Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/225/160

Height: 5'5

Default Running

Hi everyone, I really would like to start a running program or something that will be able to lead up to running someday but im having a lot of trouble starting. I know that once I get going I will be able to stick with it but its putting my shoes on and heading out the door that is the most difficult for me to do. If anyone has any ideas or helpful tips it would really help me out. Thanks
hstevens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'9"

You could try scheduling your runs. That helped me for a little while, putting it as part of my schedule w/ class and work made it a little bit easier because when I didn't do it, I felt like I was bailing on something important, by equating it was work or class time...

But, I am also struggling lately with keeping up with my running programs, some weeks I do all 3 plus some work outs and other weeks I barely get through 1
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #3  

I've been longing to start running for ages now... So I know what you mean about the 'getting out the door' part being the hardest.

I think a couple of things to keep in mind (not learned from experience, but from reading others' experiences around here) are:
1) Make sure you don't overdo it when you get out there the first time. If you kill yourself, you won't ever want to do it again.
2) The Couch to 5k program is supposed to be wonderful; my bookmarks were all deleted and so I can't remember where it is (runnersworld.com perhaps?). Hopefully someone else can remind us all
3) .....

Okay, I can't think of other "things to remember."

But as for being able to get out the door, running is supposed to make you feel absolutely incredible. Apparently it's very addictive, and you get a runner's high when you're finished with the run.... Which means, once you do find the strength to get out that door, you'll never want to stop So that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Good luck
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #4  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I love running! It's such a great way to relieve stress...once you get out there it will become addicting!! Good luck!! Here is the link to the C25k

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I started out with walking and increasing the pace until it got to the point where it was natural for me to just start jogging (say 500 metres or 1km) and then one day running was just normal!

The whole process probably took a month or so and i've now been running for just on a year. I LOVE it...it's completely changed my body, I've always been a pear and so carry my weight on the bottom end but running has given me an awesome bum, great thighs and defined calves...it's even given me defined abs! (Which you can start to see now my body fat's coming down)

I definitely second the natural high it gives you...once you hit that "zone" you feel like you could just go forever and it is definitely adicting...I get all cranky when I can't have my run lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #6  

I actually just started the C25K program last week. I did okay, but I was incredibly sore for a couple of days. I guess that just shows how out of shape I am...but I'm getting back out there tomorrow.
I've always seen myself as a runner, but I never could get out there and do it. Now I'm doing it! I'm so proud of myself and you can do it too.
wvwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #7  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

I really want to run, but its hard for me to get out there and do it everyday since I dont really have anyone to watch my son most days.
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

The first time is the hardest - but you just have to put on your shoes and do it! It gets easier and soon will become addicting!

Just tell yourself you're going for a walk, grab some music and get yourself outside. Once you're walking -- slowly start jogging. You can do it!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote