40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 23 of 81
Go to
  • Hey all. Sounds like we all have a lot of the same issues.
    My boys both drive. Blessing and a curse. Saves some of my time, but because of what I do (personal injury for an insurance company) I worry, probably more than I should.
    Older son is in college, so sports etc for him have stopped. Younger son is still in school. Plays Football, wrestles and does the school play as well as Debate type club, so I feel the running pains!! But, it works for us. We have always let them join, but grades MUST stay up. Sports actually help with that, at our school, if you aren't passing and all up to date with your work, you aren't allowed to practice or play. Both have taken tough courses for college credit in HS, but both love to read and I think that helps. Thank you JK Rowling!!
    Either way, every family has to choose what works for them. We don't mind the running, either I or DH or now that we only have 1 in school, usually both are at every game, performance or what have you. I'll miss it when it's gone, but do look forward to spending time not in the bleachers too!!
  • lovn
    Glad you get to have another nice time with your kids. Walking the halls is great exercise. The weight could be for lots of reasons and water retention around the joints sure wouldn't help what the scale reads. You might want to get instructions on that machine if you don't think you are using it correctly. My daughter is allowed to drive to work and that is it. You got around on your feet before you could drive. You can get around on your feet now lol. She was pretty lucky knew someone that knew someone and she has a job. There just isn't much out here and my son still hasn't found a job. This is the first year we would even let him work. He had to work so hard at school and his homework to keep grades up there really wasn't time to let him work. Now he wants to and there just isn't much work around. Today he gets to help clean the upstairs and the porch. She is at work so he gets to do his chores and what ever I would have had her do. Life is tough isn't it lol.

Slash
    You have a wonderful time and enjoy every min. Just make sure you take sometime for yourself. Even when I had a high paced job I never let it get to me lol. Just the kind of person I am. I plug away at everything and get done what I can get done. I always seem to get done but never let much get to me. I had a boss one time that said he would walk into the office and watch me. He would see me fall into 1000 pieces all over the place. When he thought i just couldn't take anymore I would stop. Pick all the pieces up. Take a deep breath and plug away. He thought it was so funny how I could do that .
  • Diane, sounds like you're living the life I would love to have. Don't get me wrong, being a SAHM is my choice and I love it, but sometimes I want something more that's an accomplishment just for "me." The sad fact is I know I couldn't keep all the balls in the air. I'd start letting some part of our home life slip (other than cleaning). I've thought about going back into the work force since my youngest will be 9 this week, but then the guilt sets in. I've been able to attend all of my children's activities, even summer baseball games. It just seems so unfair that he would be the one in little league who had to tell mom about his games rather than me being their. Crazy I know, but my mother never made time for me or my activities when I was growing up and I don't want those memories for my children. I'm always inspired by women like yourself who can do it all. Here's to a day all to yourself!
    mothermavis, our school's the same way - grades are up or you're off the team. Thankfully grades are not a problem for my children. High honors for the 3 oldest. Our youngest still gets S's no honor role available. I myself loved all the H.P. books, but I must say the last one felt like a let down. Too much repetition of past books etc... like she wrapped up the series just to have it over with.
    Rennie, walking the halls would have been good exercise. My friend, who was suppose to be at work, was there. She didn't want to walk, because she had plans after bb and didn't want to get sweaty. So, of course we watched the girls and talked. About the time I was going to say, "I gotta go walk now," another mother, who's company I really enjoy, came over to join the clutch. The next thing I knew practice was over and I was on my way home. I did hit the TM for 3 miles, but for 3 s-l-o-w miles. I just walked at 3.8 mph. It went quickly though, because at that pace I can talk confortably and ds was more than willing to talk about his game from the night before and the fb game that was on tv. How important it was even though it wasn't the Badgers etc...
    Weight is up another .8# this morning. I should be good with that, because day to day fluctuation is normal, but I know what's going on. My head is going crazy over the number, because I've decided maintainance isn't good enough. I want to lose again. Once you've been a yo-yo dieter the head game is never completely gone. For years I would lose 25-30# every spring. I'd look good and get all the compliments during the summer and then start to put it all back on just as soon as sweatshirt weather was back. Only to do it all over again the following spring. The plan I have laid out should net me about a 1-2# loss each month. I know that, but because I'm "on program" my head is screaming for dramatic losses. Mornings like this I think I should be content. I'm only 20# from a really healthy weight. My exercise level means I'm allready really healthy, but quitting feels like giving up. At 43 how much am I willing to give up...cream in my coffee, 100% real WI cheese, a glass of wine at night? Not sure. That's why I'm bumping up the exercise and hoping that will do it. I'm sure it will. I just have to get my head on straight about how slow it's going to come off. Thanks for reading my ramblings. Unless you've been here, you don't get it. That's why these forums are so terrific. I have no friends that have "been here" or at least who are willing to talk about it. Have a great day!
  • I had a good day all around yesterday. I'd taken family pictures for 12 different families from my church as a fund raiser. I handed them out yesterday and everyone was more than happy. I was so thankful. because when I first started shooting my mind was screaming that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but I took alot of time at the kiosk cropping and centering and they did turn out very professional looking. From the project our youth group raised enough money to buy Christmas gifts for less priviledged teens in our area. That should be a fun shopping day. My eating was good, but I didn't exercise at all. I'm going to try to squeeze in a quick 2 miles this AM. The day is busy. 7:30am leave for a town 40 miles away to order more pics (yes, they were that happy), be back by 11am to get my teeth cleaned, be at school by 2:15 for honor role ceremony, 5pm be at ds basketball game, 6pm get younger ds to scouts, 7pm be 20 miles away at dd honors band concert. In there I need to find time to plan ds scout meeting. His leader called and she can be there, but she has nothing planned and no time today to do so and I'm pretty sure it's important I make a meal and feed everyone. Once I've gotten through the next couple of days preparing Thanksgiving for my hubby's side of the family will seem like a day in the park.
    Hope everyone's weekend was tip top.
  • Had a good weekend, but I didn't get everything done that I wanted to get done. Big surprise there... not.
    I am taking off on Wednesday to finish everything up, so that will be nice. I am so ready for the Thanksgiving weekend! It is just nice to have some time away from work! Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays just because of the low stress.

Lovnmom, sounds like you will be running and running today! How fun! ha!

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Rennie, that's funny! Well, not really.... that's kind of how I feel sometimes!

Can you imagine what you would come back to if you ever really left!?? Spooky!
  • Brand new
    Hello,

This is my first time on any type of support group/forum/chat room. I came across the site while looking for fat-free cheese in Canada (apparently, we do not have fat-free cheese in Toronto, outside of cottage cheese). I read through some messages and registered right away.

I have lost and gained 20 lbs three times in the last two years. I need to find a way to lose it and keep it off. I have been to WeightWatchers (a couple of times) although I lose the weight, I am not modivated to continue.

After I gained another pound this week, I decided to pull out my WW information. I am going on a cruise in February (purchased to celebrate our 25 wedding anniversary in September). I would really like to be comfortable in a bathsuit by then. But I would really like to change my life-style to ensure the weight stays off.

I hope to find the motivation I need by conversing with people going through the same struggle as I am.

I have decided to try WW Core and see how it goes.

My goal is 27 lbs by February 15th, 2008 (with any luck, or hard work, as the case may be).

Thank you for the opportunity to be involved.
  • Thanks
    Thanks for the good wishes and better advice. I know that I have to exercise to keep the weight off and that is my stumbling block. I have such good intentions through out the day but by the time I get home from work I can't seem to talk myself into it. I hope to do some walking this week as a way to start. No! I don't hope to, I will do some walking this week to start.
  • I started my weight loss journey today finally. I am on a medically monitered weight loss plan. I chose to do the liquid for 6 weeks and then transition back on food for 12 weeks. It was not so bad today, but I should be sleeping since I am getting hungry. My weight was up 3 lbs, I was eating like crazy the last week thinking it was the last time I would eat agian.

The gave me a meal plan to follow Thanksgiving if I choose, which is good since I am going home to be with family and we are expecting 37 people. I have to bring my famous green bean cassarole. I make it every year but never eat it since I don't care for it so I won't be tempted to eat while cooking.

DKToronto welcome. This group is great, I get inspired reading there views and opinions every night before bed.
  • Diane, I did run, run, run yesterday. It was a total blast. Well, except for the teeth cleaning part. DS team won their game by 2 points. He made 8 of the 27 points and had some terrific rebounds and steals. He's not the aggressive type by nature so it's really nice to see him do so well. DD's concert was beautiful, although a lot of hard work. They practiced 4 hours with just a couple 10 min stretching breaks. She made new friend from a neighboring town, so it was all worth it. All in all a great day.

Welcome DK, The best advice I can give is to make small changes you can live with. Make no food a bad food, because that just makes you want it more. Exercise, it makes a huge difference. Walking is a terrific choice. If possible walk with a friend it makes the miles speed by.

Rennie, love your story about the towels. Most days it appears that's what the girls room is carpetted with here at my house. lol

Candle, Best wishes for your new journey. It might be scary changing to all liquid. If it gets frightening or you need to just whine, post about it. We'll all try to help. If it goes easy and you want to scream how happy you are, post that too. We'll all do the happy dance with you.

No time for exercise yesterday, but no time to just sit much either. My food stayed within a comfy calorie range, but too much of it was carbs. I should have plenty of fuel for exercise today lol Today's a much slower day. I'm driving the kids to school so they can sleep in a little longer and shopping for Thanksgiving. Since everyone brings a dish to pass I really only need a ham, shrimp, wine and beer. The rest has been purchased allready. Exercise will not be an option today, but a priority!!!
    Have a great day all.
  • Rennie - Funny! I'm going to try the approach of how the poor towels want to be hung up so that they can see what is going on. I am guessing I'll get at least one eye roll off of that. I also feel that dying is not an option. Where would they learn any of this? From my husband?? Ha! Not likely. He's a good guy, but has problems with seeing the dirt that he brings in the house. He also is dishwashing challenged.

DK - Welcome to the group. Glad that you're here. It is tough getting started on this journey and sometimes very tough to stick with, too. My advice is to take it a day at a time and to plan. Make it through one day before thinking about the next day. Then, try making it through a full week of being on plan. If you can keep going, you'll have wonderful changes happen! If you have an off plan day, then don't beat yourself up. Get right back on plan the next day.

Theresa - Good luck with your new plan. I hope it works out well for you!

Lovnmom - Sounds like a fun filled day. I love going to kids stuff! My son is also not very aggressive. He is big, but he's just a sweet kid. I've noticed over the past year that he's getting better at really going after it in sports.

Well, I just need to make it through the day! I'm looking forward to being away from work for awhile. Tonight I'll take the kids to work on basketball and volleyball again because I'm not sure how much time we'll have for that during the holiday. We went last night and had a great time. I'm so tickled that they both enjoy getting out and working hard on their skills with Mom!
  • DIane, that's so awesome that you are willing to give that time to your children. Letting them know that what's important to them is important to you is the coolest gift you can give them. The added bonus, you'll burn off loads of calories having fun with them.

Foods been good today and I've checked a number of household to dos off my list. Hitting the TM at 2pm and feeling ready to tackle it!
  • Rennie, great job on the weight loss and the call on the dress. A mom has to be brave enough to say what she's really thinking if she wants her children to learn anything. Good job. I hope you were able to find a dress that both you and your daughter love. Good luck teaching the domestic to your ds!!

My plan was to do 2 miles on the TM yesterday, but I ended up doing 3 miles. Yeah me! The first two I did at 1/8 mile intervals. 4 mph on incline of 4-6% for an 1/8 then lower the incline to 1.5% @ 4.5 mph. The switching up pushes me enough to get the sweat rolling, but not so much that I'm uncomfortable aerobicly and neither do my knees hurt. The last mile I did in 1/4 mile intervals. I started at 4 mph and just backed off .2 mph each 1/4 mile so I ended at 3.4mph. Nice and easy. I feel terrific afterward. Weight is down today, but I won't post a change until the first of Dec....Doing deliveries with my hubby this a.m. Then will shop for Tomorrow's dinner. I put that off yesterday. My exercise plan is to do a TM program that's in my machine. It only lasts 20 min, but hits 10% incline and 6mph. Thankfully not at the same time!!!
    Have a great day all!
  • Rennie, I feel your pain. My two are 19 and 21. Two pounds? Congratulations.

lovnmom, three miles instead of two? Terrific. I hope I can post numbers like that very soon.

I am two days plus in and I have lost more than 1 lb. I am hoping for two lbs this week. WW Core seems to be easier than Flex, but I am missing bread, and I have already used 16 of my 35 points.

Thanks for listening.
  • dk
    You will get there. Just remember a mighty oak doesn't grow in one day.

Lov
    I am pretty lucky. She doesn't like to look like a hooker lol. She really liked the dress until she saw it on that other girl. She didn't like it after that lol. We found a wonderful dress. Just a bit sexy, just a bit flirt but nice and respectable too. Nice going on the three miles. I sure with I had enough umph to do what you all do. What I am doing it pushing it to the limit lol.

Been a good day. Housework is done, laundry is being done now. Turkey is in the over, have to baste every hour starting in about an hour. It will be done about noon. All is good in my little part of the world lol.