Rice Delima--Need Help Figuring This Out

• Ok.....I have been getting the same dish from a local Chineese Restaurant for lunch for some time now.

Steamed Chineese Vegetables with Steamed Shrimp & Steamed White Rice.

***The menu says it is the pint size portion but I am unsure about the rice. Are they talking about the veggies or the rice when they say it is a pint size portion?

The rice comes in a very small container (smaller than the one the vegies and shrimp comes in) and I dont know if the rice container is a pint and the vegetables are a quart or if the veggies is a pint and the rice is a cup or something. Help Me!

I dont know how many calories would be in the rice because I dont know how much the container holds.......see how confusing?

The rice comes in the smallest Chineese takeout box there is.........if that helps anybody help me! How much does it hold?
  • The largest chinese take out box that I've seen is a quart. The smallest I've seen is a cup.

I'm going to assume you know the general sizes of the chinese boxes. Quart/Pint/Cup.

From your description it sounds like the Veggies & shrimp come in the Pint box. And the rice comes in the cup box. (I doubt anything would be coming in a quart sized box if they call it pint sized.) Another way to tell is the form the rice into a small ball (I know weird... but...) a cup is about the size of a tennis ball or your fist whichever works better for guestimating.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Or... the next time you order. Double check with the restaurant what comes in what size container.
  • Take the empty containers home and compare with a measuring cup.
  • Take your scale to work and weigh the rice.
  • I'm a big advocate of letting others do the work for me. A lot of restaurants offer nutrition information on menu items. Ask them to provide it to you so you don't have to figure it out yourself. Hopefully, they'll have it.
  • Unless it's a chain, they are unlikely to have nutritional information, but there is a lot of information on line that could give you a general idea.
  • I would bring a cup measure with me and just check. It would be worth the time just to be able to figure out the size so you would know how to count it.
  • I would think its about a cup.
  • It's a cup ladies. I measured it at home. Thanks for the advice.