October NSV'S

You're on Page 1 of 13
Go to
  • Welcome to one of the most popular threads here at the 100lb club!

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. It is definitely one of my favorite threads, incredibly inspiring and no, it is NOT the time to be humble!!!! It's also capable of provoking a few tears every now and then. So let's start filling er' up.
  • I don't usually post here anymore as I figure you are all fairly nauseous from listening to me and my NSV's. BUT it is the first of the month and I just must get out a few that have happened over the last week or so.

-This one comes from my youngest daughter. We were sitting next to one another. She puts her arm around me. Starts feeling around my back and playing with my backbones and then says, "Ma, you could kill someone with those things." It made my day/week/month/year.

-This one came from middle daughter. We were sitting on the couch. She put her legs on my lap and said, "Ma, your thighs are like rods. They're so skinny and hard. Actually everything on you is so hard." Well that just about made my year/decade/life.

-Shoes. I finally got rid of my old ones. They are swimming on me beyond belief. I had the widest feet possible. They were practically just as wide as they were long. I had so few pairs of them, because nothing would fit me. I held on to them for dear life. Well, I finally parted with them last week. Shoe shopping is definitely still difficult for me. I need to find ones with a nice wide toe box. It's difficult, but it's nothing, NOTHING like it was. It's difficult, meaning I just can't buy any pair that I see. But I have managed to buy about a dozen pairs in the last couple of months. And so I was finally able to part with the few horribly worn out pairs that I had owned prior to my weight loss. This was a huge and emotional NSV for me.

-My DH was doubled over in pain on Thursday morning. Just awful, awful. It came, it went, it came back. And then he found blood in his urine. And the pain was worse. And he couldn't move. And I had to call an ambulance. It was horrible. Just horrible. I went with him in the ambulance. And as my poor husband was writhing in pain, I was thinking that if I was still morbidly obese, I never, ever would have gotten up into that ambulance. It was a huge step and I would not have been able to hoist myself up there. And then they put me in this tiny little seat, that I never would have fit in prior to my weightloss. I'll cut to the chase. It turned out to be kidney stones. We were in the hopsital for 13 hours. I never could have endured or had enough stamina for that day and the whole ordeal that ensued had I still been so heavy. We got home at 3:00 in the morning. Which is why I've been a little behind on posts here, by the way. Anyway, there was so much I had to deal with. I had to keep on pressing the nurses for pain meds and to refill his IV and to see a doctor and to get tests done and then get his results and his instructions. And all the while I kept thanking G-d that I was able to do this so much better because I was no longer morbildy obese. He was in a teeny, tiny cubicle and they gave me this teeny, tiny chair to sit in. And nurses were there and doctors. I never would have had enough space had I still weighed what I did just over a year ago. I kept asking the doctors and technicians if I was in there way and they kept saying, no, of course not. We had a rough few days, finally the stone passed Saturday afternoon, but after a few rocky moments. Before we had the test results, I kept thanking G-d that at least my children had one healthy parent. Through the whole ordeal I kept thanking G-d that I was no longer morbidly obese and therefore this entire horrible situation was more managable.
  • Robin, I'm glad that your DH is feeling better. What a tough night for all of you. I can imagine the relief you felt at being physically able to stay by your DH's side all night. I'm sure he appreciated having you there.

And, I must say that I am absolutely not tired of your NSVs!! Keep 'em coming!
  • Quote: I don't usually post here anymore as I figure you are all fairly nauseous from listening to me and my NSV's.
    Robin, are you kidding?! You're one of us and we love hearing about your NSV's!

Sorry to hear that Hubby had to go through that...I've heard that kidney stones are very painful. Hope he's enjoying life a bit more today.
  • Robin, hope your husband's feeling better soon. And good work on the NSVs!

My NSV is that despite my allergies being extremely aggravated by all of the ragweed around, I did make it to the gym for 30 minutes on the Arc Trainer. I didn't make my usual 45 minutes, because I was too tired/couldn't breathe as well as I normally do, but I did something. I have a really bad tendency towards all or nothing, so this is a good precedent for me. Normally, I'd say forget about it altogether.
  • Mine for today....size 14 jeans now fit me. No, I don't feel COMPLETELY comfortable in them and still prefer size 16. But as far as comparing the way I look in them compared to the way everyone else in America likes to wear their jeans...they FIT!!! (I think I'm the only person left that prefers my jeans to be pretty doggone loose!)

Ok...final confession...above jeans are from Old Navy...so maybe it really doesn't count??? But I love that I have clothes hanging in my closet that I can wear that say size 14! In January my size 28 jeans from Catherine's fit like the size 14 from Old Navy do now!
  • Robin are you kidding...love you nsv's. I don't remember one that I can't relate too or want to eventually relate too.Glad that your hubby is feeling better.

Royals- congrats on the size 14, what an awesome feeling.

Well this morning I was able to go through a whole Cycling class without taking any extra breaks woot!!
  • I just submitted my grant, so I am on a bit of a high. I am way tired and wiped out, but am heading to the gym as soon as I get confirmation that my submission was received. I told myself all night and all this morning that I didn't have to go, that I could skip a day because I was pushing my body so hard anyway with the lack of sleep. But I am soooooo going - and if I had any doubt, reading these NSVs would have taken it away. And that's my NSV.

Tricia - Size 14, eh? That's amazing. Congratulations. I fit into size 16 in almost everything, but most jeans are still a tight fit. So, the fact that they're jeans makes it even more impressive.

Robin - Your NSVs are so important for us who aspire to get where you are. Please don't stop posting them. And so glad your husband is feeling better. There's just nothing worse than watching a loved one in pain, but the fact that you were able to be there for him is wonderful.

And look at you go, Hope. Cycling classes are tough, I understand, though they're not offered at my gym. Looks like you're really getting into the swing of things.
  • I know what Robin means, because I sometimes worry that I post too much on the NSV thread and people don't want to hear me anymore! But then I remember how much I love reading NSVs from people who've hit goal or are close, and I think...ok, maybe I can keep posting too! But seriously, tell me to shut up if you want to.

Until you tell me to shut up, though...here's another NSV.

Someone told me today that she drove by the school and saw my husband standing with some skinny blonde, but then she realized it was me! Heehee -- a skinny blonde!
  • I guess this is a NSV. Losing weight has helped me regain my self-confidence. So when a man began talking to me, I didn't shrug him off. Fast forward 6 weeks, we are still talking...even about a possible future together. The funniest thing..he knows my weight and could care less! He's been one of my best cheerleaders!

Oh...my 16's are getting baggy too!
  • OH MY GOSH, I'm NORMAL!!!

How on earth did this slip by me??? I was checking out some stuff on the WW website and just decided to check my BMI while I was there and it's now 25!! NORMAL!!! I couldn't believe it, I don't think it's been in the normal range since I was 23 and got pregnant with our first child.....my heart is actually pounding!!!
  • I wore a pair of jeans today that I bought about a year ago. I had put them away because I just knew subconsiously that they wouldn't fit. Well, today they slipped right on! I didn't even have a fat roll squishing out the top! I got kinda bummed out tonight though when I took them off and held them up and actually saw the huge expanse of fabric it took to cover by backyard....
  • I bought and wore a pair of jeans today that is size 14! I'm still between a 16 and 14 in most clothes, but I love seeing the 14 on this tag! They look so small to me. I can't believe I was in a 22 in January and I'm in a 14 now. Time flies sometimes.
  • Quote: boaterswife
    Oh that is such great news. Bet you are so happy with yourself. I am sure happy for you. I was a little disappointed. At 198 mine was 35. At 176 mine is still 35. Have no idea how much I have to lose before it goes down. Could you maybe give me the link you use to check your BMI? Maybe I am using the wrong site to check it lol can always hope.
    Rennie....I sent you the link via PM so I wouldn't break any of the rules...good luck! Also, you may want to try googling bmi, there are many different sites out there to check it!
  • Shy Moment, being 4 foot 11 inches, you need to be 124 lbs to be at a healthy weight, according to those lovely BMI charts.

We have a BMI calculator right here at 3FC:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Calc...MI_Calculator/

I had to wait all the way to get to 127 to get to that distinction. Ain't it grand being so short? Oh well. I now actually kind of like it though, now that I've lost the weight. I feel small and petite. And tiny. And feminine.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you lovely, lovely ladies for making me feel so comfortable and wanted here and for still wanting to hear about my NSV's. You're the very best - and that's why I love it here. Thank you again.