Terrible Night

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So last night I had a small party and fixed lots of yummy foods for my guest (brownies, frito pie, sandwiches, chips and dip) and they brought the alcohol..Long story short I got tipsey and ate/drank 2500 calories yesterday..I don't know why I keep sabatoging myself.
  • Ugh, that sucks but it happens to all of us. I find it is helpful to drink a lot of water the day after that kind of mistake. I don't know if it physically helps to flush out the calories, but it absolutely helps me feel more mentally on track. I figure that water allows my metabolism to work its best. Usually, by the end of the week, one bad night is only a small portion of the calories you consume and isn't the big deal that it felt like. The real sabotage comes when you let one bad night be an excuse for an entire bad day/week/month.

Oh, and next time you might be better off with veggie trays, fruit dishes, mini turkey sub sandwiches, baked chips, pretzels etc. No one will be sad if they don't gain weight at your party too
  • Okay. Now, that was a mistake but it is over with now.

Get up and dust yourself off and try, try again today.

You CAN do this. One slip is not going to knock you down.
  • That sort of night definitely has to be taken in stride. After all, it's unrealistic to say that we're never going to go wild at a party ever again! What counts is to be able to have occasional high-calorie days but have them more than balanced out with many more good days so that we keep losing!
  • I know every once in awhile isn't bad but I also had a night like this Friday grrrr. I'm slacking on my excercise because when I wake up hungover I don't want to goto the gym. Summer is making me even lazier. I just need someone standing over my shoulder every minute of every day reminding me I need to get healthy. I WANT THIS SOOOO bad but I keep messing up and making no progress it seems.

Thanks so much for your encouragment though. I know you all get tired of hearing the same things, but it really means the world to me to think someone really cares if I succeed or not.

I am going to the gym right NOW lol.
  • I've been having the same problem lately. It's hard to be social and diet. The food isn't the big issue for me, its the drinking! Two weekends ago I had a wedding and food wise I did awesome! But then I had 4 miller lites, a vodka tonic and a bloody mary. Then last weekend my hubby and I had a big party at our house. I had a few healthy options for snacks, but nobody ate those, it was the brownies and taco dip that were the favs. The thing that really got me was the 5 margaritas (cinco de mayo) and the 3 beers I had. Most of my friends get together and drink, so either I can go, not drink and be bored or I can join in... its a lose lose I guess. I just have to avoid the social scene some weekends so I can stick to my calorie range. The big problem this summer will be weddings. We have 6 more weddings before Sept... I just have to be really strict during every other day of the week I guess. Anyone have advice?
  • Hey Mandy and Mari-- I'm going through the same thing-- I had a party WEEKEND-- and went over 2000 4 times last week-- twice over 2500. Its so hard to see that when you've been working so hard.. but we CAN do this!!!

:-)
  • Thanks guys. It was more the drinks that put me under too. Even though I didn't make the best food choices I kept them in proportion and only ATE about 1600 Cals..but the drinking added almost another 1000. SIIIGGGHH. I love to party but I don't think it's going to work out lol.
  • That usually happens to me when I go to my parents house...there is usually at least ONE night where all we do is sit/stand around in the kitchen and drink copious amounts of wine, eat lots of nibbly food (like cheese, salami and rice crackers) and then have a good hearty meal (not unhealthy in and of itself...just eat way to much of it!)

The last one brought my days total to 2400 -sigh-

BUT I picked myself up and moved on and still managed to lose just under 2 pounds that week. I figure life is meant to be lived and every now and again its okay to share a great meal/time with people I care about so long as the rest of the time i'm sensible!
  • Girl, Its ok! Just DO NOT GIVE UP NO MATTER WHAT! I know Its hard, just try try again!
  • so i have the exact same problem. I'm 22 and I'm at the partying age. Well i was doing sooo good. I hadn't drank in a month and felt great about it. So last weekend rolls and around and what do you know my friend says we're going out. So I of course said ok well i'll just be your DD. do you think that happened. ooo no, I drank at the bar and after that went to a friends house and drank some more. I did it the next night too, but of course it was cinco de mayo so i had an excuse. Long story short, I screwed up, felt like crap for a few days and I haven't exercised since. I was doing so good, I lost ten pounds and this week i have probably gained it all back!! I'm staying positive though, this has been a crazy week of school and have no time to myself. I'm starting over fresh! Good luck...you'll get back on board!
  • Thanks. I am so glad so many people can relate. Why oh why does alchohol have to pack in so many calories??
  • You also may want to try lower calorie drinks. My favorite is Gin and Tonic, but you might also like Vodka Tonic or Rum and Diet Coke. At least that way you are getting your calories from the alcohol and not the fruity syrup poured on top of it.
  • I have weekends like that too. It happens to everyone at some point. I spent this past weekend in a cabin in the woods with a bunch of friends, and it was all eating junk food and drinking lots of beer. This morning I felt awful when I woke up. I feel bloated, fat and dissapointed in myself for blowing the diet. But I have a Tae Bo class tonight and I hope it kicks my a## back into shape.

One thing I have learned about weekends that I drink & pig out like that is NEVER weigh yourself. It was so tempting to weigh myself this morning, but I knew it would be BAD, and I would dwell on it all day long. I am going to wait until Wednesday before getting back on the scale. That way I know I will work hard and cut back on the junk food today and tomorrow, since that weigh in is looming in the near future.
  • When I drink, I space it out with water. Sometimes I think I just have to have something in my hand to sip on, so every other drink is water. Bonus: milder hangovers = gym in the morning.