Anyone have any idea what I can do with A bunch of bananas?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have bananas that are ready to go bad if I don't do anything with them soon. Any ideas?
  • Peel them and cut them up into either leftover dishes or plastic baggies and then freeze them. They're great for smoothies (frozen or thawed) or to mix into plain yogurt (thawed). I'm sure you could use them in other recipes as well. They are a lot sweeter if they are very ripe before you freeze them.
  • I do this with any fruit that is on the edge of going bad. If my strawberries start to get to the point where I need to eat them or they will go bad, I freeze them and use them in smoothies. I do this with bananas, strawberries, raspberries and nectarines or peaches. Must peel and slice the bananas, nectarines and peaches first.
  • Yup, I freeze mine too. I cut them in half and then freeze them. That way if I make a smoothie it's easy to portion or if I'm making a recipe I just pull out what I need and let it thaw. Banana puree is great in baked goods as a substitute for some of the fat (like applesauce) just make sure the flavor blends with the rest of the recipe.
  • Freeze them....
    or makes lots and lots of PB and Banana sandwhiches My favourite. MMMMMM.
  • Lol
  • Mash them, freeze them & save them for baking recipes that use mashed bananas or applesauce in place of some of the fat.
  • I just peel and freeze them for smoothies. Frozen bananas taste like frozen yogurt- Yum!
  • I peel them, cut them in large chunks and freeze them in a ziploc bag (I spread them out inside the bag so that they're not touching - so they don't freeze in a large clump). Then when they're frozen I squeeze out the extra air in the bag and put them back in the freezer.

I'll use them for smoothies. Because I count calories using an exchange plan, I cut the bananas into equal-sized chunks so I know how many (3) chunks = 1/2 a banana (1 fruit serving).
  • Melt one ounce of dark chocolate and dip banana pieces or strawberries. 2 pts

I freeze them for adding to smoothies as well.

Also I make my own version of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey -- in a food processor blend one frozen banana, add one ounce of dark chocolate and 2tablespoons of walnuts. 5 pts but oh so worth it. Makes a cup or more. The real thing is 8 pts for a measly 1/2 cup.
  • I'd bake a Banana Cake for the Family, and chunk the rest up for smoothies I make mine, with 1/2 cup homemade yogurt (made with skim milk), banana, 1 tbs peanut butter, some ice cubes, 1/2 cup skim milk to get the blender going. It's yummy! And all my co-worker are envious
  • Quote: Also I make my own version of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey -- in a food processor blend one frozen banana, add one ounce of dark chocolate and 2tablespoons of walnuts. 5 pts but oh so worth it. Makes a cup or more. The real thing is 8 pts for a measly 1/2 cup.
    Thanks for the wonderful idea!
  • If you garden, freeze them, and dig a hole, put in banana, add an inch of soil and then plant peppers or tomatoes! They love the potassium!
  • Kashi Fiber Friendly (1 point) Muffins

Recipe is available at their website.
  • I grow strawberries. I slice them and freeze them in small packages.
    Almost every evening I take out a package and mix it with a sliced banana. Or I make a smoothie.

Bananas and strawberries both contain melatonin...that's a hormone that helps you sleep.

I always eat them at night before I go to bed. Helps me fall asleep fast.