Untapped exercise aid

• I had stopped exercising for a while for a variety of reasons, one of which had been that sometimes the only time I had was at 10PM when the kids were finally in bed. I like to take walks to cool down and stretch out after I exercise, but by 11PM my husband was already asleep and I didn't feel comfortable walking around the neighborhood alone that late at night. I'm a pretty tough cookie, but I'm not going to put myself into potentially dangerous situations just because. And when I didn't walk, I'd just flop into bed and wake up feeling like an over wound sprint.

Silly me, I just recently discovered that, OMG, I can walk my dogs at 11PM! It was like an epiphany that never should have gotten past me. My dogs get a walk, I get a walk, and I don't feel vulnerable. My dogs aren't big, but who's going to mug a woman walking two snarling balls of teeth and claws?

Long live the night time workouts!
  • Good call! I've always felt safer with dogs around.
  • That's the way I get my walking in. Yesterday I walked my dog 4 times and took one walk without him.He likes it and it's good for me.
  • Good idea!
  • Yay!!!! Way to go!! And I bet your dogs love going out at night for a nice long walk. It's so much cooler on their little paws at night time too!!! keep up the great job!!!
  • I know what you mean. My dog used to wait until about 9:30 or 10:00 and then he'd start the nudging. It didn't stop until after the walk. Like having your own personal trainer. I had to put him down about 2 years ago and I miss him a lot but I also miss my evening walks. Maybe I need to look into getting another one.
  • dogs are great, aren't they? My dog is really friendly, but she's got pit in her so most people don't even chance walking up to me. I like it that way!

I DEFINITLY think everyone needs to own a dog...they are such great motivation and I get dog therapy everyday. I'm getting my boyfriend an English Bulldog puppy from a rescue for him for a wedding gift. We both LOVE dogs and he's always wanted one. Granted...I don't know many people scared of bulldogs.

I like to go for walks at about 10 as well because of my doggie's paws....I don't like her being on hot assphault too long.
  • Heh heh, I dunno Sheila--not everyone wants to own a dog! And not everyone has a situation where they can.

But, for those who can have them and can take care of them, they are wonderful companions.

Jay
  • My dog sure lets me know when it gets close to time to walk. She loves it, and it's good for both of us. She's an after dark walker, too.

Rainy