Does all mayo have sugar?

• I can't find mayo at the store without sugar in the ingredients. But here's the catch...there's no sugar grams listed on the nutritional label, no carbs at all. So, what's the deal?

I thought egg salad would make a fun breakfast or lunch, maybe in a lettuce wrap, but without the mayo, it would just be smushed up hard-boiled egg!

Any advice?

Kara
  • You made me go look at my mayonaise!! (Blue Plate) and the same...had 0g of sugar, but sugar listed in the ingredients. I don't see what would naturally have sugar in it by looking at what it's made of ...it's basically just oil and lemon. Maybe they put such a small amount of sugar in it that it doesn't even add up to a g per serving?

Hey, go for the eggsalad for breakfast...sounds like a winner..you can add all kinds of vegs to it in a wrap, like spinich etc.
  • Cat, that sounds DELICIOUS! I adore spinach and it would be SO good with egg salad!

Thanks!

Kara
  • I recently tried an egg salad from "Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less" that used ricotta cheese instead of mayo, and it was good!

1 boiled egg, finely chopped
    1 Tbsp part skim ricotta
    1 Tbsp finely chopped scallion
    1 Tbsp finely minced fresh parsley (I omitted, cant stand it lol)
    1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (optional but I thought it was fantastic!)
    salt and pepper to taste
    cayenne to taste (I didn't add but would have been good)

Mix and eat They suggested whole grain crackers or thick cucumber slices. I chose crackers, but think cucumber slices would add a nice fresh punch of flavor.
  • Thanks, Suzanne! Sounds good!

Kara
  • Kara, you could also make your own mayonnaise. It's very easy to make and tastes superior to the commercially made ones. Most any cookbook will have a recipe for it.
  • [QUOTE=Suzanne 3FC;1957284]
    1 Tbsp finely minced fresh parsley (I omitted, cant stand it lol)
    QUOTE]

i read somewhere that parsley tastes like soap to 10 percent of the population. It's a gene factor.......... interesting isn't it!
    er.... Best!mots
  • Kara - The SBD Good fats, Good Carbs guide says that 1TBSP regular mayo is Good and may be eaten regularly. While light is limited and FF is to be avoided. Kind of reverses the conventional thoughts that have been drummed in to me during years of "dieting".

Julie
  • I think sometimes light and fat-free varieties add sugar to replace the "flavor" that fat provided. Or perhaps the replacement for the fat is something that's higher on the glycemic index and would spike blood sugar.

Thanks for looking that up for me!

Kara