40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 75 of 81
Go to
  • Well girls we're going to state. I'm a wee bit nervous. Keep your fingers crosssed. Now I have to go and pack!

Rennie and Lovn wow I'm impressed that you can do that much. I feel so lazy when I read that.

Got to go
  • Diane, I bet the reporter was also wearing the awfulest most ugly sweat suit too!!! 45 pounds ago I didn't feel as good as I do now, but I didn't look like that either. I have two big beautiful sister in laws that would both go well into the "obese" range on the BMI scale and they always look gorgeous. They both now how to dress for their shapes and their ta tas are big, but no one would ever say they look like basketballs. More like oo la la. There's such a wide range of "obesity" I don't know why they always have to go to the extreme. I think their stories would be taken much more seriously if they portrayed closer to the norm. I think your average obese person would be surprised to find out that they are obese. I know I was, because no one on those shows ever looked like me. I thought obese was 300# +. You make a great point.

Kappy, It took me about 3 months of REALLY trying to reach and hold 4 mph. I started at being able to do 3 mph for like 15 min tops. Every day I'd say just two more dots (on the TM read out track) or whatever I had to to go just a little longer. Once I could do a whole mile at 3 mph I started going 1/10 of a mile faster until I could do it. I wasn't able to work out at that pace consecutively until I got down to about 150. I was determined, because my closest friend is 8 years my junior and has never had a weight problem. I didn't like feeling like I was slowing her down when we'd walk. Even though she never acted like I was slowing her down I know I was when we were first walking together.

Clyde, Woohoo for the girls. You must be so proud!

My bedroom's done. I'm off to make pies and then start on the toy room. Honestly, I don't want to do any of it. I put everyone's bedding on the clothes line. Mmmmmm it will smell so nice when I crawl into bed tonight.
  • Clyde
    I don't do nearly the exercise that some on this site do. An average day is 2 three mile walk/aerobic videos and three times a week I ad 40 min of some kind of resistance training.

kappy
    The rule in this house is MOM sits on the left hand of God. You do not have to like me, I stopped caring if you like me when you turned 13 lol. I cleaned her room a couple of months ago. Thought oh my gosh look at this place no wonder she never gets it done, she doesn't know where to start. That it is. Now, you want to act like you are 5, you will be treated like you are five. I treat my 21 year old son the same way. No tv, no phone, no tennis camp. I told her she has till Sunday afternoon ( the room is already about 1/2 done she has been working on it ) lol. Or I will go to her job and quit for her. No luck needed. I am a Mother that just doesn't care what someone Else's mother lets them do. Remember when that mother put the add in the paper and sold her sons car. Do you know I had a dozen people on the net ask me if that was me lol. That is just the kind of thing I would do. We got her duck just about after it hatched so it is very tame and very sweet. I just hate it in my bathtub lol.

Slash
    I agree with you. It is one thing when someone puts on a fat suit and sees how they are treated and how hard it can be do to certain things like fit into a booth at a restaurant. But doesn't sound like that story was done very well. I have seen that before. Just because a person is over weight or even fat doesn't mean they look like those people make it. Breasts the size of basketballs. Come on, how did going to that extreme help anyone.

lovn
    I do a 10 min mile. That is it, I can't go any faster. My husband says I have little road runner legs. He can't keep up with me lol. I prefer the walking/aerobic videos because I am getting so much more out of them than just walking. Today is a go through and do this and that day. Not much to do. Spring break starts next week and so does spring cleaning. All that is really left to do is baseboards, door frames, window sills and scrub the stair well. Then just give the house a good cleaning. Not warm enough to do windows yet. Will hold off to do blinds until I can do windows. I think it is very sweet of you to go to that trouble. Mine likes dream whip instead of meringue. Thank heavens, I hate to make meringue lol.
  • Rennie, Wow!!! a 10 min mile. That's 6 mph. I can do that for maybe 1 mile on the TM and that's it and I'm dying when I'm done. When I did WATP none of them were more than 4 mph. Does she have some that are quicker now?
  • You guys are just inspiring, that's all I have to say! (While I'm sitting here waiting for the repair guy to show up to fix my treadmill.)

Rennie: You really move fast for that mile. I don't really know how fast I can go, but I know it isn't that fast. I'm hoping that I can work on speeding things up... if the guy ever comes to fix my treadmill. I really like walking outside, but the weather hasn't been cooperating at all. It's much warmer now, but the wind blows or it rains a little and that kills our lunchtime walk. I don't have a lot of other time to go, but I thought I could get on the treadmill more often... if I ever get it fixed.

Lovn: That's why I found it offensive. Yes, I fit in the obese category, and I know that it is not where I want to stay. But this "story" seemed like more of a criticism of fat people rather than trying to be a benefit.

Clyde: I'm so excited for you. That's probably really nerve-wracking though to be going to state. I hope they do well and have lots of fun. You have some fun, too!

Kappy: I have ducks, too. I can't imagine locking them up inside. They love their little swimming pool! And, back when I lived in a much colder part of Colorado, we had some baby ducks that we had to keep inside for quite awhile. They were the dirtiest little creatures I've ever had in my house. They took their baths, but they'd get feathers all over, water spilled when they drank, and they just were a mess. Tell her that she'll regret it!!!

Get this!!! I got a call from the repair guy and he asked me over the phone what was wrong. He told me how to fix it so that he didn't have to charge me to come out. Amazing service!!! Wow! So, I'm off to fix my own treadmill!!! HA!
  • We are having another great day here - snow is melting and spirits are high. It is amazing what a couple of days of sunshine and warmer weather can do.

Diane - I am glad I did not see that news broadcast the other night. I think I would have been offended also. It is ok to give the news but do not insult in the process.
    Lovn and Rennie - both of your walking amazes me. I need to add more exercise into my daily routine. I have a hard time fitting it in with all the running a do in my van with my kids. Any suggestions?
    Clydegirl - good luck at state with pompoms - you are going to have a blast such an exciting time.

We are moving DH's parents into a new home so we are hoping the weather is going to continue to be nice for one more day and then we will be leaving for spring break mid week next week so I am excited.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
  • Slash, feels good to be powerful and fix things yourself, doesn't it? I kind of appreciate the fact he was ok with not snowing you and billing for more money.

Thanks all for the duck tips. I'll see if we can't counter some of this garbage to stop the pet duck before it happens!

Rennie you go girl! Despite all the complaints and gripes your kids will end up being a lot better off than the kids with the more forgiving and less strict parents. Some of these really pampered kids when they get out in public get on my last nerve. They are NOT the only person around, they are NOT the most important person around, yes they can wait their stupid turn, and no, I don't need to hear them gripe and complain about how unfair we're treating them!

4mykids3 I do hope the weather holds for you. Nothing worse than trying to move in crappy weather.

Mom and I are off on vacation next week. No cell phone (not enough cell towers in the area), no computer, no TV. So you all stay safe, stay OP, and keep exercising. Catch up with you when I get back!
  • kappy
    I was in a store with my daughter a few years ago. I can't really remember but I will say she was 15. We were at the check out counter. In front of us was a woman with her daughter ( about the same age as mine ). Oh my gosh, this girl was going on and on about wanting something and her mother was telling her they could only afford one she would have to wait for the other ( could have been pieces of clothing ). The girl called her mother a B****. The woman looked at me and said something like, " What can you do with them." I looked at my daughter and asked her what would happen if she EVER talked to me that way. She said ( lol ) " I don't even want to think about it mom. You would go to jail and I would go to the hospital and you would get out of jail way before I got out of the hospital " lol My kid knows. Hope you have a great time on vacation.

4my
    I hope the weather holds out for you and the move goes easy. As far as exercising. First, my life is very uncomplicated. I like it this way. My kids were only ever allowed to be involved, basically, in one thing at a time. I do not think children need to be busy all the time. I made sure mine had plenty of time to do chores, have slumber parties and mow the grass lol. Sometimes I think everyone needs to take a look at what is going on in their lives. Do they really have time to smell the roses? Are they doing to much? No ones life should be so busy they don't have a few hours a day for them selfs. Of course if you have small children this doesn't seem to happen lol. Even when my children were small I had exercise time. They could, A. take a nap, B sit and color or C. join in. They were not given any other choices they did what they were told. When I was working ( and there was a time i worked 10 hour days ), I came home, made dinner, did homework with the kids and then did my workout. My workout is on my list like cleaning toilets and making dinner. It is done each day and that is how it is. I am a very organized person because if I am not I am a very unorganized person if that makes any sense. Sit down and see how you do things. What really has to be done. You might find there are things you need to cut back on. Things you can do at the same time to save some time. A 1 mile walking/aerobic video takes about 15 to 20 min. Heck that can be done while dinner is in the oven.

Slash
    That is great. I had a repair man come out last summer. My children's older sister was here with her kids and one of them left a pencil in their pocket ( she never checks her kids pockets ) and it got caught somehow in the fan. He said that it wasn't covered under warranty for him to take it apart and get that pencil out BUT because I had gotten all the water out of it ( wasn't to hard I have a front loader ) AND the washer was clean AND he would see where I had made sure the whole area around the washer was spic and span clean. He didn't charge me anything at all. I have had him as my sears repair man for years and years. I am going to hate when he retires lol.

Lovn
    Not that I know of. I just know that is how fast I walk lol. Drives everyone crazy because I am always yelling for them at the park to keep up. Oh my gosh, when I try to walk as slow as everyone else, I get so tired. Heck there was a time I walked 3 miles to work everyday and I did it in half an hour and never thought much about it.
  • Hello all, newbie here and feel comfortable posting with 40 year olds! LOL I am 46 and trying to make a new start to lead to another life...the life I always imagined. Actually, I am supossed to have lapband surgery in May...but until then, I cannot gain anymore weight. My clothes are so tight now and I don't wanna buy new clothes for just 2 months. I'm uncomfortable all the time and don't sleep well cause of the extra weight I've gained in the last year which is about 20 lbs.

But anyway...rejoined the sight ( I used to use it years ago but fell off the wagon for a long time). I really need the support right now to get up off the floor and even try again. I hope to give support too.

Thanks for letting me join in!

Debbie
  • Welcome Debbie! Glad you could join in! You'll get lots of support here! Feel free to talk about anything. We're up for just about any conversation.

I can't believe I'm up this early... The things I do for my kids. We'll be out all day at a hunter safety class. It runs today and tomorrow. So, I'll be around, but not a lot.

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Diane, That's terrific that the repairman was so helpful. He must have had a really busy day lined up or he's just a decent guy and knew a slipping belt could be adjusted easily by you. Luckily, I've never had to adjust mine yet, but mine is starting to make a squealy noise if I step in just the right spot? I don't know what that means. I usually wear earphones with music so it doesn't bother me, but I'm fearful it means something's going off. I hope you enjoy the safety course. We're not hunters so none of my kids have ever taken the course, but I think they should. The kids learn a lot about firearms and it could lead to better choices if ever in a situation.

4mykids, If your children are involved in activities that are lead by someone other than yourself, that's a great time to get a walk in. Drop little Suzy at dance class and walk for 45 min. Little Johnny's at basketball, walk the halls. Things like that work well for me, but all my children are old enough now to do for themselves while I'm off and about. When mine were little I did a lot of Richard Simmon's videos, because the kids liked the oldies music and would dance along, but like Rennie said, you have to make a commitment to yourself. My exercise helps "center" me so I can be a better mom. Most women ( I was one for most of my life) have a hard time loving themselves enough to take the time for themselves. We're in our 40's it's now or never. Have a great day and moving someone is exercise!!!

Kappy, Enjoy your vacation!

Rennie, You always have great "kid" stories.

Debbie, I'd joined here years ago and also fell off the wagon. Coming back to 3FC has made a big difference in how well I'm doing at this healthy thing. I wish you all the best and look forward to getting to know you.

Our pie sale for the Scouts went great. We've made enough money in the last few weeks to ensure some fun times for all the boys this summer. It's sunny and beautiful again this morning in the heart of WI. My hubby's working this morning and so is my girlfriend's so we get to walk together this a.m. We haven't gotten to in more than a week and I'm sure it'll be a big gab fest followed by coffee. I have yet to clean the toy room, but a missionary that was scheduled to talk at church today has pneumonia so I have an entire day to do as I wish. Holy Cow I'm excited...I may do nothing..lol..not a chance!

You all have yourselves a great Saturday!!!

Kristi
  • Rennie, I just did a 6 mile run at 6 mph. Yes, for me that is a pretty quick paced jog. I am in awe of you WALKING 6 mph. I can't walk over about 4.2 mph. Are you like 6 feet tall?

I hope everyone's having a good week-end. The bad weather has blown through here and it's a beautiful day!
  • Happy with myself - took a long walk
    and didn't get the chips and cheese dip I promised myself at the end - I live 2.5 miles from the store so I told myself that I could splurge if I walked there and back - and by the time I got there I'd talked myself out of it!

Down now to 150 so say the scale that's darn close to 15 lbs! 20ish more to go.

Hope everyone has a great day!!! Stick with it - we CAN do this!
  • state champs

They won in the pom category. What a great weekend it was. Very nerve wracking. I was so proud. I'm shattered what a busy day we had yesterday. Will check in later.
  • ward
    I am 4 foot 11 inches lol. I really don't think walking a mile in 10 min is that big of a deal if you have road runner legs lol. I can't run and I can't jog but I sure can walk. My husband is always yelling at me to slow down. I just leave him in my dust lol. Hey just walking is easy, its those darn walking/aerobic videos that kill me. I can't do over a 3 mile one right now and those are 15 min miles lol.