Weekly Chat Sept 24 - Sept 30

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • Ollie- Well, thank you very much for the compliment ... As far as the amount of time it took to lose it goes, it took me about 6 months. Now, some people might think that is a really long time to lose 20 pounds. However, I took it very slow and there were a couple of times I fell of the wagon, and there were obviously weeks that I didn't lose any at all. I'm a big fan of taking it slow. I've lost weight in the past and it was usually fast and unhealthy, that weight tends to come back plus some. I've maintained the 20 pound loss for about 4 months, and I'm just now starting to lose again. (mainly because I had no routine during the summer) I think it is really good to be realistic, and realize that your not going to see a loss every week, and don't get down about it when you don't. Just go at your own pase, If you think of it more as a lifestyle change than a diet, your body will automatically adjust and you are a lot less likely to gain it back in the future! I reccomend the book YOU on a Diet by Dr. Oz... It really helped me when I started out. I didn't go by the diet plan in it, but it taught me a lot about the foods I was eating and how my body would adjust, and what was happening when my body did adjust! I really reccomend it! Hope I helped a little!
  • Well, shoot. I met my walking buddy at the track and as soon as we got there she locked her keys in her car. By the time we got them out, we only had time to do one lap. I felt like I was just getting started.

Casey- Thanks. I saw that book at the library and have heard about it, but the name Oprah usually turns me off of things. I'll give a flip-de-doo tomorrow at work! I am a huge book nerd and have yet to get a book for this journey so I definitely appreciate the recommendation. And I dig the words of advice about being realistic---just still trying to figure out what IS realistic, so you helped.

Dreamer-Yes, Congrats!

Carly-I'll message you with my cig 411 as not to bore everyone here.

Goodnight everyone!
  • Wow I didn't expect to spark such a debate. It is very interest hearing everyones opinions on it. Making me think alot and like you said Freddy about reginional differences.

Well I survived another hot day at my school. I was cranky but now I am doing better. They had me leave work early because my head hurt so they were afriad the heat getting to me. It wasn't even that hot outside but the building was crazy. Then I cancelled my evening plans with the boy I was hanging out with a few weeks about because I was crabby and didn't think anyone should be subjected to me. My sister was giving me a hard time about it (she is friends with him) and I went off on her and said that she doesn't get to make me feel guilty about this. It is not my fault that I school is my number one priority. That is not right, and moreover I warned him that once school starts that it becomes my life. So he shouldn't be mad at me. So I'm going to lunch with him on Friday.

Anyways back to homework.
  • i caved to another piece today and ice cream...the kids were asleep but in all rationality i worked off last nights cake hehe and my daughter helps me do crunches by doing the mommy lay down no mommy sit up by pulling me up pushing me down, plus i think yesterday we had swing time(i push her and she tells me again again)
    i set my carmen electra stripperobics dvds aside thinking i might have to use one on friday for my dh's bday now if i could watch it without hearing my daughter ask to watch spongebob
    i found some old pics of methe other day from when i was a size 12(2001) and a 14(before i found out i was preggo in 2004) i know i am never gonna look that way again even if i work out(flabby belly from csection) oddly i noticed i wore some poorly fitted bras back then lol
  • The rest of the day was pretty much the same as the beginning (running late, stuck in traffic, boooring class) but I survived. And thanks for the PM Ollie- I can't PM back yet Anyways, I did pretty okay for such a stressful day. The closest thing to junk food was a veggie burger at Burger King (I was kidsitting.) No smokes either!

Remember- I think you made a good choice. I know the feeling and I did the exact same thing tonight- curled up with my computer and locked the door!
  • I'm so proud of myself! I've done well the past two days except for the pizza Tuesday night. The scale this morning said that I lost 2 more lbs!! Ok, that's way more worth it than giving into myself at the store yesterday and getting Ben and Jerry's Turtle Soup! Buy you know, I was thinking on the way home from the store yesterday. I don't know about you all but I have a really bad day and think "I deserve a bar of chocolate" or "I deserve to eat some ice cream" but really, that's not rewarding myself for getting through a bad day. That's more like punishing myself. It's only going to keep me that much farther from my goal....so that made it easier to say no to my husband last night when he said I could go get ice cream.
    Thin self: 1 Fat self: 0
  • Hey everyone. Well today is seeming like a crappy day already and it just started. I am at school till 5 PM (got here at 7 AM--longest day EVER!) and it is very humid and rainy. I have very curly crazy hair and last night I straightened it before bed thinking it would like nice for school today. WRONG! Well, it's so moist out my hair is doing all sorts of wacky things, and I can't do anything about it. I just have to live with it and walk around all day looking like a wild woman. Oh yeah.

RemeberHowToSmile-- I am a student too, I know all about long, dragging days at school. And it's very hot & humid today, sounds like my day today is going to be kind of like your day yesterday.

lissa9501--I have that Carmen Electra DVD too. I have only done it a few times but I liked it. Nothing too high-impact, ya know? I can't do it anymore because I am recovering from some serious injuries (broken hip joint and unknown knee injuries) and I just can't move like that. I'm kinda mad, I really like DVDs as an exercise alternative every once in a while.

HappyMomma05-- Awesome job on the weight loss! I really agree with what you said, I always used to think of food as a reward (still do sometimes) but in reality emotional eating is a completely self-destructive behavior.
  • Okay, my scale has been taking drugs, because it was toooooo high this morning!!!

I can say that I have done my crunches the last two days!!! I know some people on here think that you cannot spot reduce but I have been told otherwise, so that's what I'm trying to do.

When I look at me body in the mirror the only thing that really disappoints me is my tummy. If I could get it down smaller then I would be satisfied!!

Enough rambling from me, I hope you ladies have a wonderful day!
  • Thanks again for all the support. I just been so stressed the last week or so. But I am totally pumped because as I mentioned I am going on a mini vacation because of my cousins wedding (that falls over my brithday) to Vegas well I talked to my best friend who lives in Pheniox and her and her husband are going to drive to Vegas for one of the nights we are there. I'm so excited to get to see them again. Plus some of their other friends that I met when I was out there might come to. So that is what is going to get me though this crappy week.

Lissa - You will get there again just give it time. If it makes you feel better I don't ever remember being a size 16 pants and a large shirt but guess what I am now. Actually my 16s are getting lose and my suits are 14s. Also I want to point out that a size 14 is the average US womens size.

Carmnz - how is the no smoking going? I commend you for quitting while losing weight both are really hard to do alone let alone together (I'm not a smoker but I've watched my sister try and quit several times).

HappyMomma - good job! Isn't weird when you start choosing health food over junk food?

Chris - I hope you have a good day. I hate the super long school days that was me on Tuesday woke up at 7:30 and didn't get home until like 6:15.

Jana - I lose and gain the same 3 or 4 pounds every week. I assume that is normally and only count my Saturday weight ins because there is too much flucations because of things like water weight, time of month, ect. Give it time it will come off.
  • happy - lol re: the fatself 0 thinself 1! i totally know what you mean by thinking "i deserve X food beccause I'm tired, stressed, been good, happy etc" I do it too!

jusj - well my theory on spot reduction is - some say you cant but i might as well try ;-) its like the logic - (and im paraphrasing here) I might as well believe in God because if he exists I'm golden and if he doesn't I haven't lost anything. (hope im not ruining the quote for anyone....i just remember the first three words in french... Si Dieu existe..."

misschris - i have hair like that!!! i totally know what you mean! i *HATE* those women who can walk around in 80% humidity and look PERFECT! lol. my hair just will NOT do that!

i had another perfect day yesterday and I am excited for today!! i feel totally on track and motivated!
  • Rain here, too. I love the rain!

What's spot reduction?

Happy- It's not so much deserving junk food for me, but it works if I think of giving myself a treat. I don't know, it separates the two for me. Food I eat regularly and is good for me does not include ice cream. Yesterday I had--and has anyone else found these? these are fab!!--Hershey's 60 calorie dark chocolate stick. It was a little stick of dark chocolate (I like to call it anti-oxidants instead). It was a little stick of yummy anti-oxidant that was only 60 calories. Mmmmm.

Good day. Started it off with Leslie Sansom's 4 Fast Miles DvD. She's only MILDLY annoying, and produces a lot of sweat.

Later Gators.
  • Remember: it is weird how the longer you fill yourself with healthy food, that junk no longer appeals. I remember when I did Sugarbusters when I was 19 and lost 30lbs that I couldn't stand sweetend "treats" fruit was sweet enough for me.

Ollie: Oooo I love those things! I also like to indulge in a square of the Lindt 70% cocoa bars. That is probably my favorite chocolate ever. I've tried the 80% though and didn't like it. too bitter.
  • Ollie - Spot reduction is when you do exercise geared towards making one part of the body reduce in size.

HappyMomma - I know, one day over the summer I was shopping and got absolutly p***** off becasue they did not have the type of rice cakes I wanted and something else that was considered a health food. My sister started laughing hesterically. Then I realized how funny the situtation was that my biggest concern grocery wise was food that is considered health food.
  • Remember- I understand what ur saying about skipping dinner, but it's hard for me when I see the scale creep up. I get scared for dear life and take drastic measures because I never, ever, ever want to be over 200lbs again!!! I really need to get a consistent workout plan and never stop doing it. I just can't find one that I don't get bored of. My passion is dancing, I used to dance in high school but of course that has all stopped after my weight gain. I'm currently looking for a private instructor but since 'dancing with the stars' has come back on I'm really on my search harder now.
  • Jusj - I know you said you are a student have you looked around your school to see what type of programs they offer. I know my undergrad had a varity of dance clubs that would hold lessons they also offered classes in ballroom dance. Just a suggestion until you can find a private instructor. Also you might want to see if you school offers visits to a nutritionalist, again my undergrad did. I only went at the very end but it was somewhat helpful, we talked about what I should change in my diet, what type of diet I should follow, types of exercises that would be effective. Just some suggestions.