Metabolic Research Center - Take IV

You're on Page 3 of 40
Go to
  • ShineOn - My favorite ways to cook fish are to broil it or fry it. Broiling takes about 3 minutes per side for thin fillets. I fry it on medium in 2 teaspoons of olive oil. While it's easy, the absolute worst way to cook fish is in the microwave - just too fishy and has a weird texture! I make a very low sodium cajun seasoning mix, and use it on chicken and fish. It's very flavorful and you can use a little or a lot. It's good to let it sit on the meat for a few minutes. The recipe makes about 1 cup of seasoning, which lasts me about 6-9 months.

CAJUN SEASONING
    2 t salt or salt substitute
    3T black pepper
    2T garlic powder
    1t onion powder
    1t nutmeg
    2T dried parsley flakes (crunched)
    4T red/cayenne pepper (ground)
    2T chili powder

Combine all ingredients; store in an airtight container.

Good luck!
  • oreoparent ~ Glad to hear the update on your mom, I have her on my prayer list. Hope the car & house sells soon!

ShineOn ~ I haven't read the Debbie Macomber Cedar Cove series...but I LOVED Shirley, Goodness & Mercy angel series! No TV during football season? Take your temp....you must have fever! We just finished watching an AUsome game......unranked Auburn beat #4 Florida!

krazykk ~ The pudding is good! My 1st try was runny pudding...but you catch on pretty fast after eating the 1st serving with a straw instead of a spoon!!! I think the hot cocoa is my favorite creamy! I had a cup with my cinnamon toast at supper....it's like having dessert!

BahamaDreamz ~ WTG on the 3.5 loss....after the wedding! Missed you but thought you were just "wasted away in the Bahamas" and your dream was a reality!

Ok, the fish challenge is on!! I like talapia and salmon but DH thinks both are too fishy-tasting. So tonight I used pollock and Lemon-Pepper Shake-n-Bake on his and he liked it! I sprayed a pan with butter flavored Pam and cooked my piece with Old Bay seasoning. I've even tried breading mime with crushed melba toast...but I had rather have cinnamon toast & hot cocoa for dessert!

What is a funnel cake class?? Share details, please!

WAR EAGLE and goodnight everyone!
  • Hey everyone

I cannot believe I missed Mary V's 50 pound board signing. That is such a huge milestone! I always enjoy your insight to weight loss. A lot of people give up early with slow weight loss, but I know your focus has been on the lifestyle changes which is the most important part for the longterm.

Well.....as you can see I'm still here I was properly reprimanded and warned. No more poking the beehive for me. At least I know my private messages are working.
    I am sorry if this brought any negative vibes here. We are such a positive force! Thanks for all your positive comments. It would be a great loss to me if I couldn't be a part of this awesome community. Time to let it go and move forward

We have so many wonderful new people now that it's getting harder to congratulate and respond to all of you. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great. I just don't want to miss helping and congratulating anyone.

My absolute favorite fish dish (excluding the all you can eat fish fry at the local restaurant) is pan fried breaded talapia. My DW made some a couple of weeks ago. She put Wasa crackers (similar calories as melba toast) in the blender to make a breading flour. You can mix in Italian seasoning or I like Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning. Mary V's Cajun seasoning sounds awesome too. She then puts a little olive oil (2 teaspoons or less per 6 oz serving) in a skillet, and fries fish a few minutes on each side.

lucky40 give yourself time to adjust to the MRC plan and lifestyle changes. It's a learning process. We all have had WI's that disapoint, but by sticking through it one day at a time we all have had great successes too. The hard times make the successes all the sweeter. Hold on to that towel, and come with us for a journey of a lifetime!

BahamaDreamz You're keepin the dream alive!!!
    Congrats on the whooping 3.5 pound loss!!!

4my2ltl1s Don't worry about the slow start, just keep working towards the strong finish. In a few short weeks you will be amazed at your own progress. I didn't have a slow start, but there were times when my weight loss slowed down. In the beginning I made a few mistakes with the meal plan. The postings here and help from the MRC staff helped me step by step.

ShineOn You're in the fat burnin mode!!! Yea, 2 lbs!!!

I guess the chatty bug got to me too.

TTFN
  • My favorite fish dish is tilapia with parmesean cheese. Spray fish with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, season with pepper and coat with the cheese. Brown in a pan sprayed with butter-flavored Pam. The smell isn't great (cheese cooking), but the cheese makes a crust when it melts.

Good luck on WI's this week.
  • fish
    Sorry I've been MIA but I've had some DSL issues!

Anyway, congrats to you LOSERS!! Don't you just love this program?? I haven't felt this good in years. I feel SO in control of food. I'm not having ANY cravings at all. It's a miracle!

I was not losing at the rate I should be AND I was so stuffed after each meal that I was miserable... so our center's manager allowed me to change to the green menu. OMG, it's so much better. Who would have thought that 2 oz of protein could make a difference? That extra 2 oz made me miserable.

OK, on the topic of fish. I'm not really a fish person but I do like tilapia. I made a fish sauce last night and it wasn't bad at all...lol...changed up the dish for a change.
    I used 1/2 pkg of butter buds and liquified it per pkg directions. I added 1 TBS of fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of MRC chicken bouillon, some fresh spices (oregano, basil, thyme...just a few leaves of each) and slowly warmed it over low heat. I used old bay and blackened the fish in 2 teaspoons (my daily oil) of olive oil. I poured 1/2 the sauce over the fish after it came out of the skillet. I'll use the other half tonight.
  • BeeChick - that sauce sounds yummy! I'll try it next time I make fish.

I forgot to mention the funniest thing - when I signed the 50-lb board the counselor called me a big FAT loser - I thought it was hilarious. When can being called a big fat loser be a GOOD thing?!?!? Only when the emphasis is on the word FAT! We're all big FAT losers! YAY for us!
    Hello to all! I've been w/ MRC for 30 days not counting pre-con. I've lost 17.5 lbs and 16.25" last measurement. I look forward to visiting w/u all. I lost 7 lbs pre-con. 5 in week 2, 2 in week 3, and 1.5 week 4, and last week just 1 lb. I'm up for ideas to jumpstart again. I've followed program perfectly. Goal loss is 71 lbs. Have a great week everyone!:
  • SB4ME

I am rather new here to and even newer to MRC than you! I have my first weigh in tomorrow! I am so excited and a bit nervous!

I did some more shopping today, looking for MRC friendly products. I found some Walden Farms products at a local store. I was thrilled!

hvnlymzic Funnel cake class is a cooking class our center offers. They have classes all the time here! There will be a Halloween Cooking class also. They seem to have something extra 5 out of the 6 days they are open!

Have a great week everyone. I will be back tomorrow, hopefully with a good report!
  • New to website!
    Hi guys!!!!!
    I am new to this website. I have looked at it and decided I wanted to be part of it. I am on the metabolic program and love it so far!!! I have lost a total of 14 pounds so far on it. I have another 10 left till stabilization. I have lost 10 before that. I am trying to stay motivated and figured this would also help. I want to keep it off this time!!!!!
  • WELCOME ~ angie2122 and sb4me You will love hanging out with us!!! We were all NEWBIES at one time....now we are proud to say we are "FAT losers"!!

Mary V ~ I can't wait until I sign the 25 pound board! I am so proud of you for signing the 50 pound board! That makes you a bonafide big FAT loser! WTG Mary V!

On the fish thingy....lunch was salmon, grilled on stovetop with Mrs Dash and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Pretty tasty!

Angelhealer ~ Did you find a scale? Check your pm, too!
  • donuts - So glad to see you here still...sometimes on here I think its best to let our results speak for themselves...This is a balanced plan, that yes, happens to include some supplements, but for the most part I think its leaps and bounds above the plans that force you to avoid a whole food group...but then everyone here knows that.

ShineOn - I love the seaside series...i've not read the new one, so no spoilers! I'll probably wait to read it until the library gets it...Macomber is a fantastic author (in that genre)...I also like her Navy Wife books.

Welcome sb4me! This group is fantastic help in the program. You won't know what you ever did without it...i promise!

Alright funnel cake girls....you all officially have to tell us what the heck you learn in that class. I might be able to convince everyone I know to join if we can eat funnel cake I think it should be a standing rule that if you go to a class and learn something really really good, you should have to share it here. I liked the idea of a recipe board, but honestly...we can post them here. If it fills us up quickly, we'll get board #V started up!
  • Yipee, I'm glad to hear that nomoredonuts4me survived the chopping block !!! I don't know what we would do without our token male insight!

Thanks for all the fish recipes. That will make this week a lot more interesting. I had intended on making Hvnlymusic receipe, but I was serving it with Roasted Asparagus (pg 169 on MRC cookbook). It called for olive oil, minced thyme, lemon juice, sea salt & ground black pepper. That was such a delicious taste that I carried it through to the fish (broid for about 4 min). The asparagus only took 15 min in a 425 oven. The guys loved it! In fact, my DH was still talking about it today. He was amazed because he doesn't like fish or asparagus (which he kept calling broccoli spears ).

oreoparent - Thanks for sharing about your mom. $$$ can always be re-made, health is priceless. I'll be praying for your situation.

4my2ltl1s - Hang in there. Some people just take a little longer to get into fat burning mode. Make sure to increase the water (it flushes fat) and increase your exercise. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Hopefully, your husband will be supportive when you tell him. Mine is an incredible supporter. He's noticing changes that I have missed myself - especially behavior. For ex; I was making a cake for a party, got chocolate on my finger, started to put it to my mouth and stopped half way and wipped in on a towel. He was so impressed. I was kicking myself for almost licking my finger, and he immediately was praising me for changing a behavior pattern. I commend you for being able to do this solo. I need a lot of support and encouragement. At least we all have each other!!!

jantdieting - The funnel cake is a MRC recipe (pg 196). I've read it, but couldn't figure out how to make it. Our center picks a couple recipes and has, what looks like, 1 food cooking class a month. They're also planning a food shopping field trip too We'll let you know how the recipe turns out.

sb4me - It sounds like we've been on program the same amount of time (started the Friday after Labor Day). I started a little slow, but am picking up speed. Have you tried changing up your foods a little? Also, more fish & less cheese may help.

Hi angie2122 - I'm glad you found us!

Good luck on all your Monday morning WI's. Hope to see good posts.
  • I'm looking for a good tartar sauce recipe. Any ideas? I tried a walden farms creamy bacon with dill pickle relish no sugar. I didn't like the taste. What about WF thousand Island with pickle relish. I can't stand the thought of fish w/o tartar sauce. Also a replacement for mayonaise for tuna or chicken salad.
    Thousand island?
    How often do you girls wi on your home scales?
  • Thanks 4 the welcome krazykk, angie2122, jantdieting, hvnlymzic, & shineon. I am looking to eat more fish this week, went and got a box full of tilapia and plan on using it for dinner most nights this week. I also bought a new workout dvd, to increase the intensity of my workout. I look forward to new tips and advice, I'll check back and keep in touch. My hours are crazy, I coach and keep late ones most of the time. Good luck at the wi's this week!!! I wi on Fri.
  • Angelhealer - I didn't like the Walden Farms Thousand Island dressing (actually don't like any of them - bleh) and my center says I can't use them anyway. Did your center say they're OK? I've heard others say they've got the OK from their centers. I'm confused why different centers say different things. I haven't found any tartar sauce substitute, so I just spice up my fish as much as possible. Is there a recipe in the cook book? I don't own one. Good luck in your search.