40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 72 of 81
Go to
  • Hi girls.

Good to see everyone posting. Michele and Rainbow we missed you.

Well just got done with measuring and I'm down 4.5 inches in february. We weigh and measure the first Thursday of the month. I know it's friday she couldn't do it yesterday.

I had to go to physio again today. Wasn't too bad, grin and bear it. Diane I have a frozen shoulder. I don't know how it happened. I thought the pain was from my bulging disc in my neck . I was reading in our local paper an article on frozen shoulder and a classic sympton is not being able to unfasten your bra. So I went to the doc and sure that's what it is. They said it could take a couple of years to get better.

Pamela good for you resisting the fried chicken.

I just made another batch of lentil soup for my friend and I. Warms you up in this cold weather.

Meant to say I bought some of that extra gum they are always plugging on The Biggest Loser. The watermelon flavour is really good and kept me from snacking.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Slash
    Don't you just love it when they love to eat something you don't care for lol. Mine likes chocolate cake with grass on it ( coconut ). I do not like coconut so that is fine with me, messes up the whole cake.

rainbows
    Girl, we have wondered where you were. We looked high and low and no rainbow.

The look
    Oh I love the name. I am always giving " the look " lol. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee fried chicken. Haven't had any in ages. Might let myself have some this summer but then I might not. I now just spray a pan with oil and put the chicken on the pan and spray it then season. After it is done baking pop it in the broiler for a few and there is fried chicken. Now the Joe Joe's just aren't quite the same in the oven lol. Nice going resisting temptation. Yes, the store smells soooooooooooo good when they are frying chicken.
  • I just saw a preview for Tuesday's Biggest Loser. They're bringing back all the people voted out and 2 of them will be back in the game.

It's probably the 2 with the highest % weight loss.

I liked Roger's partner and also the african-american married couple. I also liked the pink team.
  • That gum is good but it does contain sorbitol so don't eat too much

I'm going to see if I can get a good movie to watch as there's nothing on TV.
  • Ahhh, TBL talk. Let's see. The brown team was totally cool and I really liked Roger's partner too. I'd kinda like to see the white team wife return, but only if she's been smart enough to dump her whiney husband. I know you're only required to lose weight to be the biggest loser, but ......baggage loss can be very enlightening as well. No pink for me. I didn't care much for either woman. I'm guessing Mark will be back making all the crying "for naught."

My new avatar is the drawing my DD showed at the talent show Fri night. She says she has more shading to do, but that the art teacher wanted her to show it. I guess when she's finished he has plans of taking it to show a somewhere else. You see, our children always give us reasons to go go go. Anyhoo, we're off to WI Dells today. Our church is having a family fun day at Mt Olympus.
  • More on TBL talk: While it makes for good entertainment, I don't think it is exactly fair that they bring back 2 people who were already voted off. I agreed with the statement that was made saying that they already beat these people and now they have to beat them again? It will be interesting to see who they bring back. I didn't care for the pink team at all, and I agree the husband on the white team was such a hindrance for the wife.

Well, made it through the day yesterday. I spent a lot of time running around. It was a good day, though. I think my daughter was a little tired last night... she had major attitude going on and was very irritable. Just love that.

Today is laundry day and whatever other projects I can get to. I have the list out!

Clyde: Awesome weight loss! That's a lot of inches in one month! You must be really excited. Oh, and about the frozen shoulder... I thought you were just describing what it felt like, I didn't realize that it was the diagnosis. How strange that is!

Lovn: That is an awesome drawing. She did a great job!

Rennie: I'm with you. I don't like coconut either!

Well, have a great day everyone!
  • New here
    I joined last week but haven't posted. I have let myself go way too far to where none of my close fit. I am on a mission.

I'm 44 and will be 45 in June - my goal to be 121 and in great shape by then.

I started this at 160 and started with just exercise at the beginning of Jan - I could barely get through the short version of the Firm exercise programs. I can now get through comfortably the whole long version - whew! Will not ever quit exercising again for a while - tooooo hard at this age to get back into it.

2 weeks ago I started watching what I eat and am now down to 151.9 - so I think I'm making some progress - now to STICK with IT!!

It's nice to have a site like this to come to for support and advice.

C.
  • Hi Cat

About TBL I saw that it's the 2 people who have lost the most % since leaving the ranch so I don't think Mark or Bernie would be the highest.

Who knows how they figure this stuff out.

Lovn nice drawing your daughter did. My older 2 are both arty and I have no idea who they get it from.
  • Diane, Ahhh attitude. I've got plenty of that going around here too. My entire family, minus me, are complaining of a sore throat. No one is actually running a temp or anything at this point. I'm counting my blessings. All 4 children went to school full of ibuprofin and armed with halls cough drops. The oldest was all, "can't I stay home. I haven't missed yet this year," etc... I took her temp, 98.5. Finally she says, "I'm just really tired!" Well, aren't we all? I personally hate daylight savings time. Glad you had a good weekend though.

Welcome sillycat. Post when you can

Clyde, I don't think much about this season of TBL has been fare. Too many situations have looked "set up" to me, but I'm still loving it. If they are bringing 2 people back and I had a vote. I would say it should either be the
    1st 2 who had to leave or the last 2. The first 2, because they didn't have much of a chance to prove themselves. The last 2, because they did what they had to do to hang in there so long. I don't care whether I agree with the entire show or not. It's still my favorite.

I had a blast at Mt Olympus yesterday. I rode all the slides except one. I'm not sure why we didn't ride that one we just didn't. I sat in the hot tub and relaxed and just wandered and took pictures of all the children from our church. We had 64 people go. It was very nice. My BIL drove the school bus and donated his time. Just a real nice family day. My oldest daughter wasn't feeling well and none of her friends were going so she opted to stay home. Daddy ended up treating her to "Spiderwick" at the local theater. Funny how a gal can feel better when she has her daddy's undivided attention!! Well, I'm gonna have to stay off the net until after school incase someone should get worse symptoms. Have a great day!

Thanks for the compliments on the drawing.
  • helloooooooooooooooo and happy morning to everyone
    hey ya'll .... as paula deen says... OMG....i was a piggy pig yesterday! we drove to savannah to eat at the lady and sons restaruant...the one owned by paula deen...from The food network...and OMG the food was soooo good! her place is not what you might think for a tv personality, and nothing like emerils in orlando. its quite the homey country place....clapboard siding, ceiling fans whirring...and a HUGE buffet...fried chicken, roast pork, collard greens, cream corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes....OMG....i totally went off my nutritional take in! the building is an old southern three story building... in the heart of downtown savannah...very non-descript. but i knew it was her plae as soon as I turned the corner and saw the line of people! haha i waited about 10 mins just to get my name on the LIST! then we had to come back about 2 and a half hours later for our reservations!!! they don't take call in reservations...only you have to show up anytime after 9:30 am to get your name on the list for the day! then come back at your assigned time! well, in one sense it was worth it...i can add her place to my list of establishments i have visited...however, uggg...i was sooooooooo stuffed on the ride home...and have paid for over indulging dearly, through the night and this morning! can you say plop plop??? fizz fizz??
    hugsssssssssss
    cheeriooo
    rainbowsmiles
  • Hey all! Glad to see everybody is back. Good heavens it's a lot of work finding people like Michele and Rainbow!

Welcome, Cat, hope you enjoy it here!

JaneZoe, where be you? How are you doing today?

Mom and I did something totally insane last week. Something call a Quilt Shop Hop. Obviously designed for folks who don't work. Five days to visit 20 different quilt shops. Perspective -- we went to one close to home to start out on Friday morning. The next store was 69 miles away. The one after that was only 11 miles away, the next one was 32. We logged something like 450 miles over the three days we went out, including the miles while lost. Gotta love Mapquest, when it doesn't know it takes you to the weirdest places. So while we're out and we're down to our last 4 stores Mom finds a "better map". Turns out it's for another hop in June! Good heavens. It only has 13 stores and a museum, but shorter hours. The good news is we found some lovely places to go back to later. I sure hope the gas prices are better in June, I'd like to be able to enjoy the "hopping"!
  • kappy
    Sounds like great fun. What do you mean people who don't work lol.

rainbow
    Sounds like you had a nice time. I guess once a year that kind of thing isn't going to kill us

Mom
    I love to go to those places and take pics of everyone. Me, get my new swim suit wet are you out of your mind lol.

Slash
    I have never figured out why people want to put that darn grass all over everything. Just messes up the chocolate as far as I am concerned lol.
  • Sorry Rennie, what I meant was when they plan these "hops" out they get all the participating stores to agree to special hours. In this case 9-7. In the next "hop" 9-6. I don't get off work until 4. If I have to drive 30 miles in commute traffic to get to the first store, it's not like having Wednesday-Friday afternoons available is going to do much good! It's a killer weekend or take a day off. I can tell you 10 shops in one day is complete overload.

I wanted to share with all our snowbound buddies -- the Central Valley is produce central for a lot of stuff. So we're out there driving back roads and rural routes and it's orchard after orchard in glorious, full bloom. White blossoms, white-pink blossoms, white-peach blossoms, just a beautiful sea of white trees. I'm positive there were almond trees, pretty sure there were apricot trees too. Not sure if the others were cherry or something else. Pretty sure they've been in bloom for awhile, the ground under the trees was as white as the tree tops. It looked a bit like it had snowed on the ground. Keep the faith, spring is coming!
  • kappy
    I was only kidding lol I didn't take offense. I use to wonder the same thing. My quilt club would have things at 2 pm. If you work outside of the home you can't go. If you have children you can't go because you are waiting for them to get home from school. I would find that the church we use to go to did the same thing. Seems to me many things are set up for those that don't have a job outside of the home and also don't have children or anyone that depends on them to take care of them. Maybe they think older people are the only ones that would be interested in those types of things. I use to go to ceramic class. I really enjoyed it. They were held at 7:30 pm. Then the lady changed the time to 4:30. I couldn't go anymore. I have children, I have to make dinner. Some people couldn't go anymore because they weren't even home from work yet.

I love winter when we have snow. It is so pretty out. Everything white. I also love it when the trees are covered in ice like we had the other day. Oh my gosh so lovely.
  • Hi everyone.

Busy week. My oldest is coming home from uni tomorrow for 3 days. They're on spring break and she needs to come home as she needs stuff!! There's a lot going on each day. I went out and walked today it was cold but felt really invigorating. When I got home I felt really refreshed.

Rainbow when I first came to the States 23 years ago my MIL who lived in Savannah took me to a restaurant in the old downtown area. It was like you described. I don't remember the name of it. No idea if it was Paula Dean's or someone else. Anyway what I do remember is people would queue up for hours to get in. You sat at huge round tables and they brought the food out to you on platters. You would sit with complete strangers and pass the food around the table. It was good eating.

I am going to a Pampered Chef Auction tomorrow night. You have to take $20
    of quarters with you. Should be interesting.