my body is going crazy need advice...

• Hello Ive been diagnosed with IR at the beginning of june 2007, i am currently taking metformin 850 2x a day. My concern is that the first two weeks of my treatment I disregarded any type of diet and I actually overloaded on everything in sight, specially sugar... and at the end of those two weeks I lost 3 pounds. Regardless of the weighloss I decided to eat like a normal human being, so I started to eat healthier after that for like 3 weeks, when I weighed myself I was 1 pound heavier. Now I knew that I had to do something different so I started the Insulin resistance and after one week I gained 1 pound even though I have been doing cardio 6 days of that week for about 40 min and I followed the diet step by step( no more than 1500 cal and only 30g or less carbs per meal with 15 g protein, only like 5 meal a day)... I dont know what is happening. But my major concern is that a couple days back I went to a buffet because I was mad that the IR diet was not working and I ate 2 plates of main food and one whole plate of dessert... I AM NOT KIDDING and the next day I was 1/2 lb lighter... Now I am really confused. It seems that whenever I eat high sugar foods and take metformin I lose weight, but if I eat healthy and watch my carbs and take metformin weight actually goes up... Does someone have a similar problem?????
  • Angie,
    I can sympathize with you. I was diagnosed also in May '07 with IR. The Cardiologist told me to go on a low carb too and I have been on vacation since June 1st. Since then I have been getting up early and walking and also going to Curves 2-3 x's a week. I take Metformin 1 x a day @ 500mg. I did drop some but I am very frustrated! It seems like no matter what I do it won't come off! I am even having trouble with my feet swelling so I went back in to see him and he told me watch my sodium and keep doing what I am doing. I told him it is not really working and he told me to keep going. I am very frustrated! I don't know if that is helpful but at least we sound like we are in the same boat.
  • When I was working up to my highest dose of Glucophage/Met, I had similar issues. It didn't make sense to me that I could eat carbs but not veggies. It can take a few months for your body to start to work right with the medicine. Most likely your dr will be running tests within 3 to 6 months of use. That is when you will find out if it is working for you. Stick to a low carb diet, exercise, and make sure that you take your meds. If it is going to work, it will, it just may take some time.

Patience is a valueable tool on the IR journey, unfortunately.

Keep going!