Do they think we're stupid????

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I went to the grocery store during lunch and got some grapes, sprite zero and some other things that were NOT for me, I promise (cokes and Little debbie cakes) In th eproduce section I noticed some italian blend lettuce marked down to .99 so I got it. Then I saw a veggie pack also .99. It came with celery, broccoli and carrot sticks. It also had a mini ranch veggie dip, so I was thinking its so little (1 oz) so its probably ok......there was a note on the carton that says call the 800 number for nutritional info. I called and about fell on the floor when they told me there's 140 calories and 14 GRAMS OF FAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I told the lady it was going in the trash!!! So Im going to have to put it in someone elses trash can b/c if I put it in mine at my desk I will surely get it back out. Im just going to dip it in my cottage cheese.

Just wanted to warn some people about the "healthy" foods.
  • Goodness! That's insane!
  • Oh it kills me to look at salad dressing labels. You would think it wouldn't be that fattening, but No......Hey, heres a great recipe for fat free vegetable dip:

One container ff sour cream
    one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
    mix and eat, yummy!
  • Mug - that is exactly what I use for dipping veggies and it's awesome.
  • good for you for calling the number!! i think most people would just rationalize a number they are comfortable with and eat it, then go on with thier day (all the while wondering why they are not losing as much weight as they would like! LOL )

• Ya know what, I do think that they think we're not so bright. But the absolute nerve of them to give an 800 number on the package and not actually list it there. They're probably thinking most people won't even bother.

But salad dressing has always been known to be loaded with fat. It's usually made with oil or mayonaise - 100% fat. I usually use a little balsamic vinegar to dress my salads. Or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Virtually no calories for either of them.
  • Yeah, ranch dressing is notoriously high in fat/calories. Unless it is clearly labeled "fat free," "low fat," or "low calorie" I assume the worst.
  • Just to add, I do think it's AWESOME that you called. So many people don't call, don't think, don't read labels, don't want to know - I was one of those people. We all have to be personally vigilant, companies are in this to make money, not to take care of you or look out for you!!

Packaging full fat ranch dressing with veggies is the same business mentality that creates an 800 calorie salad at a fast food place, people think "salad" and just go with it, thinking they are doing a good thing for themselves.
  • Quote:
    Packaging full fat ranch dressing with veggies is the same business mentality that creates an 800 calorie salad at a fast food place, people think "salad" and just go with it, thinking they are doing a good thing for themselves.
    Except if you think that someone who wants to eat real food (vegetables) won't want to combine it with frankenfood (non-fat ranch dressing. Exactly what's in that stuff, anyway?).

140 calories for the whole blob of dip/dressing sounds pretty okay to me, actually.
  • Yeah, it's not that bad--unless you're really tight on your calorie allotment and don't realize it's that much...

I like full fat dressings, but these days I measure it out. In the past I was clueless about reality! So, if I feel like spending 90 cals on a nice olive oil dressing, I work it into my plan. The only problem is that I'm also trying to keep fat to 30% of my calories... so I need to think about that, too.

Jay
  • Good job calling !!!! I annoy anyone who shops with me now because I read EVERYTHING - compare brand to brand etc.

That ranch with FF sour cream sounds awesome !!!! Have to try that this weekend. Laughing Cow lite cheese rocks too - on lowfat triscuits or with carrots, celery etc.
  • The calories wasnt that big of a deal is was the 14 g of fat that got me. I try to eat around 10 - 15 g per day and that would have really blown me out of the water. Im trying to be very conscientious about what I eat b/c my friend decided to start dieting and although we both started at 220 trying to lose she is now 195 after 1.5 months and I am still 215. She hardly eats any fat.

I'll try that recipe for the dip, thanks!
  • OMG OUTRAGEOUS!

Mug- Gonna get some of that!
  • Don't be afraid to eat fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does.
  • I love the way you used someone else's trash bin. I would have gotten it out too!