Phase I Starters 2008

You're on Page 11 of 35
Go to
  • Hi gals,

Had a fairly good day yesterday. No more migraines! Breakfast was eggs, sausage(everyone else got pancakes). It's funny but I hate panckes (have them 3 or 4 times a year), but now that I CAN'T have them,,,,,, I want them!!!!!!!!! Resisted temptation tho. I missed lunch too just like Mellie. No idea why, but I had a bowl of veggie soup at my mom's just in case. Dinner was a chef's salad and 2 hard boiled eggs.

This morning I had some spicy pork (loin I think). We'll have a light salad lunch 'cause DH and I are planning on doing some more serious cleaning today as a workout. Yeay!

Have a great Sunday!
  • Hello
    Good morning everyone. My name is Diana and my husband and I just started the South Beach Diet yesterday.

A little about myself and why I am choosing the SBD. I am 38 years old and mommy to an almost 3 year old and a 16 month old, both girls. I have type II diabetes and have had it since 2001. I recently developed hypertension during my last pregancy and have been on bp meds ever since.

My long term goal is to lose 140 lbs and be able to reduce the amount of medication I take on a daily basis for my hypertension and diabetes. I would love to get off my insulin pump completely. I am not only doing this for my health, but my weight has started to get to me emotionally. It is getting harder to find nice looking clothes that fit and I am worried that as my girls get older they will not want me to meet any of their friends. I am also worried about not being around for them if my health continues down its current road.

My last Dr's appt my cholesterol and triglycerides were perfect, well under the recommended range with the hdl being above the 55 recommended for diabetic women. My bp is currently under control with meds and my A1c was not good due to a bad batch of insulin that I let get too cold. So I am now working to get my A1c back into the 5% range where it was and decided it was time to get serious about losing weight and exercising daily.

My dh is also overweight, but he only needs to lose about half of what I do; however, when reading through the SBD book I realized that the program was what he needed to get himself healthy. Heart problems are hereditary in his family and he has a problem with his cholesteral and his triglycerides even though we eat the same foods. He agrees that he needs to do something, so we are hoping to support each other on this program. He loved what I cooked yesterday for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I think he will be able to stick to this without cheating. He is willing to try new foods.

I have not seriously done a diet so to speak since before I was pregnant with my first daughter. I just maintained my weight even though I was overweight. I put on 20lbs between the two pregnancies that I never lost after having the babies, so my short term goal is to lose 10% of my weight to put me below my pre-pregnancy weight.

I want to take this one step at a time so I do not get discouraged.

Thank you all for letting me ramble on here. I am looking forward to sharing recipes, exercise advice and support with all of you! Happy New Year everyone.
  • I managed to avoid the SB flu thing that I never knew about till reading about it here - I guess it's because we take our dairy seriously in this household (the 2 of us would go through a gallon a day on 1% pre-SB and now in Phase 1, that is hubby's only cheat, he does about 3-4 cups of milk a day because he just can't help himself. Me, I look forward to that freezing cold frothy goodness with dinner and I can stop myself from cheating simply by looking forward to it.)

Anyway, completed Day 4, into Day 5 now. Only problem I'm encountering is that it is easier for me to be regimented on the days I go into work than the days I stay home. Weird. You'd think by staying home, i could cook up a fabulous lunch rather than leftovers, be creative with my snacking, etc. but instead, I'm on the computer or reading all day (homework) and forget to eat, forget to fill my water bottle, etc. So apparently, my lack of short term memory will be a problem for me, and a hard one to overcome to boot!

(whereas my lack of short term memory has been a saving grace in quitting smoking because when I want a cigarette, I wait 2 minutes and completely forget I was wanting a cigarette )

Putting taco bake on next week's menu - very excited. Only question: are the green chilis in the recipe spicy? I can handle spicy just fine by hubby is Big Wuss when it comes to that & I'm thinking I should eliminate those from the recipe

Thanks
  • dbz, the canned chilies aren't very spicy, I don't think you'll have any problem with them, you can even leave them out if you prefer and just add in whatever veggies you like. I like to add all kinds of extra veggies to my taco bake, it seems the more veggies that are added, the better it tastes! In Phase 2, I like to steam a bag of matchstick carrots and layer them over the refried beans before adding the meat/veggie mixture. It's heavenly!

WELCOME BACK, Christina! I certainly remember you, and congratulations on your baby boy!

WELCOME, Diana, too! We're happy to have you and your DH joining us here on The Beach! Look around our site and check out the wonderful recipes. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Day 5 for me and still going strong!

B. 3 scrambled eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, sliced tomatoes
    S. 1/2 cup tomato/roasted red pepper soup
    L. Taco Bake over shredded raw cabbage
    S. sf jello w/ 1 T. ff Cool Whip
    D. chicken piccatta over shredded cabbage, chickpea and tomato saute
    S. black bean brownie w/ 1 T. ff Cool Whip
  • Well day one tomorrow and think I am prepared! Planning the following as of now...
    Breakfast- water, V8, 2 or 3 slices turkey bacon, 2 scrambled eggs with low fat cheese
    Snack-Celery or other green veggies with no carb no sugar ranch
    Lunch-taco bake or cola chicken as making both up to have for the week (I am creature of habit as if i mix it up too much I overeat!).
    Snack-low fat skim cheese stick, maybe piece of turkey deli meat if extra hungry
    Dinner-taco bake or cola chicken again and asparagus

LOTS OF WATER Planned!!!!! And crystal light too
  • Thank you for the welcome!

I am trying one of the phase 1 recipes from this site for dinner tonight. I have a question about a side dish idea I had though.

Is spaghetti squash an acceptable phase 1 veggie? In my SBD book it says the gylcemic index of it is <20 and the same section says only low index items should be used in phase 1, so I am thinking it is okay.

I am planning to cut up some zucchinni and summer squash and saute it with a small amount of homemade pesto (the recipe for the pesto is in the SBD book under the Broiled tomato with Pesto recipe). I was going to serve the squash mixture as a side dish, but if spaghetti squash is allowed I was thinking of serving it on top of the spaghetti squash. Just in a small amount as a side dish to serve with cod.

Any thoughts?
  • Thank you! I found the list and will be copying it and printing it out to place on the fridge. I will let all of you know how it comes out.
    Diana
  • Hey!
    I'm new to 3FC, but not SBD. Hubby and I started back in September of '06 at his doctor's recommendation. I was basically just "along for the ride", since it was just easier that way and we were both SO pleased with the results! We both lost over 30 pounds each over the course of 6 months or so. We maintained it for a while, but towards the end of '07 we slacked off BIG time and are both almost back where we started. Tomorrow we're starting back on P1 (according to the $190 in SBD approved groceries I bought this afternoon, lol!). I'm looking forward to trying new recipes (many of which I've found browsing through these forums!) and getting back to where I want to be. Online support was the best thing for me last time, and I'm excited to be here!
  • Day 6 for me and I feel super

b-bean muffin with scramble egg beaters & turkey bacon
    l-L/O eggplant parm
    s-blt wraps
    d-grilled fish & scallops with salad

A big WELCOME to all the mnewbies
  • Hi everyone dinner was a smashing success.

I did the incredibly easy fish parmesan recipe from the phase 1 dinners forum, only I substituted dill for parsley and I used cod as the fish. It was delicious, dh did not even miss the breading I usually use when making fish.

I did the spaghetti squash. I microwaved each half with water for 15 minutes, drained it and then tossed it with zucchinni I had sauted in a touch of olive oil until it was still sort of crispy. When the zucchinni was done I threw on a tbls of pesto and mixed it up. It was so yummy.
  • Dixiechick77! We look forward to meeting you!

Your supper idea sounds awesome, Diana. Spagetti squash is a staple for me and I'm eager to try your recipe.

WTG, GONNABE! I start Day 6 tomorrow, and it's going super so far!
  • Hi all,
    Checking in late. Trying to cram to much into the last day of holiday vacation! to all the new people.

Todays menu looked like this-Breakfast was 1 c. tuna salad,1c. romaine lettuce and 2 small tomatoes.(bigger than a golf ball smaller than a baseball). It was a late breakfast so went right to an early dinner. Dinner was a large mexican salad. It was about 2 c. romaine topped with 3 med. dollops of refried beans, machca beef,(recipe below) tomatoes,gaucamole,lite sour cream, 2% schredded cheese, and homemade salsa. WAAAAAYYYY good. BIL thought there was noway that could be on my DIET. Told him I'm not on a diet but on a change for life!! Skipped the ice cream and my sister was surprised. Don't know why I have talked to her about what is going on. I have just enough sf jello left if the girls will leave it alone for dessert.

Tomorrow is planned-
    Breakfast-mushroom,bell pepper,onion omelet topped with salsa
    snack-celery with hummus(gonna try a new flavor. Liked the 3 spicy pepper one)
    Lunch-salad with broccoli,cucumber,egg,cheese,mushrooms,and onions Not sure if I will use a dressing or more salsa!
    snack-pistachios(30 I know)
    Dinner-Uh oh!! will have to figure that one out. Have alot of the right meats just have to figure what it is going to be.
    Dessert is in the same boat as dinner!!
    Let's see how close I come to plan tomorrow!

machca-this recipe is for a family of 6 with some(not much) left overs.
    4 lbs round steak trimmed
    med. onion(I use yellow) diced small
    6 to 7 clovers of garlic minced(we like)
    1 sm. can of green chilis
    1 14-15 oz. can of diced tomatoes( I likerotel because it gives it a little spice up without the kids dying)

Spray crockpot with pam put meat in, top with everything else. Low for 6 hours or until meat can be pulled apart. Pull apart meat and return to juice. DH and kids like to eat burrito style,I put mine on a bed of lettuce and top with gaucamole, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes,olives, refried beans,and salsa!

If you want to make it really spicy sub. the sm. can of chilis for a sm. can of jalapenos. DH,DS'sand I like the spicy spicy so we do this sometimes and leave the DD's to cheese crisp. Also I have used roast,london broil instead of round steak but that is usually what we have.

Love it! Brother takes the left over juice and uses that to cook rice in. Maybe when I am out of phase one that will be a meal #2 from the same pot.

I am going to try to check in tomorrow a.m. before we run out the door otherwise I will see you tomorrow afternoon!!
  • Cottagebythesea: (sorry do not know everyone's names yet). It was excellent. I bet it can be done with zucchinni and yellow squash, or any other squash someone wanted to add. For Dh to go back for seconds I must have done something right. The best thing about the diet so far is that my blood sugar numbers have been so much better!

My after dinner number tonight was 110 and lately it has been between 250-300, scary high. If my numbers remain this good I know my Endo will be pleased.

Phxsunflower: Your crock pot dinner idea sounds wonderful. My husband is a huge fan of jalepeno peppers. I bet he would love that one.
  • forgot to ask my questions!

Is Agave Nectar phase 1? Found it at the store and it was cheaper than the honey!?!!?

I know this is not phase 1 but can I use Uncle Sam instant oatmeal?

Ingredients are-whole grain rolled oats, uncle sam cereal(whole wheat kernels, flaxseed,salt,barley malt, niacin.riboflavin,thiamin mononitrate. Total saturated fat is.5 Trans fat 0 Dietary fiver 5, sugars, cholesterol0, sodium 20, potassium 120,carbs 24.? I hope so

Alright now I am off to bed. Night
  • phxsunflower, I think it's best to wait til Phase 2 for agave nectar since it's considered a fruit. I can't wait to have mine with yogurt, delicious!

The Uncle Sam instant oatmeal looks OK to me, I don't see anything refined in it, but that's just MHO and I'm not 100% sure. I'd go ahead and have it in Phase 2.