icky problem:"going" issues :(

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm having an icky issue and I'm not sure where to post it because it's not about weight loss.
    For the past couple of weeks, I've been having issues of not being able to "go" and I'm starting to feel generally unwell all over.
    I just don't get it. I eat a TON of fiber-whole grain hot cereals, fruits, vegetables, I drink a TON of water, I eat yogurt every day. Then suddenly, my system decided to just halt. I've only found relief by taking a laxative, which sends me into terrible cramps, but at least I go.
    I don't want to get into that habit, so I haven't taken one for 3 days, and nothing. I don't know how long it's supposed to take to work, but the "softener" I took yesterday at 4pm hasn't done a thing. Is there anything else I can do? Anyone have any ideas? Sorry this is so gross. I'm really suffering here.
  • I have a similar problem. If I dont take something I will go WEEKS without having a BM. I drink a 16oz cup of Senna Tea every day. If I dont do that, I dont go.
  • Sounds awful.
    The thing is, I never had this problem before. Could I be consuming too MUCH fiber?
    One thing that changed was consumption of Scandinavian crispbread. I think perhaps too many of them.
    I've seen the senna tea online. It really works? Is it harmful longterm?
  • Softeners take time and extra water. Lots of folks take a softener every evening to keep them regular.
    Is the high fiber thing new ... it takes a while to adjust.
    Exercise, like walking can help.
    A couple of things that might signal a need to consult your doc ... Is this a sudden and unexplained difference in bowel habit? Are you still passing flatus? Do you have a family history of bowel trouble?
  • My DD eats activia (yogurt) when she feels irregular and it works for her.
  • Flatus hahaha funny word. Is it a good or a bad sign to be doing that?
    I think the crispbread is super duper fiber, so maybe it's too much.
    I'm going to get even MORE water when I finish typing this.
    Activia really works? I never go a day without eating yogurt, and it's usually Stonyfield.
  • X
  • Well, I don't eat a ton of fat, but I do eat peanut butter and/or almond butter every day. Maybe I need more fat???!??!!
  • I'm pretty regular, but if I go overboard with fiber, it actually stops me up for a day or so--even without changing my water intake. I have to be careful not to eat Fiber One more than once a week because of this.
  • This is so interesting, because like so many other people, I NEVER would have thought too much fiber would have such an effect.
  • I give my patient's warm prune juice when they haven't been in a few days, works great. If you can drink it as warm as possible, the better. It's gross but works for most people. I hope this helps.
  • Quote: I give my patient's warm prune juice when they haven't been in a few days, works great. If you can drink it as warm as possible, the better. It's gross but works for most people. I hope this helps.
    I belong to another board that has a cute little smilie called puke. I immediately thought of that when I read warm prune juice! Why would it have to be warm?
  • Apple juice can also help. Pruce juice would be better, but apple juice would taste better.

There are also some yoga poses you can do that are supposed to help with constipation. I'm not sure the effect is immediate, but if you made them part of your regular exercise/stretching routine, over time I think they would help. I've had bowel trouble in the past that has gotten better since I've started exercising and I'm sure some of it is the stretching.

It does sound like some of you might want to consult your doctors, though.
  • Quote: I belong to another board that has a cute little smilie called puke. I immediately thought of that when I read warm prune juice! Why would it have to be warm?
    Use barf: they mean the same don't they?
  • Quote: Use barf: they mean the same don't they?
    Not even close!!! It starts out normal, turns kind of greenish blue, and the spews all over. It's really quite funny!