Cool Runners - July

You're on Page 10 of 12
Go to
  • I did 3 miles today in 29 minutes -- speedy for me! It would've been faster but I had weird stomach pains in the last mile...eek!
  • Today was an no-run day but I forced myself to the gym to walk for 30 minutes and do some weights. My lower back is acting up lately although it doesn't seem to hurt much when I run but afterward. I am working on strengthening my back and stretching. Tomorrow is another run day and I am looking forward to it. Each week I am amazed that I have made it this far. I can't wait for week 9 to come so I can say I completed the program and I am a runner! My SIL is coming to visit me at the end of week 9 and she was here a week before I started the program so she's going to go out for a run with me and be shocked.
  • Woohoo cakses!

Lisa - thats fast for me too!

I just wanted to share something with all of the new runners...and old runners. This is my favorite description of what makes a runner

http://www.johnbingham.com/become.html

I had a kind of epiphany today. When I started running it was because it was the most calories I could burn on my lunch hour. My mom's friend asked me today "so do you run to lose weight?" And I answered "No, I STARTED running to lose weight, but now, I run because I love to. - In fact...I lost weight so I could run better"

And I think that might be why this time I was able to break through that 145 barricade and why this time I know there is no going back.
  • Thanks for the link Ennay, I love reading John Bingham's words of wisdom on running. I read his book "The Courage To Start" when I first started running - it so resonated with everything I was going through, and I'd recommend it to any of you C25K folks (or anyone else, for that matter).

7 miles for me this morning - I hate getting up early, although I always do feel so good about getting my run in before work (when I can bring myself to do it).
  • Morning!

2.5 miles for me yesterday - in just under 28 minutes, so I'm getting a little faster - !!!

Cakses - I have two weeks left of the C25K, and I have already started thinking (and saying!) "I am a runner"... and without giggling when I say it because I feel like such a liar!!

My mum is still staying with us, and this past week what we've been doing is going to the TV - I run, and she sits and watches TV. It's kind of nice - even though she'll turn (like last night) and say "Shouldn't you stop? You've been running a loooong time!"

Lisa - I hope to do my 3 miles in about 30 minutes in the next few weeks - and I don't know about your stomach pains, but running makes me FART! I does, I swear!

Ennay - thanks for the link - hadn't seen that before, and I LOVED it!!

Chat soon, folks -
    Heather
  • ennay -- Thanks for the link. I love that guy! I read "The Courage to Start" a long time ago when running was just a crazy notion to me, and I always knew I would eventually do it.

Heather -- 3 miles in 30 minutes is VERY fast for someone as new to running as you -- wow!!

cakses -- you're doing AWESOME!!

Rachel -- I like getting my run done in the morning as well, but when school starts I may not be able to. Ugh.

Well, today was the roughest run I've ever had (also the longest). I did 13 miles, and it took a very long 2 hours and 50 minutes. I ended up taking 4 water/walk breaks, and on one of those breaks I had to go into the woods and do a little #2. Sorry, TMI, I know -- but it had to be done. I was 8 miles into the run, and 5 miles away from my house. I knew I had at least another hour of running, and there was just no way. I guess I'm a hardcore runner now! Good thing I carried tissues with me in a little baggie today. Running with a stomachache is a BAD idea, by the way. Oh, and then it rained for the last 4 miles, quite hard, which makes life difficult when you wear glasses!!
  • Lisa - woohooo on 13! you are going to be really ready for that 1/2 --and I wear a baseball cap when I run, it really helps keep the rain off the glasses.

Heather - parents are funny
  • OMG I am a penguin

This article "What's a Penguin?"
    is from that link Ennay mentioned, it's soooo me ... I'm happy not to be alone in my 's pace ....

Quote:
    You might be a penguin if...

* you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
    * you wear your jog bra on top of your singlet. This is especially true if you are male.
    * during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
    * the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
    * you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
    * the only reason you don't drop out of a race is that you're embarrassed that the police in the car behind you (closing the course) will see you.
    * as you're rounding the corner onto Main Street and the finish line, you overhear the announcer on a microphone to the crowd of 500 saying "we are ASSURED the young lady IS coming in!" (Oh well, at least I was young).
    * you recognize all the regular runners on your favorite route from behind.
    * you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
    * you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
    * you make arrangements for a late checkout at the hotel.
    * you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
    * your support crew talks about meeting you for supper, not lunch.
    * you have to memorize the route because you know that you will lose the back of the pack.
    * the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind. (Don't laugh—this actually happened to me!)
    * as you pass a course volunteer they ask you, "How many are behind you yet?" and you say "Behind me? Behind? Gosh ... I think two ... Unless they turned around!"
    * the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

• I can so relate to the third and fourth one. And the potty issue. I get terribly nervous if I'm in a race that doesn't start and end near a bathroom.

Lisa, that's incredibly fast!
  • I did 2.25 miles total today (2nd run week 4 c25k) and I made sure to check at the 2 mile mark and see what my time was. It was 28:04. That is with a 5 minute walking warm up and then the running set of week 4. I guess that is okay. I am interested to see next Fri when I do 20 minutes straight how far I go. I am not worried about speed, but rather am just sort of fascinated that my legs don't turn to jello during all of this.
  • Ilene--I hate the cone truck. I always have been embarrassed that I consider myself athletic but that I was a walker, so I always signed up for the 5K run instead of walk. The guys in the van were always making sure I was OK. I call them the vultures, preying on the slow and the weak!

STILL trying to break my 20 minute issue tomorrow. I have not run in a week, so I have low expectations. I may just do a 12r-2w-8r and call it a day.
  • I am fairly new to running, and I've read some of the back posts here. I have been inspired by a few members of the group here, though (Lisa and Rachel, specifically), so I thought I might start posting here. I wonder if someone could recommend a website that might introduce me to a more formal training program. I run very slowly, but have managed to run 3.5 miles on a few occasions. I wonder, though, if I'm pushing myself as much as I could. For example, maybe I should be trying to go faster for portions of the run? (I do sprint at the end, though even then I'm not sure I qualify as "fast.") I've tried that a few times, but worry that if I might get too tired and not be able to go nearly as far. Maybe I should be increasing my distance at reliable intervals, instead of just seeing what I'm up for at each run? I am very financially limited, so I prefer websites, but I have also been known to buy a book or two from half.com. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
  • I managed to accidentally set my alarm for 6 instead of 5, so I missed my run this am That's what I get for staying up too late icing cupcakes (don't worry, they're not for me! and I only tasted them a little )

Out-of-towners ariving today, plus a rainy evening means definitely no run tonight. Perhaps tomorrow morning, hopefully the humidity will be down by then.
  • 25 min run tomorrow (workout #3 of week 6 of the c25k program)

Eek! I'm so nervous about it.
  • good luck glitterlicious!!!