prices very often!

Diva, my DH is a type 2 diabetic and he does very well on this WOE with me. He doesn't follow it strictly, but I am the cook, so he eats what I eat. His blood sugar levels are never better than when we are on SB. I think some of the other chicks are also diabetic, so maybe they will chime in. But I think in general, this is a very healthy WOE for diabetics.

Karla, you're right, we're not talking about the flu, technically, just flu-like symptoms. Maybe carb or sugar "detox" would be better. My brother used to go out drinking on Saturday nights when we were teens/young adults. He didn't handle alcohol well, and was always sick on Sunday mornings. My mom called that the "Sunday Morning Flu" LOL
  • Schmoodle thank you for the reply. How do you make them at home?

Karla when I first did phase 1 in may I had a day or 2 of the "flu" but this go around I feel awesome
  • if you're a fan of reese's and all things chocolate & peanut butter, let me introduce you to my favorite P1 dessert: one fudgesicle and 2 Tb of natural peanut butter (requires that you have not had any nut servings for the day but it's totally worth the wait). Nuke the fudgesicle for long enough to get it off the stick (my microwave is 8 seconds), mix in the peanut butter very well and eat small bites because you will want it to last as long as possible
  • dbz thats what they call the peanut butter cup in the recipe section (add cool whip) and yes it is to die for