Two more questions, sorry! (one about cardio/strength and one about yoga)

• Tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks until my birthday so I am setting myself the challenge of sticking to my diet and exercising every single day until then, I want to be able to treat myself a bit on my birthday and I want to feel like I really deserve it.

Anyway I'm putting together a workout routine but as I hate cardio, 20 minutes solid is going to be **** for me so I was wondering if it would be okay to do:

5 minutes on bike
    Stretches
    10 minutes on bike
    Upper body strength exercises
    10 minutes on bike
    Lower body strength exercises

I've read that you don't start burning calories until 20 minutes into your workout but then somewhere else, I read that short bursts of exercise throughout the day are just as effective as one big workout... SO confusing! I do wish there wasn't so many mixed messages about fitness and exercise in magazines etc. Can anyone help?

Also, those who practice yoga - how often do you recommend doing it? I have a book/CD combo that is an hour long and I was thinking three times a week but would more/less be better? Thanks!
  • I think three times a week for yoga would be perfect.

And I can assure you that you're burning calories every second that you're exercising. Yes, short bursts of cardio are as effective as one longer session. And you don't realize it, but what you have planned is really effective for fat burning because your heart rate is going to stay elevated throughout your whole workout. Alternating cardio and strength exercises is a great way to workout!

Good luck on your birthday challenge! It's a great gift that you're giving to yourself.
  • Excellent, just what I wanted to hear! Thank you Meg!
  • Hi Vicky,

About your yoga question.. I only practice yoga once a week, for about 75 minutes. I think ANY number of days/minutes you can give it is great. I would recommend going to a class or an instructor a few times, if you can, because it'll make the poses a lot easier and you'll be able to get maximum benefits