October 2007 The Beck Diet Solution

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • Completed Day 4: Give Yourself Credit
    Day 4: Give Yourself Credit

I wrote in my journal a tediously long list of credits, that included:
    o) 2 years of healthy lifestyle: mindful eating, walking, and gym.
    o) Faithfully recording my daily weight, pedometer steps taken, percent body fat.
    o) Expanded eating choices. Just yesterday, added Delicata Squash and Boc-choi to our dinner.
    o) Bought clothes that fit; donated ALL old clothes.
    o) Committed to using The Beck Diet Solution to develop skills for long term maintenance.

My Sabotaging Thought: Not a big deal – I only lost the 80 pounds that I had carelessly put on.
    Helpful Response: But I did have the weight, and I did lose it. If I don’t give myself credit, I’ll be less likely to stay on track.

My Sabotaging Thought: It’s demeaning to have to praise myself and to need to build confidence. (I’m a man )
    Helpful Response: Giving myself credit helps me to absorb the good habits I want for a lifetime. Building confidence this area isn’t declaring myself a wishy-washy person everywhere.

XXXX||| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-Day 4 of 42
  • Completed day 5: Eat Slowly and Mindfully
    It’s a big one that eating slowly and mindfully allows me to feel satisfied without thinking that I need second helpings. Cutting out seconds was a major part of my portion control.

And it helps me to savor tastes other than salt, sugar, and fat, which has helped me to become aware that I'd fallen for the trap that the food with more salt (or more sugar) was better. I wasn't paying much attention to the other tastes.

Have you noticed any foods that taste better when you're eating slowly?

XXXXX|| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-day 5. 37 to go. Keep going!
  • Completed day 6: Find a Diet Coach
    Hmmmmm… a little quiet around here right now. As folks start posting more, we can use each other as diet coaches.

One backup idea would be to use the nutritionist at my health plan. Perhaps I could get away with appointments every six months. Has anyone ever been to a nutritionist before? Do you have to arrive with a week's detailed eating history? Eating plan?

Gina - Any word yet from the Beck people about online diet coaching?

My Sabotaging Thought: If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it can it still be your diet coach?
    Helpful Response: Build it and they will come.

XXXXXX| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-day 6. 36 to go. Keep going!
  • BillblueEyes,

thank for continuing to post-Yes I want to get back to working the exercises and posting my responses. Love your sabotaging thoughts about the falling tree.

For what my posting are worth I commit to posting about following the Beck steps once a day during the next week. I will write more tonight- miust take off for work now.

Maybe if a group of us commit to a short posting each day that would be some diet coaching. I tend to not post when I am overeating. Again kind of a denial about today and plan to eat right tomarrow and then post my successes versus my screw ups of today.

My hugh and re-occuring ST(Sabotaging Thought) is Ok, Ok, I promise myself that I will eat low cal TOMARROW. To bad I have over two weeks of tomarrows.

Any one esle up to a one week posting committment dealing with good and bad of our eating?

thanks
    sue
  • I just started the book & am just getting to the nitty-gritty of writing down what's good about dieting. I've read so many books & done so many diets .... it's just crazy. And I've lost significant amounts of weight (10, 20, 30, 40 pounds) & kept it off 8 mo - 1 year... but then something happens & I stop exercising & go back to old eating habits & suddenly I'm fat again. bleh! - I just want to stop yo-yo dieting & have some tools to maintain once I do lose this weight again. I really hope the Beck book will help me!
  • Hello
    Hi Sue, great that you're onboard Feel free to just post your thoughts without needing "successes or screw ups."

Welcome Beach Patrol, you've come to the right place for a bunch of people who are on the same page as your statement "maintain once I do lose this weight". As you can tell by the posts, some of us are also just starting Beck, so you're right in sync

• HI folks,

Welcome to Beach Patrol. Glad you have joined us.

I did have a very sensible day-I did preplan a low cal lunch and ate moderately for dinner. My one big oops was a second 4 ozs of wine. The 1st 4 ozs I drank without tasting. That slow savory is so important. tomarrow will be even better. I am finally accepting that I need to lose weight now, not later.
    Bill I sure know how to criticize my my mistake, but giving myself praise does feel odd. How can one patronize ownself? But that what is feels like. I had a slight ahha moment when I realized I had made a small mistake at work and told myself it isn't the mistake that is the big deal but how much I beat myself up for the mistake. Maybe not praise but a genuine acceptance of mistakes as part of life. The flip is to accept those thing that I do well also or at least making a real effort to change unhealthy habits.

I remember from the 1st time of doing Beck I do not know how to reward myself. Particuliarly since the reward has been food for years. Food has been a quick cheap and readily available reward.-more comfortable with it than self praise. One of the greatest rewards for food/wine has been the physical sense of tension reduction.

St: extra food/wine will help me relax, celebrate, soothe, reward -put me in a better mood.

helpful response: More food does not change emotions -worse will not change my large cumbersome body which creates emotions such as depression, anger, lack of control and alot of pain.

So glad you folks are there
    sue
  • Giving Yourself Credit is Tough
    Sue - It's very useful for me to read your comment:
    Quote:
    it isn't the mistake that is the big deal but how much I beat myself up for the mistake
    Beating myself up is just my Sabotaging Thought that prevents Give Yourself Credit. Writing down some self praise each day is a tough one for me for exactly the reason you state - it feels like I'm patronizing myself.

So, that's my little molehill. Oh, Well.

• Completed day 7: Arrange Your Environment
    • Stocked healthy snacks in my office: ones that I like, that make me feel like I’ve eaten something that will last me a couple hours, and that I can keep in bulk because they aren’t trigger foods for me.
    • Stocked my office to support bringing my lunch: spices, silverware, bowl, resealable microwaveable container, and canned soups for when I don’t bring lunch.
    • Removed trigger foods from home: oatmeal-raisin cookies, dark chocolate bar in the freezer, bag of cashews.
    • Stocked healthy snacks at home.

XXXXXXX 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-day 7. 35 to go. Keep going!
  • Woo Hoo! - I started my "walking program" last night. 15 whole minutes! Feel'n groovy....

(instead of saying "I could only do 15 minutes".... I am saying "I did 15 WHOLE minutes!" good step!)
  • Hey! I loved what you said about the trees Bill. I get it! I will try harder . . . even when my motivation is high it is hard to keep going when no one is around. I agree that it works a lot better when we all post daily even if it is a short post.

Sue, I am game. Do I understand that you challenged us to all post daily for a week??

I am doing pretty good.

ENVIRONMENT: I am a little stuck on environment. I have teenage boys and keep their treats in a panty in the garage. That is ok per Beck suggestions. That said, I have a problem with going out there when I have a "craving/want". Last night I restocked it and got my family snacks that aren't my favorite and also bought some of the 100 calorie packs. So far that is working . . . but it has only be about 12 hours!!

Do you think I am doing that step correctly?

I am really working on planning and journalling. I am doing really will with it at the moment. I have supper in the crock pot but need to stop and get a few things to go along with it. I am journaling everything. But it is the "little" things that trip me up. I am going out with a friend to eat China this noon . . . well, I am not sure how to estimate so that will be a bit of a problem. Black or white and all-or-nothing seem to be at the root of that problem. I think I will just need to guess and then get over it.

Gina
  • WELCOME Beach Patrol!
  • Waving
    Hi Beach Patrol - Congratulations on starting the walking. I've grown to really like my daily walks - am surprised what I've learned about my own neighborhood.

Hi Gina - Your solution to the Environment in a household with teenager boys seems like a very good arrangement. Bet that Beck would call that a success. An earlier poster talked about using the Oh Well Card for letting go of an eating situation. I'm going to try it myself - maybe it'll work for you after your lunch with a friend.

My latest Environment pot hole is Halloween candy. DW usually buys stuff to hand out that she knows that I don't like. This year, however, in addition to the oddball stuff that has no draw for me, for some reason she bought miniature Hersey's chocolate bars. Those call my name. I hate it when I'm drawn to commonly available mediocre food like it was a rare treasure. I'm drawn to good dark chocolate - which satisfies me in small quantities . But, standard Hersey's calls me to eat as many as I can get in my hands. So dumb.

XXXXXXX 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-day 7. 35 to go. Keep going!
  • Hello everyone,

I have just finished a long day of work and I am sitting here with a wine glass filled with water. That is a biggie for me. I plan to have the one glass of wine later when I will slowly savor it.

Gina and BillblueEyes-those tempting treats around the place is one hard things. I also am a chocoalcoholic-prefer the best but still inhale the so-so ones. Can DW at least hide them until 10-31?

Gina- You are really working out a balance for the teens-Much credit to you the garage is good, could they even find another hiding place you do not know about? Any chance there could be lock which only they have the key or combination? I swear that ice cream is a magnet which draws me to the refrig at night. I understand the fear of even being around the stuff at all.

I bring this up as my husband has had to resort to such behavior for candy treat.-you know the skinny types who can use the extra cals. He can get candy bars on sale and keeps them around for weeks if they remain well hidden in his workshop.

Beach Patrol- great start on the exercising. Movement is such important stuff.

I am feeling recharged and love that this site is still active. I am going for a goal of losing another 10 % of my total weight. Since it is just my DH and myself the food environment is one of my strongest points, but starting Friday we are having 3 set of over night guest during the next week. It is his birthday-dinner out, drinks, and sweet treats will be coming into the house.

ST-It ok I can over eat because it is a party-heck they brought this great treat, ect. I am sure I'll go back to the diet mode as soon as they are gone. My Oh well quickly go to Oh **** why not.

Any help with a response, phrase, pep talk, techniques would be so appreciated. This has my major problem to losing more weight.

changing brain
    sue
  • Completed day 8: Create Time and Energy
    Creating time and energy to:
    • Walk at lunch, after work, and on weekends
    • Work out at the gym
    • Shop for food for my lunches
    • Make granola, plan and pack my daily lunch
    • Eat breakfast at home
    • Read some 20+ books on health, exercise, and nutrition
    • Eat slowly and mindfully
    • Work the Beck DIET solution, including lists and lists and lists

XXXXXXX 7 X|||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
    Completed Beck Program-day 8. 34 to go. Keep going!