Metabolic Research Center - Take VI!

You're on Page 26 of 41
Go to
  • Quote: Meemo: I have a feeling that I will be a slow loser. Do you think that the 2-5 lbs per week that MRC advertises only works for some? I'm staying on plan (well most of the time) and I'm happy with the 10lb loss so far. How do you stay motivated to not quit - like I've done so many times before. I'm struggling with believing that I can lose the weight. And there is chocolate everywhere I turn!
    The 2-5 lbs per week they advertise is an average - someone with a lot of weight to lose is more likely to lose 5 lbs/week; someone with less to lose (like me) will be in the 2-3 lbs/week range. I had about 30 to lose, started averaging about 3 lbs/week but that slowed down pretty quick to around 2 lbs/week overall.
    You'll lose more quickly if you exercise. You'll lose more quickly if you stick with the program. But - this isn't a race. And your body will release the weight on its schedule, not yours. Just be patient, stick with the program as closely as you can, drink your water & exercise, and the weight will come off.
    Chocolate has always been there, it will always be there. For now, you just need to find an on-program substitute. Once you get to maintenance, a little chocolate will be your reward for sticking with it now. But now - which is more important? Chocolate, or your health? Chocolate, or the $$ you're spending on MRC?
    Take it one day at a time - you can do anything one day at a time
  • Quote: Speaking of tragedy, I know the family of the young man who committed the killings. They were members of the church I attend. I went to a prayer service tonight. It is so sad. My heart goes out to his siblings as they will have to deal with this at school. They attend the district I work and live in. It has been so horrible how many people this has affected.
    TexDoc Thanks for your concern. I am sure there are quite a few of us who attend MRC that have been affected by what has happened here. It is so nice to know we have support all over the country!

Well, time to get on with things here. Thanks to all for your great support!
    I was about to mention the holidays (not just to you, but to everyone) as a source of stress that will stall your progress on the scales, but add snow AND the stress you must be feeling from knowing that young man's family and dealing with such a tragedy - I'm surprised it wasn't more than half a pound.
    God bless you all there in the Omaha area - so, so sad.
    Anyway, hang in there, sweetie, the stress will pass & the losing will pick up again.
  • meemo Thanks for the kind words. I have had a stressful time since the first of November. I had a major falling out with inlaws and some issues with husband. Even after 28 years of marriage...it is never easy! I will try and keep that in mind and hopefully things will calm down! You always have such good advice!
  • ladies do any of you know if chicken breast is ok on the pre-conditioning menu? It says fowl is that te same as chicken? Sorry but i am making lunch for work and my center is already closed.. thanks
  • WI tonight, and am back to 147, which I weighed on 11/21. Soooo depressing! UGH! But I'll continue to stick to plan. The closer you get to your goal weight, the slower and harder it is to lose. I'm really struggling right now! Thank God for the Tanita -- my fat % is down 3% and my muscle mass is up .5 since last Tanita, and I'm retaining 3lbs of water. So I feel relieved, and am expecting a decent loss next week.

alexiah- Yes, chicken is fowl, so is turkey, goose, duck. Anything with feathers. The breast meat of any of the above will be lower in fat, so choose that if you can. Once you're on a real menu (vs. preconditioning) you'll eat only breast meat. I buy my vitamins/pills at WalMart, Payless, Target; they're much cheaper than MRC.

mefirst- Once when I plateaued, I went back on preconditioning for 3 days and I lost at the next WI. They can also put you on MetaQuick or the 2 meal a day plan to trick your metabolism into losing again. Or you can just wait it out, knowing your body will eventually give in and lose. (I'm the Queen of plateaus...)

CHRISTYBEAN- Try drinking half caffeine and half decaf for a week, then cut back to less and less caffeine until you're totally decaf. You'll avoid the headaches and you won't miss the caffeine. Good luck!

graduatethin- I like to use canned tuna on top of a salad made with about 5oz. of lettuce, some tomatoes, cucumbers, and green pepper. Add some lemon juice and olive oil, or MRC dressing. It's good. Also try the parmesan-crusted fish or fish with cajun seasoning (recipes were in previous MRC boards). The fish in foil recipe posted earlier here sounds yummy too.

Raemi- Try chocolate pudding (my personal favorite) or hot cocoa creamy HNS. You can also have the chocolate crisps 3x/week. I never craved chocolate till I was on this plan, but the pudding at night is my treat. I also like the chocolate mint meal replacement bars for lunch if I don't have time to pack my lunch for the day. I keep a couple in my desk drawer at work for emergencies.

JenfromOmaha- You really have to commit yourself to the program. I try to think of food as fuel now, and not as comfort or a reward or treat (which I used to do). I eat for hunger and nutritional value, instead of taste. If you're having trouble sticking to the plan, see if you can figure out what's making you eat off plan and find a way to meet that need in other ways. I was shocked that I wasn't starving to death on the small amount of food allowed on this plan, but I am hardly ever hungry except for the 1 hour to 30 minutes before my next meal. Just trust that it will work and hang in there! Good luck!

KrazyKK- I understand where you're at! You can do it, just hang in there!! Don't focus on the scale, look at the Tanita for fat loss, water weight, and muscle gained.

Have a great MRC weekend everyone! I'll be back on Monday to read the 5 pages you'll have filled up by then!!!
  • meemo I just have to say thank you for keeping me motivated! I, too, have been having some stressful times, and have only been checking the board & not posting. And seeing you there with your kind words has been making it easier for me to stay on plan. THANK YOU!!!

On another note, we had to take a quick plane trip to Miami (via Atlanta) this week, and I found that if you have time to look in the airports there are a lot more healthy food options! I was so surprised! Of course we were in Atlanta, and Miami airports - so that may have helped that they were bigger, but the options were there. (I even had a turkey burger from TGIFridays!).

No losses for me this week, due to stress & 1 1/2 bloody marys while flying I stayed the same. Time to get back on the wagon and get rid of the pounds!! We also got a weight machine (borrowed from a friend), that we have started using. WOO-HOO! I am hoping to watch the pounds to melt away!

Welcome to all the newbies!! This board is growing like crazy!!!!

Good luck everyone this weekend!!!!
  • Wow! A lot is going on. Praying for all of those in Nebraska.

I, too, am going to try to go off creamies for a few days for two reasons: 1) I want to post some good loses over the next few weeks so it will make up for the slow down around Christmas. Little cheats and family stress I'm sure will put a wrinkle in my weight loss; 2) Also, need to increase my Barlean's Greens because of recent unexplained tummy trouble. I get so nervous now when my belly starts misbehaving. I get scared I am going to have to go on a medical hold and I will do anything I can to avoid having to stall my weight loss.

I have two parties Saturday. I will try to stay OP. I am in full control of the first party at my house (turkey burgers, baked apples, etc. for lunch), BUT the 2nd party is at my house Sat. night and it is potluck. I hope to be able to just pop a turkey burger in the microwave in between games to keep from eating all of the goodies.

I wi'd Wed. and lost 1.8 lbs. I think that is pretty good considering I was at Disney for 4 days and had to go off-program a little because of no good choices. I also found out the my MIL is only planning on having ham for Christmas, so hubby and I are going to cook a turkey breast ahead of time for me to eat and to have while we are staying with them in SC. All of my SIL are slim and I am a little intimidated by that. Maybe next year during the Holidays I won't be the "fat" SIL!
  • I've been buying my flax oil elsewhere, and have a question about how much I'm supposed to take. MRC had me take 3 at each meal, but reading the directions on the bottle I have now, it says 1 at each meal. That would be 3000mg/day, compared to 9000mg/day. Is that ok?
  • Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers- we in Omaha are in a daze. It is such a small city and we all know and love that store as well as the employees.

Mary V.- Thanks for the encouragement, I enjoy reading your postings.

I really love using this method of support, it is so nice to hear you all are having success and when you struggle you don't give up. Very inspiring!
  • Quote: I've been buying my flax oil elsewhere, and have a question about how much I'm supposed to take. MRC had me take 3 at each meal, but reading the directions on the bottle I have now, it says 1 at each meal. That would be 3000mg/day, compared to 9000mg/day. Is that ok?
    donuts could tell you more specifically, but the Flax helps us not lose hair and helps are skin, etc. stay in good condition with the considerably rapid weight loss compared to other "diets". I think it also helps with digestion. I take 4 MRC flax before bed. I bought some Flax from Walgreens, but could never find one with the same amount of ingredients of MRC's. As far a I know, the more you take, the better your body will handle your rapid weight loss.
  • Quote: I've been buying my flax oil elsewhere, and have a question about how much I'm supposed to take. MRC had me take 3 at each meal, but reading the directions on the bottle I have now, it says 1 at each meal. That would be 3000mg/day, compared to 9000mg/day. Is that ok?
    I take 6000mg a day (3 with breakfast and 3 with lunch). Your body can only process 3000mg of them at one time and cannot process anymore than 9000mg in a day, so it is your choice up to 9000mg per day. I was told by my center to take 6000mg perday and no more than 9000mg. So I think it is an optional thing.
  • Good morning ladies does anyone know where i can buy the melba toast? Is it good?
  • Quote: Good morning ladies does anyone know where i can buy the melba toast? Is it good?
    You can buy it at any grocery store. At my store it is over with the bread not on the cracker isle. And yes it is good. I like the garlic or onion flavor.
  • Quote: I wi'd Wed. and lost 1.8 lbs. I think that is pretty good considering I was at Disney for 4 days and had to go off-program a little because of no good choices. I also found out the my MIL is only planning on having ham for Christmas, so hubby and I are going to cook a turkey breast ahead of time for me to eat and to have while we are staying with them in SC. All of my SIL are slim and I am a little intimidated by that. Maybe next year during the Holidays I won't be the "fat" SIL!
    Way to go on your loss,even with Disney in there!
    Keep up your good choices, don't worry about the SIL, and yes you will be a much slimmer SIL by next year girl!
  • I wi'd in today, and lost 2 pounds...30 pound board here I come
    Happy Friday to all!