What is the lastest time you exercise?

• It seems there is a certain point in the evening where if I exercise, I am never going to get to sleep at a decent hour. Does this happen to anyone else? What is a good cutoff time? I would like to do a run in the AM and a walk after dinner, but I don't want to be up late at night!

Any suggestions?
  • I really exercise any time I feel like it. The only thing I won't do is exercise when it's dark - and that's mainly because I live in a neighbourhood that's best described as "interesting".

It's about finding what time suits you best - I usually work early shifts, so it's easier for me to exercise after I finish work rather than getting out the house at ludicrously early o'clock. From what you're saying, exercising in the evening isn't the best thing for you - if you can why not try exercising in the morning for a couple of weeks and seeing how you feel about that.

Good luck!
  • Last year when I was doing curves I found that doing it before dinner made me feel great. I then had energy to make dinner and do what needed to be done before unwinding at night.
    Judy
  • I will exercise as late as 11:30 pm if I can't find any other time to get it in. Like tonight - I just finished I guess you can say I'm very commited at this time - I really want to lose this weight!
  • I don't like to go running in the evening - I used to belong to a running club and found I had trouble sleeping after the Wednesday night runs. But I will walk after supper sometimes (with the dog/s) and occasionally use the exercise bike watching TV. Generally I like to exercise in the mornings. Now that all the boys are in school I do it after taking them there.

Jax
  • Ooooh - this is me all over... after I exercise, I feel rather 'pumped up' () and couldn't sleep within three hours if I tried - plus, I shower after, which perks me up more!

I ensure I don't run after dinner, but I will do my weights later, so long as I am done by 8pm.

Works for me

Heather
  • it is very individual

running I need at least 4 hours and even then I dont sleep well

Even yoga I need about 2 hours
  • I find I can exercise, shower, and then immediately sleep. I try to exercise in the morning because it fits in with my schedule better, there is less overhead time with showers and changes of clothes, and in the summer here it gets too hot to exercise outside after about 9 a.m. But if I need to work out in the evening, even right before bed, I will.

Anne
  • I guess I was asking for my 2nd 30 minutes of the day, I should have clarified. i already work out in the mornings but am wanting to add in a walk sometime later. I find if I walk before dinner, I don't get hungry until late which is awful for my metabolism, and if I walk too late I can't get to sleep because I'm all pumped up. So what's a girl to do? LOL.

I think the answer is eat at 5:30 then walk or swim or whatever I am going to be doing. I think if I can have at least 4 or 5 hours before bed I should be ok. I just wasn't sure if there was like a rule of thumb or if it was more individual. Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • It must be completely individual, because I spent an hour on the elliptical at the gym last night, finished at 9:00, and by 10:30 I was sleeping like a baby. Usually I have a terrible time getting to sleep and staying that way, but last night I didn't wake up once. I guess I should start exercising late in the day more often!
  • I walked from 7-7:40 last night and was tired around 11 so I guess that was okay.