Cheese as Protein?

• I'm a little confused about something I think I read somewhere. Is it possible to use cheese as a protein instead of dairy? If so, is it the same amount of cheese? Thanks for the help
  • You can use cheese as a protein instead of a dairy. The amount you can have depends on your plan. One dairy is always 2 oz of cheese, but depending on your protein sizes, 1 protein is either 2 or 4 oz. Somebody else jump in if I'm wrong, but I think that's about right...
  • On the Gold plan, 2oz. of cheese can be used as either a Dairy or a Protein.
  • On Red 2 oz is One Protein.

I use it as a protein only as a last resort.
  • Thanks for the info. I'm on purple, so I'm assuming 2 oz. is one protein for me. Not very much.
  • I have my purple plan book from a couple of months ago, and it says 4 oz of cheese is 1 Protein. It's QUITE filling.
  • I'm on Red without Lites and mine says 4oz = 1 Protein
  • I guess that brings up another question. If you have your cheese as a protein, does it also count as your dairy, or do you also get another dairy serving?
  • If you use your cheese as a protein, you need to get in your dairy exchange.
  • Yup, it's a vegetarian protein. You could still have your dairy that day as well.
  • I use cheese often but when I have used it frequently my loss has been a bit slower.. it's higher in cholesterol and sodium so they suggest using one that has 3g of fat or less per serving.
    Hope this helps!
  • When I was on the Purple plan, I was having difficulties making the Veggie requirement. My counselor informed me that I could exchange a dairy... is this true? Anyone else ever hear that?
  • I've never heard that, and unfortunately I would doubt that it's true. Veggies are pretty important nutritionally, and I don't think a dairy is generally comparable (plus the average dairy exchange has quite a bit more calories than the average veggie).

I wish it was true though. I looooove my dairy
  • A dairy instead of Veggie?? I haven't heard about this either... But I'd trade in a heartbeat!!