SUGAR BUSTERS JAN/FEB/MARCH 2002 First Quarter Recipe Board

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • I remember my Mom making a dish like this when I was a kid-asked her to find the recipe, but found this one on the web which sounds about the same

CLAM-FILLED LASAGNA ROLLS

8 WW lasagna noodles- cooked
    1 15 oz. ricotta cheese
    1 6-1/2 oz. drained clams
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 26 oz. sf meatless spaghetti sauce
    1 egg beaten
    1 tbsp. chopped parsley

12" x 7" baking dish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine reserved clam liquid and spaghetti sauce. Reserving 1 cup sauce, spoon remainder equally into baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine clams, ricotta, Parmesan, egg and parsley mix well. Spread equal portions on lasagna strips roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place seam-side down in pan. Top with remaining sauce cover. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until hot. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
  • Lemon Cheesecake cups
    one box SF lemon jello mix
    16 oz light creme cheese
    1/2 cup agave (or 2/3 cup splenda)

--cube creme cheese and set aside
    --disolve SF jello in one cup boiling water
    --Add cubed creme cheese and beat until the cheese is melted
    --Add the sweetner and beat until very smooth
    --pour into a paper-lined mini-muffin tin-and chill very well
    --Remove from muffin tins and store in a covered container in the fridge.
    --should make around 30.

These are incredible! I only had a mini-mini-muffin tin so I poured some of the mixture into individual dessert dishes--works that way too. With the light creme cheese and the agave, I figure they can't be too bad. This is something that can be made for friends and they don't even have to know (and won't be able to tell) it's "diet" food.

Susan
  • OATMEAL COOKIES

1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    ½ cup agave syrup
    ½ tsp vanilla
    1 egg
    6 tbsp butter, softened
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp nutmeg

Heat oven to 325F. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Cream butter and agave together. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix. Add chopped walnuts. Drop cookies by teaspoon on a greased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown.

Optional additions: 1/4 cup sunflower seeds; 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots or prunes.

I found the original recipe for these cookies on the web but changed a couple of things to make it sb legal. Then reduced the amount of butter and increased the amount of flour to get it to my satisfaction. The last ones I made were really yummy.
  • Deb's Fat Free Oatmeal Cookies
    I took Debbie's recipe and tweaked it a bit. ENJOY!

Oatmeal Cookies (fat free)

¼ cup apple butter
    2 tbsp apple sauce
    ½ cup agave
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup WWSGF
    ½ cup walnuts, chopped (or almonds, or whatever you like)

Mix apple butter, apple sauce, agave, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, baking powder and nuts. Then add the flour, then the oatmeal. Spray the pan with non-fat cooking spray, use 1 TBSP measuring spoon to make cute little cookies. They will slide out quite nicely. Put your cookies in a preheated oven at 325F, bake until done - about 10 to 12 min. If you bake them too long, they will be hard, if you bake them less, they will be gooey inside.

This recipe makes 24 cookies.
  • LC Pound Cake
    You need:
    4 eggs, separated
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon stevia (or sweetener to taste)
    2/3 cup Protein Powder vanilla or French vanilla
    1/4 cup soy flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    butter
    nutmeg

Separate eggs and beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Beat egg yolks, butter, lemon zest, vanilla and stevia in another bowl.

Gently fold egg mixture under egg whites and then fold under the dry ingredients.

Pour mixture in buttered non-stick bread loaf pan and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in preheated oven at 350 °F for 45 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. One loaf = 12 slices

Each piece of cake has .48 carbs but that probably depends on the type of powders you are using.

BOB
  • Flourless Chocolate Cake
    Bete Noire
    (Chocolate Decadence)
    DO NOT be disheartened about the length of the instructions. THIS IS EASY. Read through the instructions all the way to make sure you know what you are going to have to do. Prep the pan, and turn the cake out exactly as written and it will work perfectly.

The following is the real recipe for a classic French flourless chocolate cake. It is amazingly easy, and almost foolproof. Make sure to use unsalted butter and extra large eggs. The only change to make it Atkins friendly is replacing the sugar for Splenda. Also watch the note later about the batter breaking when making it Atkins Friendly. The cake makes 12 good sized portions and is very, very, rich & filling. I guestimated the Carbs at well below 10.

You will need:

A single 9” round layer cake pan
    Circle of wax or parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan
    A large roasting or backing pan that the cake pan can sit inside of
    Enough hot (not boiling) water to make a water bath in the larger panas a water bath for the

Ingredients

½ Cup Water
    1 1/3 cup sugar (REPLACE WITH EQUAL AMOUNT OF SPLENDA)
    8 oz. Unsweetened chocolate chopped
    4 oz. Semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
    1 cup UNSALTED butter at room temperature cut into pieces
    5 EXTRA LARGE eggs at room temperature

Position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9” layer cake pan. Line the bottom with a circle of parchment or wax paper cut to fit precisely butter the paper as well. Place the pan inside a backing pan large enough so the sides of the two pans do not touch.

Place the water and 1 cup of the sugar (Splenda) in a 1 ½ quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil stirring until the sugar/splenda dissolves completely. Turn off the heat, add both chocolates and stir until completely melted (may have to put it back over the heat for a bit when using splenda). Add the butter, piece by piece stirring until melted and thoroughly incorporated (cut the butter into many small pieces, 12-15 and add a couple at a time. Works better. Again, may have to add a little heat using splenda).

Place the eggs and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar/splenda in a bowl. Using a whisk or electric mixer set on medium speed, beat until slightly thickened, just a few minutes. Using a rubber spatula fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until well combined

NOTE: When making this with splenda, the batter at this point has a tendency to break. That means the melted butter starts to separate out and you see these oily blobs appearing around the edge of the bowl and across the surface. Use the beaters to mix them back together and get it into the oven as quickly as possible You may want to prep the eggs first. It is easier to add the chocolate as soon as you get it melted, and the warmer the batter is, the less chance there is of its breaking.

Pour and scrape batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Put the cake pan into the larger pan and place in the oven. Pour hot water into the outer pan until it comes about ½ “ up the sides of the cake pan.

Bake until the cake looks dry but is not firm, 30 minutes. Remove the cake pan from the oven (be careful not to scald yourself with the hot water or get any on the cake). Immediately cover the top of the cake with a sheet of plastic wrap. Invert onto a flat plate. Remove the pan and the parchment/wax paper. Put your serving plate on the bottom of the cake, flip it over and remove the top plate and the plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature.

BOB
  • Lc Sweet Crunchy Snack
    When you are craving that little something sweet and crunchy, try this.

1 egg white
    1 tbls water
    mix and use to coat 1# pecans or walnuts
    sprinkle with
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    Butter a shallow pan and bake for 30 min @ 300, stirring several times.
    You egg white, splenda and butter are so small in comparison to your nuts used that the nutrition value would be whichever nuts you use. Store in plastic container for when the munchies hit!!

BOB
  • This recipe was sent via a newsletter from GHF, sounded decent enough to pass along!

Basil Shrimp with Chilies

Makes: 8 servings

Ingredients:

2 cups brown rice, cooked
    1 teaspoon peanut oil (i'd use olive, personally)
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    3 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed, sliced
    1 pound shrimp
    2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar (you can use substitute equvialent to)
    4 green onions, chopped
    2 cups fresh basil, chopped

Directions: Prepare rice according to package directions. Heat oil, 2 tablespoons stock, garlic and jalapenos in a wok over high heat for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute. Add soy sauce, sugar, remaining stock and green onion and bring to a boil; stir in the basil and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve over rice.

Note: Do not remove jalepeno seeds without gloves or using a utensil-seed will burn skin.

Nutritional Information: Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 170 Fat: 3 g Cholesterol: 170 mg Protein: 25 g Carbohydrates: 9 g Fiber: 1.5 g Sodium: 770 mg
  • Vesna's Protein Pancakes
    I made up this recipe to get more protein from non-meat sources. It is completely vegetarian, though not vegan.

1 EGG
    1/2 Cup Protein Powder (chocolade flavor)
    1/2 Cup Flour
    1 Cup 2% Milk
    2 tsp Agave Nectar
    1/4 tsp Sea Salt

This RECIPE makes:
    6 pancakes

PROTEIN - 55g 37% 219 cal
    FAT - 14g 21% 124 cal
    CARBS - 69g 42% 250
    Fiber - 6g

TOTAL CALS: 599

Check below for Brand Names

Mix together in a medium size bowl, until uniform in consistency. Preheat a non-stick or your favorite pancake pan. You may want to grease your pan with a bit of oil. I like to use non-stick so I don't have to use much oil.
    If you know how to make pancakes, skip the explanation.
    Use a ladle and drop a ladle full of mixture onto preheated pan. Tip the pan around, so the mixture spills in a large circle (creppe looking). Bake until the top is solid, or it doesn't move. Use a spatula to turn the pancake around and bake on the other side.

The Pancakes will be dark brown in color.

This is a basic recipe. You can add vanilla, chocolate powder, whatever flavor you like, to it.

I eat my pancakes with unsweatened apple sauce, or use whatever is safe.

You could probably even lower your fat if you used egg beaters instead of the egg, but then I can't guarantee how the pancakes will turn out, since I haven't tried that option

The brand Names are:
    Eggs (Golden Fleece Large Organic Brown)
    Protein Powder (Naturade Veg Protein Booster, Chocolate flavor)
    Milk (Organic Valley)
    Flour (Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour)
  • CHICKEN & MUSHROOMS

*3 chicken fillets, sliced lengthways and ponded slightly to look like
    scallopini
    *garlic salt/powder
    *black pepper
    *2 tablespoons oil
    *1/2 bunch green onions (you call them scallions in the USA?)chopped, also
    the green part
    *1 lb mushrooms, sliced thinly
    *white wine (1/2 cup)
    *4 tablespoons cream (optional)
    Method:
    1 Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt/powder and pepper. Coat non-stick frypan with oil spray. Sear both sides. (2 minutes each side --it will be cooked through) Remove
    to a plate
    2. Heat oil. Add in green onions. Fry four about 5 mintes, stirring
    occasionally.
    3. Add in mushrooms and white wine
    4. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
    5 If there's too much liquid, evaporate on high heat, or thicken with 1
    teaspoon cornflour in 2 tablespoons water (cornflour contains carb, not many
    in this quantity, but you can do without it)
    6. Return chicken to pan with mushroom mixture. Add in cream (if desired)
    Heat through and serve.
    Serves 4-5.
    Even people who hate mushrooms like this!

BOB
  • quick cheesecake

sugar free jello(whatever flavor you like, strawberry and orange are my faves) made with only 3/4 cup boiling water, mix with 1 pkg cream cheese. blend well and pour into 4 aluminum tart pans. chill in freezer 1 hr or overnight in fridge.

BOB
  • Found these two recipes on the web, but forgot to get the person's name who posted them and the site. I haven't made either one, so can't say what they'd come out like.

Fresh Apple Cake...or as I like to call it, Apple Pie Cake

1 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 1/2 cup honey (USE AGAVE)
    3/4 cup egg substitute (or whatever you use to substitute for 3 eggs)
    2 tsp vanilla
    3 cup flour (I use 1 1/2 wheat pastry flour, 1 cup wheat, and 1/2 cup defatted soy)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
    3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a bundt pan (I use no-stick spray, Bev).
    Combine applesauce, honey and egg substitute. Beat on medium. Sift together dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients on low, until well combined. Fold in pecans and apples. Bake 1 hour.

MY NOTE: You may want to lower the temp when using agave to 300, or watch the cake after about 50 minutes to see if it's done.

This recipe was my grandmother's and it won a blue ribbon in the Dallas, Texas fair.

Mamaw's Sweet Potato Bread

3 1/2 cup flour (I used 1 1/2 wheat pastry, 1 1/2 wheat, and 1/2 defatted soy)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 1/4 cup honey (or 2 cups fructose) (USE AGAVE)
    2/3 cup soy milk (I didn't have any on hand so I used water and it turned out okay) (PROBABLY COULD USE REG. MILK)
    3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup egg substitute (or whatever you use to substitute for 4 eggs)
    2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes

Mix everything together until moist. Grease 2 loaf pans (again, Bev, Iuse no-stick spray :-) ) Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until knife comes out clean.

NOTE: Again, you may want to lower the temperature or the time baked when using agave.
  • Never made this, but seems easy enough that not even I could screw this up!

FRESH APPLE CAKE

3/4 c oil
    1 cup agave
    3 eggs
    3 cups peeled and sliced raw apples
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 3/4 cups ww flour, sifted
    1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soda
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Measure oil and place in a mixing bowl. Add agave and eggs. Beat until creamy. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Add to creamed mixture alternately with apples. Add nuts. Bake in greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan at 325 for 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done.
  • Michelle's Cheesecake
    found this on the SB board (Made a few adjustments)

makes 1-9in. springform pan (16 servings)

3/4 cup oatmeal
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup agave
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon ( i used 1 tsp)
    1/2 tsp grond nutmeg(i used 1/4)
    1/2 cup stick melted butter (i used 1/4 cup, 1/2 was too wet)

3 (8oz) packages cream cheese(i used 1/3 less fat)
    3/4 cup agave
    1 cup sour cream (i used less fat)
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 tbsp SGWW pastry flour
    2 tbsp sf vanilla extract
    3 eggs

preheat oven to 325 degrees

in a medium bowl combine oats, pecans, agave, spices and melted butter. press into the bottom of a lightly sprayed (greased) springform pan. bake 12-15minutes until light brown. allow to cool.

in a large bowl beat cream cheese and agave until smooth. beat in sour cream and heavy cream. blend in flour and vanilla. with mixer on low speed add eggs one at a time. pour batter over cooled crust.

bake 20 minutes. reduce heat to 200 degrees and continue to bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until center is no longer wet or shiny.

cool for 1 hour. refrogerate 6 hours or overnite befor removing from pan.

DELICIOUS
  • Buttermilk Pancakes
    Serving Size : 4
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Egg
    1 Cup SGWW Flour
    1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar (Splenda or omit)
    1 Cup Buttermilk Or 1/4 Cup Dry Buttermilk -- Plus 1 Cup Of Water
    1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil -- Or Applesauce

Beat egg. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, add to egg. Add buttermilk,agave, and oil
    (or applesauce) beating until mixture is smooth.

For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Turn pancakes when
    tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. I find that a whisk works well to get the
    mixture smooth.
    Note: I usually make up another batch of the dry ingredients as I measure for this one so I just
    need to add the egg, agave, water and oil/applesauce. (I use the dry buttermilk.)