Aussie Chicks in 2007

You're on Page 1 of 89
Go to
  • Hey everyone

Came in this morning to find our moderators have locked our old thread - guess we do talk a lot . Anyway I thought I would get the ball rolling and start a new one. I hope everyone can find it.

Anyway, all is well with me. Just two days until weigh-in and I hope I will lose a little again.

I don't have any plans for the weekend - always a danger - but I will try and behave myself!

Ani
  • I'm sorry but I have to do this....

FIRST!

Hee. Haven't had the best week. Worked today, so no weigh in, which is a good thing. I have been exercising four times a week though, which is awesome. I LOVE exercising even if I do need to force myself some days.

My rotaror cuff is much better. I only need one more physio (making it three, instead of the six he originally said) and than that's done. I've got the dyna bands for therapy (I need to get my left shoulder up to the standard of my right one)

I'm also trying to figure out why certain colours are heavier. My dyna bands are green, blue, black (from lightest to heaviest) which is the EXACT same order my weighted softballs are. So what makes blue heavier than green?
  • Worked a 12hr day today - I'd forgotten how completely physically exhausting nursing is.. my feet are killing me, and the new orthotics didn't help!

Ate well, no exercise today but off kayaking tomorrow and then swimming laps.. and then sitting on my arse in the spa!
  • Wait you don't count 12 hours of walking exercise?
  • How come they locked it? Perhaps only so many posts are aloowed on a thread before it gets overloaded? I must go back to the terms and conditions pages to check it out.

Anyhow, I sat for my exam today. OMG was stressful for the first 5 minutes when i was thinking "What the heck am I doing here?" But then was ok till last ten minutes.

In all I think I did ok. I really struggled with about 8 questions but answered them anyhow and went back to them after I completed the rest of the test. We get results in about 3 weeks. I was panicking that there'd be a heap of algebra and area type graphs and questions (my weakest point), but only one algebra and a form of area that I managed to figure out (well I hope i figured it out). There are a lot of paragraphs and exerpts from books etc that you have to read and then answer questions on like what the writer was getting at in certain phrases etc... and I am of the type that forms an opinion instantly and nothing can sway me so I hope I did ok.

AND the way they word things is so confusing and complexing I figured to look at them simply and was ok.

Anyhow must go get dinner... I am starving.... Had Sizzlers for lunch today (a rare treat like once a year) and bad spring rolls for tea tonight but nothing inbetween

Vonni
  • Vonni I wouldn't take it to heart - I noticed they locked a few of the longer threads, and I figured it's an admin thing, to keep everything manageable.

I had a good day. Did my walking, and then spent about three hours trying to sort out my library of books. Didn't get very far with it, and I will need to do several hours on it tomorrow. Oh well - it will keep me out of mischief.

Ani
  • Yes, I do it at the board I manage when threads get too long, because it makes the server go more slowly trying to load them.

Well done on the exam Vonni! I would hate to wait 3 weeks, at least my US exam gives results electronically after 48 hours.

I don't count nursing as intentional exercise, because it's stop-start, and doesn't get my heart rate up. I work in ICU, so it's just walking between 2 bed areas, it's more the lifting and oxygen tanks and helping big men in and out of bed that was tiring! There private hospital ICUs are really just babysitting people, they aren't sick enough to need intensive care. Give me a nice unconscious patient that doesn't talk back and doesn't need to get out of bed any day!!!
  • Gen I heard something on the radio the other day about an ergonomic workstation which was developed by a cardiologist. It's basically a super-slow treadmill, and the concept is that you keep moving - albeit VERY slowly - as you work. The tests they've done indicate that, if you hold everything else the same (ie eating/lifestyle) for a year, but just use this workstation, you can lose 20kg in 12 months.

Sometimes I think we overstate "exercise", and I definitely believe we don't understand enough about it. Fifty years ago people didn't go to gyms, or own a lot of health-related equipment… and they were thinner. Why? Just because they moved more in their day-to-day life, and didn't have super-convenient access to take-away food. (Well that's my theory!).

Over the last 10 months I've done a lot of thinking about weight loss, and tried a range of things to help facilitate my own journey. I've come to realise that whatever I do, it needs to be something I can manage for the rest of my life. And I know me well enough to know that I couldn't sustain an ongoing gym/swim program - but what I can do is build more "movement" into my daily life.

As it is now I love walking, and in a way I'm lucky because I don't see it as "exercise" - but rather something I enjoy doing. But what I need to learn is that as part of my regular lifestyle I have to move more, and just create a more active environment for myself.

Whether that means walking to the shop for milk, doing a little more around the house and garden, or making time to go and wander around shopping precincts… I've become very conscious of needing to incorporate more physical stuff in my life.

I think that being 'aware' of how you live is half the battle. I'm a lot more conscious now of what I eat, how much I sit, the things that trigger me - and the things that scare me. And I'm almost halfway to my goal weight.

Today I'm planning to sort and re-shelve my books. I have a pretty big collection, and when I moved here I just unpacked boxes and shoved things where they fit. But it drives me nuts when I can't find anything - so as much as it will be tedious to do, I'll feel a lot less chaotic when I have all that sorted out.

Weigh-in day tomorrow, and I'm quietly confident I can lose a little.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

Lindor - where are you? I miss you!

Ani
  • True Ani, I think we do underestimate the role of just moving. I wore a pedometer to work a few weeks ago and did 6000 steps in a shift, which is nearly my day's exercise.

I am also trying to have a generally more active life, rather than be a gym bunny. I enjoy my PT, mostly because of my workout group buddies, it's quite social and fun. I think I'd hate it if it was just me and the PT. I am riding my bike quite a lot to go to the post office or shops etc rather than driving, which is saving me money and fat!

I am hopeful I can lose at least 0.5kg this week - I've had the monthly curse, but that's over and I didn't eat chocolate hehe.
  • Woohoo - lost 1kg this week! Very happy, as I ate more than usual (average 1578/day) and lost that much. I worked out my BMR and daily calorie needs, and tried to trust it (I usually aim for 1250/day!), and it worked out and I lost more!! So maybe I hadn't been eating enough, which is good!

Also rode my bike to training this morning and burned 1150 cals, so that's left me room for some nice dinner today! GOod luck weighing in, everyone!!
  • Onya Gen - that's fantastic

I lost stuff-all - 0.1kg, and I'm very frustrated. Nine weeks on a plateau, and I'm not liking it.

Going to sit down and tweak my goals, and see if I can't break this stupid plateau. grrr…
  • Oh Bugga, Don't want to come in here, but I confess I put on, .5 kg. That will teach me to pig out on the weekends lol.Ate everything that didn't run too fast.and drank everything that was wet, excpet for water. Happy to see some of us are losing though.
    Oh well better luck for me this week., I will have to get to that gym and well get my on that bike and pedel like ****.
    Perth chick, I think your theory is right. 50yrs ago ,it was grow your own veges and everyone had fruit trees etc. And was Mum telling you to eat your veges or you get them for breakfast lol. Now it's more like heres $5 go buy Mc D's.

Renney Sue, My dyna band is grey I am doing the same thing, tied mine up to a handle in the kithcen to remind myself to pull on it now and then. Seems to be working my shoulder does not wake me up in the middle of the nite now.

Nursing!!!! No! No! Not for me, I just could not put up with, not only the people moaning at you, but the doc's as well.
    And for the hard job that you do. They don't pay enough.
    I will stick to driving taxi's at least I can throw the passenger out the door if they get out of hand, can't do that when they are sick in a bed lol.
    Give me a drunk anytime. Well back to work for me,
    Have a good day.
    Mary
  • OMG Mary I can just see you oening the door and giving a good shove and tehm runing after teh cab I've been there done that with the drunks, except mines been behind the bar and at a 24hr servo (3am drunk munchers).

OK guys not good for the weigh in this week. Can I take a raincheck till next week? No? Damn! Well the scales say I have put on 2.5kg. How can that be? a week and that much weight? How depressing. With all the stress this week with my other half I didn't eat for 3 days and then I must admit that George was hanging around the last part of the week, and there's something about George that wakes up the all the Gremlins and Boogie Monsters in my head that tell me "Food is good, junk food is good, have it, have it all". I am going to weigh on wednesday when he has left the building.

I've drank NO water in a week and I know its naughty of me. So today I have already had 2 glasses of water, and I might walk up to get my daughter from school. It's bloody cold though so no telling if that'll happen. I'm also thinking to drink a warm glass of water on rising. Supposed to be a good detox for you and I know all the asians do it and they live forever.

OK Congrats to all who did lose, even the tiny bits. They all add up at the end of the day.

Gen I got a pedometer the other day from Big W. I can't understand how to work the bloomin thing. But I will try.

Tomorrows goal - Drink a litre of water,and no snacks. Maybe even a 15 minute walk around the bock.

Vonni
  • Mary, my mum reckons I like ICU because the patients are unconscious (usually) and can't answer back. I don't take crap from the patients! Most of mine are so sick they don't have the energy to be a hassle though!
  • Hello everyone - sort of went MIA the last week as my son was sick and we were up every night. He has finally slept through Fri night and the weekend but I am still catching up from a week of broken sleep- I dont know how I did it when he was little LOL. I havent weighed myself this morning, will do it tomorrow and post it - but I have been still exercising at the gym, that was my time last week LOL