Stevia

• I was hoping for some opinions! I've cut sugar out of my life completely and I'm trying to get away from artificial sweeteners, but I like things like my iced tea/hot tea to have some sweetness (and I imagine that in the future, there will be recipes I'll want some sweet-taste for). I've heard on my favorite fitness podcast about Stevia, and I was hoping to give it a shot. They recommended these: http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/NF-090 , as the hosts said that they didn't have as much of a bitter aftertaste as the plain powder tends to.

However, those handy packets are a little pricier in the long run than, say, a bottle of the powder would be (because the bottled powder is SO strong that you use a VERY small amount).

I'm hoping that those who've used Stevia can help me. Should I buy the powder-form, liquid-form or the stuff in the packets? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to order some off the 'net very soon!
  • Hi there! I'm trying to come off of artificial sweeteners, also. My post was about agave nectar, but there may be something here for you.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124893
  • Thanks, Rhonda! Just a quick update: I had to bring my car to Sears today to get an oil change and I wandered around the mall while I was getting it done, I went into GNC and asked if they had Stevia. They did! They had both the powder and liquid. The powder had 1g of carbs per packet/serving, so I stayed away from it (the additive was Maltodextrin). I picked up the liquid and I'm trying it right now in a glass of iced tea! It's sweet! The liquid Stevia only has a slight aftertaste to it...and I'm sure I'll get used to it in the same way that I got used to the Splenda aftertaste and the Aspartame aftertaste

I'm pretty psyched about it! And for the amount that you need to use in the glass (I used 5 drops in a 20oz glass), the bottle isn't expensive at all. It was $12 for the bottle! A "serving size" is 5 drops and there are 236 servings in this tiny 2oz bottle!
  • I've used the individual packets of straight Stevia with fiber before, and I have no complaints. I've even cooked with it, I think I substituted 50% sugar and 50% stevia sweetener.
  • I have never tried stevia, but I love agave nectar! It is sooooo sweet so I only have to use a drop of it in tea. I also used it when I made a baked apple the other day and it was great! Its a little runnier than honey so its a little easier to use.
    I know I have read something about stevia, and I could go look it up, but what is it exactly?
  • Stevia's made from a plant, it's all-natural. It's very sweet (it gets bitter if you use too much of it, I guess, but I haven't had that issue yet). There are NO calories (or carbs/sugar, if you look for one without Maltodextrin as a bulking agent), and since it's natural, I figure that it's a great calorie-free way to sweeten my drinks. I've only had it today but so far I've tried it in iced tea and hot, herbal tea and it sweetens both nicely
  • I've used the powder packets and it has no aftertaste. I wonder why it's still not FDA approved in the US.
  • I've used the packets. I had to use only half or else it was to bitter. I then switched to the tabs. One tab for a cup of coffee was enough for me. I prefer the liquid stevia I feel like I have more control.
  • Quote: I've used the powder packets and it has no aftertaste. I wonder why it's still not FDA approved in the US.
    Because the sugar industry would lose money. It's approved as a food supplement, that's why it's labeled as a "nutritional supplement" instead of a "sweetener" in the US. I have my theories about the FDA and various food industries, drug companies and their lobbyists, but that's another thread.

I use KAL brand liquid stevia, I don't think it has a bad aftertaste at all but I've tasted some horrible stuff in powder form. I've also used xylitol and agave and brown rice syrupas natural sweeteners, they are low-glycemic but not non-caloric like stevia.