Tired of your food?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • I will eat the same thing for several days/weeks/months in a row till one day I've just had enough. I did that with yoghurt earlier in the year and with a certain brand of breakfast cereal.

Unfortunately, I don't get sick of eating cheese. Losing weight would be so much easier if I could...
  • Quote: Heh, whatever you want. Will the Breakfast Police arrest you if you eat non-breakfast foods? Have a turkey sandwich or something
    Hehe. My colleagues and friends often find me 'disgusting' because I happen to eat jam, eggs, tuna or a nice little steak in the morning at times. I like my cereals like almost anyone else, and sometimes use breakfast to eat bread or butter (else I just don't eat any, which isn't good either), but when I'm hungry, I'm hungry, and anything will do the trick.

I'm not sure where that cultural bias of having certain foods only for breakfast comes from. Does anyone know?
  • I find lifes too short to eat loads of fruit/vegetables when I can just calorie count umm...not junk food exactly, but not fruit/veggies either!

On the other hand, my life will certainly be shorter if I don't eat any good stuff. My general rule is that I try to fit 3 portions at least of fruit/veg in everyday, the rest of it is...who knows? Some days its wildly unhealthy. At least I don't starve or binge atm.

Maybe one day 5 a day will be a goal I'll be able to face

I'm an EX healthfreak, I used to live off rabbit food

emily
    xxx
  • That's right! There are no breakfast police! Sometimes I like to have a protein drink (I make them myself) or cottage cheese or something like that for breakfast.

I once was on a "diet" that called for eggwhite omelets and lots of turkey. I never could stand egg whites by themselves, and frankly, there is no point is tossing out the yolk of eggs. I eat whole eggs when I want them. As for the turkey, I still can't stand it.

Jay
  • I keep with fruits and veggies that are in season (butternut squash, here I come!) and that pretty much keeps me from getting bored with those!
  • Quote: Got completely burned out on yogurt after eating it nearly every day for 2 years.
    Happened to me last year!

Quote: I did tire of egg white omlettes a few months ago and gave them up entirely.
    Ditto

Quote: I OD'd on broccoli not too long ago. I loved it and ate a ton of it until one day I took a bite and gagged. It was months before I could face it again!
    Wow, sam here! I love healthy foods, don;t get me wrong, but when my cooking abilities limit the ingredients, I tend to use the same ingredients over and over again, thus limiting variety. Yup, yogurt, egg whites, broccoli, these were items I always abused, hehehe.

Quote: Heh, whatever you want. Will the Breakfast Police arrest you if you eat non-breakfast foods? Have a turkey sandwich or something
    That just makes me want to have roasted veggies in the morning.
  • Quote: I find lifes too short to eat loads of fruit/vegetables when I can just calorie count umm...not junk food exactly, but not fruit/veggies either!

On the other hand, my life will certainly be shorter if I don't eat any good stuff. My general rule is that I try to fit 3 portions at least of fruit/veg in everyday, the rest of it is...who knows? Some days its wildly unhealthy. At least I don't starve or binge atm.

Maybe one day 5 a day will be a goal I'll be able to face

I'm an EX healthfreak, I used to live off rabbit food
    WOW. You sound just like me. I used to live off rabbit pellets too. Npwadays, I find it more fitting to eat something I really want so as long as it's not like I eat it everyday and that the calorie count falls within range. I find that after a satisifying meal, its much easier to resist anything after it so as long as it was satisfying. However, if I ate a salad that I really wasn't in the mood for, and provided it was unsatisfying, I have a higher chance of eating junk later on!
  • Ha! Yogurt and broccoli. Those are two things I am sick of, too.
  • I did a lot of Lean Cuisine at the beginning. I love it when they are $2 apiece.

I totally agree with the philosopy of eating things I like. Usually I like everything except maybe okra .

Shy Moment, I totally understand about plums. That is exactly how I am feeling about tomatoes right now. Last weekend, we visited family and I sat outside and ate tomatoes right out of their garden. Like the next day, I didn't want to see another tomato. Ever.
  • I do the same thing - eat too many carrot & celery sticks for lunch, and bananas for breakfast, and all the sudden get sick of them. Go to the grocery store and try some new veggies, or try cooked instead of raw (frozen veggies can be microwaved without any added fat, etc.), or vegetable soup or something like that. Just switch it up a little bit.
  • I tend to rotate types of vegetables every week or so, so I don't get sick of them: a variety of salads made from a bag of Romaine, vegetables marinated in balsamic vinegar and roasted, steamed vegetables, a mix of raw vegetables dipped in hummus, vegetable soup, etc.

I've had sauteed vegetables for breakfast before!

freiamaya - other breakfast protein ideas: tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt/cheese/milk has some protein, lean ham.
  • I get this with the seasonal stuff growing around here and in the garden, not quite so much with the foods I prepare, though I remember enjoying salads quite a bit when I began this and then I decided I hated making salads for myself!

People often ask me how long I pick the asparagus in the spring. The answer is, "Until I get sick of it," which, interestingly enough, pretty well corresponds with the month or so you're recommended to pick for. I've even gotten sick of sweet corn in July/August! Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to get sick of sweet corn this year as it didn't do too well—I only had it 3-4 times.

I'm currently sick of summer squash and sadly, running out of gas on gorgeous heirloom tomatoes. Pretty tired of cantaloupe too! Canning and freezing is reducing the guilt somewhat. I froze several 3-cup bags of shredded zucchini, and some green beans and carrots so far. Canned salsa, sandwich pickles, and pickled beets. Going to freeze the pasta sauce I like from the Moosewood cookbook—I use it in lasagna as well.

I still feel gulity though, as my dad talks about how he was satisfied with squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots for supper. I know when I tried that about a month ago when everything began being in season that it threw me out of whack and I decided I felt a lot better still having a protein and some whole grains with my meals.
  • Re: the Breakfast Police --
    I saw a show where a woman who had lost a phenomenal amount of weight did so by reversing her meals. She got up at 5am, made breakfast for everyone (cereal, toast, etc.) and made herself DINNER (salmon, veggies, rice, the whole nine yards). For lunch she had lunch. And for dinner, she had juice and toast!
    While it really worked for her, her DH said that his biggest problem with this routine was that he couldn't take her out to dinner anymore, and that they hadn't enjoyed dinner out with friends for the past two years.
    Hey, whatever works!!!
  • Quote: Same way! It's so hard for me cause I don't cook and I don't like a lot of foods (cannot stand lettuce, tomatoes, most veggies.) So I try to eat a lot of take out food that's considered healthy. For example, I probably had the Grilled McChicken sandwich 5 times this week. Always with a green bean side dish, sometimes carrots (from a can of course).
    You should nix the McChickens. I know McDs considers them healthy, but that's a very broad overstatement. If you don't like cooking (which I don't either), try getting frozen grilled chicken breasts or strips. You can heat them up in the microwave strait out of the freezer. And you could try frozen veggies for your carrots and green beans to reduce the sodium and give you more of the nutrients.

But even if you're not a veggie eater, or a cook, there's really a lot out there. I just had ham and swiss on a low carb tortilla with some strawberries. You can have a lowfat or even fat free cottage cheese, frozen turkey burgers (I fix mine on the grill, but you CAN do them in the microwave) on the low carb wraps instead of a hamburger, I also nuke WW or South Beach or Lean Cusine meals when in a rush. I use the lower calorie meals such as these to get in my pizza fixes.

If you really really gotta get fast food though, McDs may be one of the worst places to get it. I will usually go to Wendys if I need fast food. But I do prefer a sit down meal in a real restaurant.
  • Quote: You should nix the McChickens. I know McDs considers them healthy, but that's a very broad overstatement. If you don't like cooking (which I don't either), try getting frozen grilled chicken breasts or strips. You can heat them up in the microwave strait out of the freezer. And you could try frozen veggies for your carrots and green beans to reduce the sodium and give you more of the nutrients.

But even if you're not a veggie eater, or a cook, there's really a lot out there. I just had ham and swiss on a low carb tortilla with some strawberries. You can have a lowfat or even fat free cottage cheese, frozen turkey burgers (I fix mine on the grill, but you CAN do them in the microwave) on the low carb wraps instead of a hamburger, I also nuke WW or South Beach or Lean Cusine meals when in a rush. I use the lower calorie meals such as these to get in my pizza fixes.

If you really really gotta get fast food though, McDs may be one of the worst places to get it. I will usually go to Wendys if I need fast food. But I do prefer a sit down meal in a real restaurant.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into that. I never knew you could buy frozen chicken breasts, I thought they only came in bloody packages. BTW, I'm from West Virginia too.