Fiber One cereal and couscous

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is kind of a silly question, but what do these 2 things taste like? Are they an acquired taste, or are they pretty good?

I see these 2 things mentioned a lot, so I'd like to try them, but honestly, I can't make myself eat it if it tastes awful.
  • I had Fiber One cereal today for the first time. I wasn't so sure how it would taste because it looks different. I mixed it with Kashi Vive and it was great. It was so good I had a bowl for dinner because I was too busy to cook.
    Might be a little too much fiber for the day.
  • I like Fiber One. It's sweet and crunchy and quite good with just milk or also with a banana cut up in it. As for couscous, I've only had it once--over 30 years ago while on a trip to Paris (of all places to have couscous!). I was not a fan at that time and have avoided it ever since (but now that I'm more mature, I'm more willing to try it). Also, I have tried spelt (yummy) and quinoa (too much fiber--gave us all a touch of the runs the next day). In my pantry right now I have a mix that sounds good--quinoa, red spelt and orzo (orzo is a pasta).
  • They both taste great, but they are totally different kinds of things. Couscous is very versatile; it's a grain, so it can be eaten similarly to rice or pasta. You can add veggies and spices to it, eat it hot or cold, like I said it's very versatile. You can do a couscous recipe search on line and you'll find dozens of yummy recipes.

Fiber One is a cereal and comes in regular old Fiber One -- has aparatame in it. I prefer the Fiber One flakes because they don't have artificial sweetner -- I like it dry. Just plain or sprinkled on yogurt. Lots of 3FC'ers eat it dry as well; in fact, it's where I got the idea!

I say give them a try -- I think you'll like them both!
  • Fiber one isn't an unusual taste. They're pretty sweet from the artificial sweeteners. They kind of taste like vanilla wafers or graham crackers to me. I like it lots.

Not sure about couscous. I've never tried it.
  • Couscous is actually a pasta, a coarsely ground semolina pasta. A staple in many North African countries. I LOVE it.. it is very good made with veggie stock instead of water.. it IS fairly high in calories.. 1/2 Cup is a serving..
  • I love Fiber One Cereal and couscous. But for now I eat only the Fiber One, every day in fact. It's very crunchy and slightly sweet. Tastes great with milk. Or mixed into yogurt. Or in a salad in place of croutons. Or just to munch on plain. Couscous is a tiny pasta, very easy amd quick to make and it absorbs sauces and the like very well. I need to avoid it because I overeat it. Oh well.
  • Thank you all very much!

I will put both of these things on my next grocery list
  • Couscous is SO simple - just boil water, add the couscous, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork - done! You can substitute some chicken/vegetable broth for some of the HOH to make it more flavorful. Since it's a pasta, it's pretty bland just by itself.

It is great with scallions, herbs, lemon, dried fruits, nuts (almonds or pecans), carrots, zucchini, etc (of course, not all those things at once!).

I've never tried the Fiber One cereal - not much a cereal person myself. But I see a lot of people listing their fiber amounts, so maybe I'll pay more attention to mine.
  • there is also whole wheat couscous available but it is harder to find. (organic type places not safeway) it has the same calories, but much more fiber. I love couscous especially for nights like tonight when I had leftover meat and veggies and didnt get home until 7 and at 7:10 I had meat and veggies AND couscous.

I dont like fiberone because I dont like sweet cereal.
  • I prefer Kashi Go Lean over Fiber One and it has no artificial sweeteners in it. I think the fiber count is pretty close to each other.
  • Quote: there is also whole wheat couscous available
    I was going to mention this, too. When I first bought couscous, I did not realize there were whole and non-whole versions. I figure eating the non-whole wheat kind is just as "bad" (if you're trying to incorporate more whole foods into your diet) as white rice or regular white/enriched pasta. The Near East brand now at least makes a whole-wheat blend couscous that is available in most big grocery stores. I get my 100% whole wheat kind at Trader Joe's.

As for Fiber One, I agree that I prefer Kashi--especially GoLean Crunch (thought I'll do the Heart to Heart if I'm in the mood for something more Cheerios-like). I'm not necessarily trying to completely avoid artificial sweeteners--they don't make me sick or anything--but I figure the more natural the ingredients, the better (for me).
  • Quote: I prefer Kashi Go Lean over Fiber One and it has no artificial sweeteners in it. I think the fiber count is pretty close to each other.
    Fiber One has 14gms fiber per 1/2 cup. Kashi Go Lean has 5 gms fiber per 1/2 cup.

I personally have 1/2 cup of EACH mixed together for my breakfast.
  • I love couscous and use it like rice for a lot of dishes. I am conscious of the portion size (I love the idea of making it with stock - thanks!!).

I can't stand Fiber 1, I can't get over the artificial sweetener taste.
  • I love Fiber One and Fiber One honey clusters. I like cous cous also but i prefer quinoa, i make it with stock, it cooks way faster than rice and had way more protein. I buy mine a trader joe's but i'm sure there are other places you can get it.