Alternative treatments?

• Has anyone on here tried the alternative treatment route? I think I have PCOS w/ IR and adrenal fatigue plus low liver function and low throid function. I say I "think" because I probably won't go to see a medical doctor, I'm working with some alternative health professionals. Where does one start when so much is thrown off?
  • Exercise Studies have shown that plenty of regular exercise along with a reduced calorie diet can reduce symptoms of PCOS and cause weight loss without any other types of treatment or special dietary changes.

But, you may want to consider going to a medical doctor anyway even if just for testing and not treatment. There could be other more serious conditions that cause those symptoms, and it may be something that an alternative treatment can't help. I'm all for avoiding some types of medical treatment if there is a natural treatment available that is clinically proven to have the same effect. Unfortunately, there are still so many conditions which won't improve or may get worse through that route.

Good luck
  • I with you and would rather see a naturopath or homoipath then see a med doc, but it would hurt to have a bunch of labs run by a med doc to see exactly what you are dealing with, kwim? That way you are treating a buch of things that *might* be a problem, but are a problem.
  • I would first get a medical diagnosis before seeing an alternative medicine pratctioner. Most would insist on it in any case.

I have used herbs in the past with great success, so I am all for it
  • Best of Both Worlds
    I used a medical doctor that was also a TCM practitioner. He was great. He has also had 100% success in helping women cycle (we all got pregnant).
    I was already exercising and eating a relatively low calorie diet. He used a combination of herbs and accupucture. I lost weight (I was down to 207 from 233) and was cycling until, of course, I got pregnant.
    Unfortunately I moved and I've not been able to return to this doc for treatment after the birth of my child. I'd LOVE to have his help right now.
  • Homeopathic is terrific and I commend you for wanting to go that route - HOWEVER - I agree you should get an ACTUAL diagnosis from a traditional doctor and rule out any other issues that COULD require traditional forms of treatment. Personally - I combine both and while I loathe the meds I take I also know they have saved and continue to save my life.
  • Good Luck!
    I was lucky enough to find an acupuncturist who recommended a fantastic doctor! My doctor is a MD but she is also holistic an uses natural options whenever possible. I have insulin resistance, PCOS, adrenal fatigue, and hypothyroidism. She uses vitamins and suplements to treat most of my symptoms while I adjust my diet and excercise to treat the underlying problem. The supplements have treated several cysts and my hypothyroidism. I still need to get my diet in check so all of the other hormones get back in place. I think a holisitc doctor is the best thing anyone can do, especially when their hormones are out of whack since normal treatments throw them further out of place.