Introduction - Karen

• I posted this in the main forum, but I thought since I was going to do the South Beach Diet that I may should post my intro here, too. So, here goes:

Hi! I am Karen and I live in Virginia. I have lost 120 pounds since January 2006. I need to lose 28 more to reach my goal. I hit a plateau around January 2007 and have been sitting at 178 pounds since. I have discovered I am really great at maintaining, but I need to get this last 28 pounds off of me. So, I decided to try the South Beach plan so that I can maximize my protein and minimize my carb intake better. I know I also need to up the exercise. I have really gotten lax on that, as well. With fall approaching, it seems like a good time of year to get a fresh start on my weight loss.

A little about me ... I am married to my high school sweetheart, and we have one grown daughter who is married. We don't have any grandbabies, but we do have a Bichon Frise, who is like a baby. I am an avid quilter and into scrapbooking, cross-stitching, interior design, sewing, reading, gardening, and jewelry-making.

I have been self-employed for 15 years, working as a freelance career services professional. It's a very rewarding career and I get to work from home, which is the best!!!

I am looking forward to making new friends here and gaining the support I need to get these extra pounds off!
  • from one Karen to another....
  • Karen and congratulations on your loss so far. Remember that South Beach is a GOOD carb, not a LOW carb lifestyle so be sure to get enough carbs, particularly if you are doing Phase I. Please join us on the daily chat and in the Phase I thread.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome messages ...

My Bichon is Heidi. Bella was a name on my list, but hubby scratched it out. Of all the names we both put on the list, Heidi was the only one we agreed on! Go figure! We both love the name Heidi. We actually chose that name because we had to travel way into the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains to get her. It reminded us of the storybook character Heidi, who lived in the mountains. So, the name was very befitting. She is a year old and a spoiled rotten ham!
  • Karen, and on losing all that weight! I look forward to hearing all your tricks and tips for weight loss.
  • Hi Karen, What an accomplishment you've achieved. How did you get motivated to lose those excess pounds already reduced? Can you pull whatever motivators you used and activate them again in your life?

I have Bichons too ... three 'chons, plus we foster for Bichon Rescue. Golly we love these munchkins!

Do you know about the Bichon Bash held each fall in upper east Tennesee? Almost 300 Bichons partying for the weekend of October 6 - 7. I'ts a hoot and LOTS of fun. Great way to focus on something other than food! It's
    www.bichonbash-tn.com if you're interested in going. Lots of women working to be healthier will be there!

I wish for you a re-energizing of focus toward reaching your goal weight!

'Joyous' Gaile Avent
    Bichon Frise Information Station
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com
  • Karen

on your weight loss! That's awesome!

Where in Virginia are you? We have property about 25 miles South of Roanoke and are here for the summer.
  • to the Beach, Karen!
  • Welcome to the beach. Congrats on the loss so far.
  • Quote: Karen

on your weight loss! That's awesome!

Where in Virginia are you? We have property about 25 miles South of Roanoke and are here for the summer.
    I am in Danville ... are you around Smith Mountain? That's a nice summer vacation place on the lake. I am about 45 minutes from Smith Mountain and 1-1/2 hours southeast of Roanoke.
  • Quote: Hi Karen, What an accomplishment you've achieved. How did you get motivated to lose those excess pounds already reduced? Can you pull whatever motivators you used and activate them again in your life?

I have Bichons too ... three 'chons, plus we foster for Bichon Rescue. Golly we love these munchkins!

Do you know about the Bichon Bash held each fall in upper east Tennesee? Almost 300 Bichons partying for the weekend of October 6 - 7. I'ts a hoot and LOTS of fun. Great way to focus on something other than food! It's
    www.bichonbash-tn.com if you're interested in going. Lots of women working to be healthier will be there!

I wish for you a re-energizing of focus toward reaching your goal weight!

'Joyous' Gaile Avent
    Bichon Frise Information Station
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com
    I know you from one of my Bichon discussion groups! What a small world!
  • Quote: I am in Danville ... are you around Smith Mountain? That's a nice summer vacation place on the lake. I am about 45 minutes from Smith Mountain and 1-1/2 hours southeast of Roanoke.
    We're not too far from you... we have property about 6 miles west of Rocky Mount. Our niece lives on the lake, so I know exactly where you are talking about... Small world...
  • Wow, Karen, what an inspiration you are! to our little corner of the world! I lost 120+ pounds on SBD back in 2005, maintained really well for another year and a half (though I had another 25 to lose), and recently gained about 40 pounds (long story). I'm starting over and finally seeing weightloss again, which is SO rewarding. Can't wait until we're both at goal...and then we know already that maintenance will be easy!

I agree with you about exercise. Among the many reasons why I ended up gaining, getting off my normal exercise routine was one of them. I'm back exercising again, doing lots of cardio and getting it in four times a week, and even though it's hard to get back into the groove, I'm loving the results (and even liking the feeling after working out, sometimes! ). You might find the exercise goals in the forum helpful in motivating you to exercise more. Plus, if you're new to 3FC as well as SBD, you can't find more motivation than the moderators of the Exercise forum give...they are fabulous!!!

I love crafts too...especially scrapbooking and quilting. And I'd love to have a Bichon...but we ended up adopting a corgi mix because she stole our hearts first. Sadly, she passed away earlier this year and we still miss her, but DH isn't ready for another dog yet. I hope when he is, we can look into Bichons again...we'd love to rescue one!