Phase I Beachers - Week starting June 3

You're on Page 3 of 9
Go to
  • Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that I can join your group. I just began P1 of South Beach today. I am excited about the weight loss stories that I've read about and I have been successful in the past with other similar plans. I am compulsive (OCD) in nature and lose and regain weight like other people take out their trash, and of course I know that this isn't healthy. I am trying my best to remember that it's fine to be compulsive at first on P1, but later I need to believe that this is a do-able long term way of eating. I wish everyone the best, and look forward to meeting you all!
    BJ
  • Hello again ladies.
    This is my second go on the beach, lost 31 lbs the first time, gained 10 lbs back after a rough year with 2 friends passing away within 3 months of each other (one was 21, one was weeks shy of her 20th birthday) and used food to cure my sadness. I'm on day 2 of phase 1, no real craving issues or temptation issues as I live alone and stocked up on veggies, chicken, turkey, fish and other good foods and got rid of all the temptation foods i had around. My only problem is my schedule. I have class that keeps me away from home two days a week from 11:30-7:30 at night. What can I take for lunch (snacks, i am ok with) that will get me enough calories and won't go bad without being refrigerated? I don't have the money or the will power to go to the food trucks everyday for a salad. Thanks in advance ladies, and I will let you know the progress i have.
  • My weakest time of day is 4 a.m. when I groggily stumble down the stairs to warm a bottle for my baby. Standing there while it warms, thinking about the crispy cookies in the cupboard and the creamy whole milk (for my preschool-age child) in the fridge... and nothing to do for about a minute and a half til that bottle is warm.... THAT is the hardest time. But before bed I am going to cut up some bell pepper and put it next to the hummus in the fridge, so I can at least have an alternate snack! (though who NEEDS to eat at 4 am - besides babies of course ).

But day 1, did great! Hooray for me!
  • Day 1 is over and this was my menu!!
    B-2 eggs 1 cup Milk
    L-2 cups Lettuce, cheese string, Salad pritzer 10 sprays
    D-eggplant, 1 egg, Ragu Light no added sugar, cheese
    Maybe a porkchop if im still hungy.

Hope this wasnt too much/ not enough let me know what you think.
  • Heather- good thinking on the peppers near the hummus, just thinking about the peppers will most likely get your internal voice to stop thinking about the cookies and keep the will power up. Oh the power of babies and nighttime feedings. No children for me, but enough baby cousins to know that when they want to eat, it makes you want to eat too. But good job on the handy healthy snack!

Stacie- GET YOUR SNACKS IN TOO! By eating 5-6 times a day (with the snacks) you are forcing your bodies metabolism to speed up naturally. If you still felt hungry during the day, you aren't eating enough. The key is to eat the good stuff to where you don't feel hungry. First time around, i neglected the snacks the first week and didn't lose as much weight as when i put the snacks in during the second week.

Good job ladies!
  • Argh. I'm feeling like I'm losing my motivation. I'm on Day 5.

First two days I lost nothing. Third day, three pounds. Then yesterday nothing again. And today, yet again, nothing. Why the nothing-nothing-three pounds-nothing-nothing? I was expecting a gradual drop. I'm religiously sticking to the Phase 1 menu. Not even a lick of applesauce off my finger when feeding the baby!

Please, someone just tell me to stick it out and it'll be worth it. It's hard to put up with this Phase 1 without the reward of seeing the numbers on the scale go down.

Thank goodness for you guys. I would have given up if I was doing this myself!

Kara
  • Im trying to get the snacks in but, I feel so bloated after I ate eggplant. And I wasnt hungry during the day. I dont think Ive sayed that before, But I feel like I cheated because Im not hungry, and actually full. I dont know whats wrong with me!! The last time I tryed SB, I think I felt good the first day also, it was the end of the 2nd day that got me.
  • Good to hear all of your progress reports today. I am starting day 1 on Wednesday, but am gradually lowering carbs so it is not so much of a shock. I did great this morning: coffee with milk and a piece of cheese for breakfast, then a "naked burrito" (in a bowl, no tortilla) for lunch. I stayed full for a long time with no cravings whatsoever. Unfortunately, I worked late and had nothing to eat when I got home but a sandwich. The bread put the sugar monkey back on my back and I ate a mint candy. But I am still congratulating myself (like the Beck Diet Solution book tells me) for having made it all day.

Tomorrow I am buying groceries for Wednesday's Day 1 of Phase 1. Today I threw out everything tempting in the house (except those mint candies that belong to DH). I'll be joining you on the Beach on Wednesday!
  • Thanks, missmess. You made me smile. Onward!

And I would try protein for the tired spells. Are you eating a mid-afternoon snack? What about 15 nuts, or a quarter cup of soy nuts or a sliced red pepper with a slice of mozzerella?

Kara
  • Day 10...
    I cheated a little lastnight...well I had 2% milk I just can't have 1% or skim. I had it with Kashi cereal. Double bad! So I hope that this didn't mess me up??

I also went to the gym lastnight. Last week I only went 1 day, and took it easy, this week I need to kick it up a notch!

for snacks I love celery sticks with a dab of natural peanut butter!
  • How much do you love that natural peanut butter? I've been hooked on that stuff since high school. Try to sneak in Skippy or Jiff and I throw a hissy fit!!!

Good job on the gym! Maybe you evened yourself out with the milk and cereal?

Kara
  • Chickies, remember that dairy is allowed on Phase I and, IMHO, is essential. You also should be eating legumes. These slow carbs will help with the draggy feelings.

By the way, if you are seeing only 20 posts per screen, go to your User CP at top left and change posts per page to 40 using the Edit Options. That means this post will be on Page 2 instead of Page 3. Remember to save the change!
  • I agree, Ruth. Since I don't eat meat, I have beans pretty much every day and I haven't faced any of the constipation issues I've read about. My biggest issue is grumpiness, but I don't know if I'm PMSing or if that's the diet making me crazy!

Kara
  • Day 2 for me, trying to make myself get up to make breakfast. It's pretty sad that I'm already tired of eggs and turkey bacon and it's only day 2! I have to make a run to the store for a few little things I forgot so I think I'll get the stuff to make the veggie quiches. No exercise yesterday but I'm going to meet some girls tonight to go walking. Yesterday they walked 3 miles so I'm hoping to do at least that. Also going to make the taco bake today or tomorrow so I'll have it for lunches and dinners this week. I work 2nd shift and my hubby doesn't like the taco bake so I get it all to myself!

Stacie - I have the problem with not feeling hungry too. I just make myself eat something between meals, usually just some cheese or celery with natural peanut butter. It helps a lot!
  • Hi there! I've been way off track for the past month or so and here I am, back at Phase 1, Day 1. I started making poor food choices and reduced my exercising. Now I'm feeling sluggish, my clothes are snug and I'm ready to take control. Ready, set, go!!