Trying to love fish

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Oops, LLV and I must have posted at the same time.
  • Quote: Oops, LLV and I must have posted at the same time.
    No such thing as too much info when it comes to nutrition

I take fish oil every day to help get those oils I don't get from food alone.
  • See, I lOOOOOVE fish...almost EVERY kind of fish! But....I usually don't crave it and would rather fill my body with things that aren't full of cholesterol and high calories. I'd rather take a supplement if I had to.

Whitefish is my favorite but the only time I eat it is when I go to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan...they have the best!
  • Not really a fish person either but Mahi-Mahi is pretty good.
  • Quote: Not really a fish person either but Mahi-Mahi is pretty good.
    Oh YUM!! Mahi-Mahi is awesome! I love grilling them like steaks on the grill. MMMMM...you just made me hungry.lol...*pulls out her apple and starts eating while staring at you angrily for bringing up mahi-mahi*
  • LOL aw that was so funny! I am cracking up at your *pulls out apple... comment! HAHA
  • I'm not really sure of any stores with a good selection of fresh fish. I live in WV, and our "high end" store is Martins. I'll have to ask around. If not, I can see about the supplements.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and articles!
  • Quote: See, I lOOOOOVE fish...almost EVERY kind of fish! But....I usually don't crave it and would rather fill my body with things that aren't full of cholesterol and high calories. I'd rather take a supplement if I had to.

Whitefish is my favorite but the only time I eat it is when I go to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan...they have the best!
    Fish is a good low calorie protein source and even "high fat high cholesterol" fish is relatively low in both and most of the good fats will offset any negative cholesterol

Supplements will never give you as good of nutrition as real food.

While I would never try to force yourself to eat fish if you dont like it, I think its worth trying to get to like. Halibut is also mild (so mild I find it bland). Also using fish with more seasoning. Blackened, fish tacos, marinades, etc.
  • One of my favorite ways to make fish is to marinate it in light ranch dressing or garlic seasoned mayonaise for at least 30 minutes. Then dredge in whole wheat bread or cracker crumbs. Lightly spray a cooking sheet, and put down the fish. Then lightly spray the tops of the fish, and bake until done (it depends so much on the thickness of the fish that it can be anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes).

The crunchy coating is almost like fried without all of the grease. Sometimes I'll put a little wheat germ in the coating for extra crunch.
  • I also make boneless chicken breasts or thighs and lean pork chops this way too.
  • Halibut is a nice mild fish that doesn't have the "fishy" flavor that some other fishes do.
  • Another fish I just tried and found very mild is basa (not bass) fish.