Where do you store your nuts?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Just saw in this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/perso...eat/index.html

that nuts should be stored in your refrigerator so they don't oxidize (scroll down to #5). Who knew?!
  • I keep mine in the freezer. Nuts have a lot of fat, so to keep them fresh that is where I store them.
    Not to mention it keeps me from just chowing down on them!

Cashews are my favorite nut.
  • Hehehe, don't mind me, but I definitely thought of the good dirty answer to this question first.

Personally, I love cashews and keep them in my drawer at work. I only ever eat a few at a time, when I need something salty. Mine probably end up oxidized or whatever, but they still taste good.
  • Quote: Just saw in this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/perso...eat/index.html

that nuts should be stored in your refrigerator so they don't oxidize (scroll down to #5). Who knew?!
    Who knew? I did

I have been telling people that nuts and seeds (as should oils) are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer for years.

I store mine in the freezer.
  • I'm just surprised it doesn't tell you that on the packaging! What about natural PB that you have to stir up? I know putting it in the fridge keeps it stiff, but then its almost un-spreadable. I just keep it in the cupboard.
  • I've always kept my peanut butter in the fridge (even natural). But as for storing nuts, well, I don't! I really just can't have nuts in the house. If I do have them around, they aren't around for very long , so no worries about oxidation.
  • Over the years I have found it best to keep them in my pan.. OH! Those nuts

Peanuts usually get eaten quickly ~ so the Planters jar

Almonds and walnuts always in the freezer ~ lost too many rancid ones in the past
  • Unfortunately, I'm storing quite a few in my thighs at the moment....
  • You know, I'm not sure I understand why nuts are supposed to be refrigerated. When you purchase them, they're always in sealed bags on shelves. Wouldn't it be the same to put them in a sealed container and back in the cupboard after opening?

I don't worry much about them going rancid, either. They go pretty quickly around here.
  • Quote: You know, I'm not sure I understand why nuts are supposed to be refrigerated.
    The concern is that the oils in nuts (and many other foods) can oxidize, rendering them rancid and losing much of the health benefits they naturally possess.
  • Quote: The concern is that the oils in nuts (and many other foods) can oxidize, rendering them rancid and losing much of the health benefits they naturally possess.
    But then, why wouldn't they be sold refrigerated? They assume stores don't keep them on the shelf long enough to go bad?
  • Quote: But then, why wouldn't they be sold refrigerated? They assume stores don't keep them on the shelf long enough to go bad?
    I think because they are vacuum sealed.
  • We have had, as I said, nuts go rancid....but seriously, it has been after we had them for quite a while.
  • I store them in my cheeks
  • LOVE IT