Points for Cherries??

• Ok,so alot of places around me have had their cherries on sale (seeded).Anyways, I see on DWLZ it stated 5 1/2 ounces or 1 cup was 1 point.Does anyone know how many cherries this is?I figure the pits will make it heavier..lol
  • I just measured this out yesterday. (I bought seven pounds of Ranier cherries, I'm so addicted). 1 cup is about 12 - 15 cherries, and has about 80 calories.
  • Um, just a thought, but unless you're going to bake them or eat them the same day, pitted cherries aren't going to last very long. Buying them with the pits in would seem a better idea, unless the sale is just too good to pass up (but again, you're going to have to use them right away).
  • Thanks..I have never seen cherries in the fruit section without seeds..I have never heard of the cherries you mentioned.I think the ones i buy are the bing cherries (pic below) How many points do you figure yours to be at 80 calories?Thanks

• I misinterpreted. I thought you meant that the cherries had been seeded or pitted (meaning deseeded, or depitted). The 1 cup measurement includes the stems and pits, and I believe is supposed to.

According to diabetic food exchanges, a fruit (60 calories each), serving of sweet cherries (ranier, queen anne, bing...) is 12 cherries. In a calorie counting book, sweet cherries were listed at 80 calories for 1 cup of cherries (seeds and stems not removed).

When I measured out my cherries, 12 cherries (stems and seeds included) was just under a cup, and it took about 15 cherries to actually fill the cup. By both means of calculations, each cherry has about 5 calories.