How much can scales vary?

• So when I first started my weight loss plan almost 2 weeks ago, I didn't have a scale, so had been weighing myself at work on my boss' scale. When I weighed myself on Monday it was 157.2. Well last night I finally bought my own, and when I weighed myself first thing this morning, (after peeing and before eating, haha), it said 153.8! So my question is, about how much could these scales vary from eachother. From now on I'm going to be using my own scale and only my own scale, so I should go by the numbers on that one, right?
  • Absolutely you need to go by your own scale . . . no two are ever the same (well, hardly ever). The difference could also be partly from the time of day, the clothing, the fact that you'd had something to eat or drink by the time you got to work. They can all make a difference.

Have a great day . . .
  • I live by the theory that no scale is created equal

Since I weigh almost daily (before shower, after pee) my personal scale is the only one I take truly seriously because I know it's accurate (I test it with a 10 lb weight periodically) and since it's the only one I truly consider, the fluctuations are accurate- and that's what's important to me. I can't trust a 6 pound difference on two different scales, but I can trust it on mine alone.
  • Hi TxBrittany,

The only weigh (ha ha) to know for sure is to weigh yourself on the boss' scale and then immediately weigh yourself on yours. Speaking from experience, it's quite possible for inexpensive scales to be + or - 15 pounds of each other. (Professional balance scales aren't always accurate, either, because they need to be recalibrated regularly, but they tend to be less blinky than home scales.)

Unless you're shooting for some specific number for, say, insurance reasons or to make weight for a professional boxing match (), just use the home scale. It will track your progress, which in the end is all that matters.
  • Thanks guys! I'll just stick with my home scale, then! I like those numbers better anyways!
  • Ok, I reset my scale and checked the accuracy with a 5 pound bag of whole wheat, and now it's accurate! It was off by about 3 pounds. The numbers don't look quite as nice now, but at least I know it's accurate, and hey, 4 pounds in 2 weeks isn't so bad!